Are There Any Games Like Autoduel?

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Anyone play any good post-apocalyptic rpg games using cars instead of people? It doesn't even have to be post-apocalyptic, just a good Autoduel like game that doesn't involve ONLY racing. It can have racing in it, but I don't want the whole game to be about that.

The reason I ask is because I bought Hard Truck Apocalypse: Rise of the Clans when it was on sale and while all of the ingredients are there for a good 'road warrior' type of game, it somehow misses the mark. Probably all the times my dang car gets stuck in some hole somewhere has something to do with my frustration over this game.

Darkwind comes awfully close to what I would love, but it's only on the net and I would like to play a single-player rpg game.

I've looked around and found that the only really popular ones are 'car racing/fighting' games. I want more rpg in it like with Autoduel or even Hard Truck.

So anyone played something I might have missed in my search? I don't care how old it is or on what platform. I'll buy a dang PS2 in a few months if it means that I can put the pedal to the metal in some Road Warrior type action.

Thanks in advance.

I have the original Hard Truck Apocalypse but never played it much.

Wasn't Rise of the Clans a multiplayer only expansion?

I played Hard Truck Apocalypse ... and if AutoDuel is anything like *that* I would never want to play. ;)

If Autoduel is what I'm remembering, that was an old Origin game where you basically had to survive a post-apoc type world and your car was your means of defending yourself. It would be VERY old. It was a pretty fun game.

Wasn't Rise of the Clans a multiplayer only expansion?

It's a stand alone expansion. Mobygames entry: http://www.mobygames.com/game/hard-truck-apocalypse-rise-of-clans

I haven't really played too much of it since I'm concentrating on another game right now. I did play about a couple of hours and my dang car got stuck 3 times. It's my own fault since I like to go off the beaten path and search around the world for hidden goodies, but still there should be some kind of key you can push to get out of those holes.

@TXA There are a few things in common with Hard Truck, but mostly Autoduel was ten times better even with the horrible graphics. The only problem I had with Autoduel was the really really really long drives between cities.

Darkwind has more in common with Autoduel than Hard Truck. Too bad Darkwind is only online or I would of bought that sucker in a New York Minute. Still I guess you can't look a gift horse in the mouth since Darkwind is free. You only have to pay if you want some extra goodies.

It looks like there are not that many 'Road Warrior' type games. Too bad more companies haven't tried to make this. I would think that cars plus Fallout would be a perfect match.

I never even heard of Hard Truck before the sale on Impulse. I thought this was the first one :)

Hi, I love these sort of games!

Unfortunately, Hard Truck Apocalypse, and the sequel/expansion Rise of Clans are the closest thing to Autoduel for Windows. I enjoyed them, but they are flawed, for sure.

If you've got a Game Boy Advance, or Nintendo DS (not DSi), I highly recommend Car Battler Joe. Game mechanics-wise, it's pretty much a remake of Autoduel, but with JRPG trappings.

Interstate '76 is an excellent game, but apart from a bit of inventory management (upgrading/repairing your car) it doesn't have any RPG elements. The sequel Interstate '82 was mostly a disappointment compared to the original, but I still mostly enjoyed it. Bandits: Phoenix Rising is a similar, lesser-known game.

Auto Assault

You would have loved Auto Assult, it was an Autoduel RPG fan's dream come true
(albeit in MMORPG form vs. standalone). Sadly there were some map/gameplay/pvp/crafting design flaws at higher levels, and it didn't quite take off. The servers were up for almost a year before they had to cancel the project due to lack of subscribers, I miss it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Assault

auto_large_2.jpg

I once tried to port Autoduel to NWN using the modern d20 haks but they were always too buggy, the buildings too big, and there was no way to change the player's movement controls, so cars could turn on a dime and could strafe left and right.

My only (theoretical) solution was one I was working on for the big ship in my U3 mod: when the player's appearance change to that of a car use an ignition system which constantly kept them moving, and poll the direction they moving to turn them or the appearance accordingly.

Don't forget, this was a Steve Jackson game before it was an Origin game.

And remember to drive offensively; the life you save may be your own.

Back
Top Bottom