King's Bounty - Review @ GameZone

magerette

Hedgewitch
GameZone posts their review of Katauri Interactive's strategy/rpg hybrid, King's Bounty the Legend, giving it a score of 8.2/10:
However, the sound and graphics will fade to the rear when the game's strong point, the fighting system, comes into play. Using the hired muscle to move and attack on the battlefield grid is a pure pleasure as you use strategy and cunning to usurp your foes. Standing towards the back, you can launch magical attacks and really light up your enemies. I personally will always have an affinity for turn-based RPGs and this one does not disappoint with its really deep combat system. There's even treasure chests and such that appear mid battle that can help or hurt you when you open them. Commanding your minions to take moves around the grid, kind of like a chess game, the well laid-out battlefields, the varied attacks you can get when you start really loading up your troops ... I can't do it justice, just know that the game's fighting is really well done.
More information.

That's a perfect definition of the game Mage: strategy/rpg hybrid. It has both turn based and real time elements, so dropping such adjectives to "strategy" makes sense.

The reviewer noticeably repeats himself, of course fighting is a main point of the game but it only needs mentioning once. Not a mention of rare armour or armour set building, rare artifacts, rare reward items, weapons, the uprading system of magical staves for example, etc' . Surprisingly never once did he mention the 'chest of rage' an absolute cornerstone of the fighting system. Not a mention of wives and quest flow importance, not a mention of tournament functions, not a mention of critical attributes such as rage, or of allegience, or of morale. Not a mention of game fights within artifacts, rings belts, etc. Not a mention of population and castle control. He chose a paladin and gave review points of a paladin, well good for him, a middle ground character selection does not give a middle ground game review.

Every reviewer IMHO should state how long the game has been played but then if they said five hours or level two they would understandably be kicked off the stage. As a reviewer is supposed to paint a picture or overview of the game to prospective players, i think he has failed to communicate the purpose.

It's pretty damn good and relatively bug free. I've only noticed one bug so far, a quest that interfered with another one.

Wulf's post makes me want to play the game more than the review! lol

I'm going to get it soon too, putting a new bigger hard drive in my pc tonight, so I wont have to pick and choose what to have on or not. 80 gigs just isnt enough for a gamer anymore!

I'm going to get it soon too, putting a new bigger hard drive in my pc tonight, so I wont have to pick and choose what to have on or not. 80 gigs just isnt enough for a gamer anymore!

80 gigs!?! How did you last this long? :lol: I had an 80 gig hard drive in 2002.

heh my laptop has 2 250gb drives.....the game is good btw really enjoying it....can get tough at spots

I've got the demo on the back burner, because I know as soon as I play it I'll have to give up my idea of waiting for the price to drop. :) Actually, this sounds exactly like the kind of game I should be supporting by buying it full price.

Yeah it's a tough one mags - im putting it off too. Harder for me tho, i played the demo and it rocks. Im generally not real crazy about TB, but the real-time traveling/exploration and such seems to make it not such a snoozer for me.

Im strong just as long as it's physically not on the shelf in front of me in a store. I better stay out of the game aisle!

It is a bad sign (in a good way...or would that be a good sign in a bad way? ) when I look out the window and the sun is rising =/. Lets just say that, at least for me, King's Bounty is a fun game =).

I've got the demo on the back burner, because I know as soon as I play it I'll have to give up my idea of waiting for the price to drop. :) Actually, this sounds exactly like the kind of game I should be supporting by buying it full price.

Yeah it's a tough one mags - im putting it off too. Harder for me tho, i played the demo and it rocks. Im generally not real crazy about TB, but the real-time traveling/exploration and such seems to make it not such a snoozer for me.

Just how much do you want the price to drop? The game is on sale thru Sunday at Circuit City for $29.99. Stop whining and go get it! ;)

*Edit* Played through the night, I can barely keep my eyes open right now. :)

You seriously must get this game!

Last edited:
Just how much do you want the price to drop? The game is on sale thru Sunday at Circuit City for $29.99. Stop whining and go get it! ;)

*Edit* Played through the night, I can barely keep my eyes open right now. :)

You seriously must get this game!

It costs me about $8.00 in gas just to get to Circuit City. ;)

But you are definitely making me think it might be worth it.

*sigh* The game doesnt seem available anywhere in Canada yet and while I could download the game, seems my only option to get a boxed copy is to order it from the US and pay a way too high shipping fee.

There's a few threads going on in the news comments about this so I started one in the forums

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5616

maybe the eds can consolidate some of these. wulf's summary of just what's wrong with that review is a good one, though the review was fairly positive.

Back
Top Bottom