SpellForce 2: FiD - Review @ GameBanshee

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Gamebanshee reviews Faith in Destiny the stand-alone expansion pack to Spellforce 2 leading to the following conclusion:
Creating an expansion pack for a six-year-old game is one of the most curious things I've ever seen a developer do, and I've been covering games for a while now. I liked the earlier SpellForce games pretty well, but I don't think they're particularly well-known or have a rabid following, so Faith in Destiny was likely doomed from the start -- even if it has been a quality addition, which it isn't. If the idea of playing an RPG/RTS hybrid appeals to you, then I'd recommend the earlier SpellForce games and perhaps even Dragonshard before wasting any money on Faith in Destiny.
More information.

Ah yeah, I wish this review would have been out before I bought it. I enjoyed SP2 and my disk version is impossible to get to work on Win7 and it sounded fun so I picked it up for ~$7 during the Steam sale. Wasn't worth it.

The Campaign was very short, the first time I finished it there was virtually no warning, I thought I crashed to the main menu so I reloaded my last save and beat it again. Oh, that was just an abrupt end to the game, confusing.

I could handle it looking old for some satisfying gameplay but this isn't it. If you're remotely considering it, don't, save your money.

Ah yeah, I wish this review would have been out before I bought it. I enjoyed SP2 and my disk version is impossible to get to work on Win7 and it sounded fun so I picked it up for ~$7 during the Steam sale. Wasn't worth it.

The Campaign was very short, the first time I finished it there was virtually no warning, I thought I crashed to the main menu so I reloaded my last save and beat it again. Oh, that was just an abrupt end to the game, confusing.

I could handle it looking old for some satisfying gameplay but this isn't it. If you're remotely considering it, don't, save your money.

I also bought it on the Steam sale but haven't played it yet, so at least now I'm prepared to be disappointed.
I still love SpellForce 2 so was hoping for more of the same really, too bad.

It is the same as SP2, it's just very short and the level gains and items aren't very even since they rush you through 30 levels on 4 maps.

I never even made use of any of the crafted quest items the game went so fast, and it was very unclear you could travel back to the original land to the vendor who crafts them. Just as the game ended I thought it was about to open open up to the city map like SP2 did and I'd start turning in all my crafting objects. Not so much.

I remember this so so game, medicore stuff but really hot chicks on the promos!!

I also picked it up on the Steam sale but haven't got around to playing it yet. I really enjoyed Spellforce 1 & 2, though Dragon Storm wasn't as good.

It seems like the unfinished JoWood titles that Nordic Games picked up just weren't up to par. Arcania wasn't too bad, though not a Gothic, but the Fall of Setarrif was that was unfinished when JoWood went bankrupt was not very good at all.

Having Spellforce running on widescreen is pretty cool.

SP campaign aside, the question is does it have the optional goodies like the enjoyable "free play" mode, skirmish mode, and co-op multiplay that the original SF2 has? If it does, than it very well may be worth the 20 bucks for fans of the series.

Back
Top Bottom