RPGWatch Feature: Dungeons of Dredmor Interview

Dhruin

SasqWatch
With Dredmor almost ready to ship, Skavenhorde catches up with Gaslamp to discuss this humorous, graphical roguelike. Here's a snip:
RPGWatch: What are some of the main stats and secondary stats that the character will have?

David: The six primary stats are Burliness, Nimbleness, Sagacity, Caddishness, Stubbornness, and Savvy. We used to have normal stat names but one day I was listening to a podcast on pen & paper RPG design and it brought up the point that you should focus the mechanics of your game on what the game is actually about. Is the game about hope? - make "hope" a stat. When you make a stat it becomes something the player will focus on and will be rewarded for focusing on.

Dredmor doesn't have anything as avant-garde as "hope" as a stat, but I figured we could make these names a little more interesting to signal to the player that they weren't dealing with a normal game here, and that these stat names might imply a bit of undermining of the usual upstanding heroic virtues.

Anyway, these primary stats trickle down to a ton of secondary stats that actually matter in game. Some are pretty obvious like "dodge", "melee power", and "alchemy level".

Less obvious is "enemy dodge reduction" which I ought to explain: Basically, a Real Hero never misses, right? What actually happens is that the enemy dodges an attack which was aimed true (of course). So instead of increasing your ability to not-miss, you're really reducing the enemy's ability to dodge your attacks. It makes sense!
Read it all here.
More information.

You're going on vacation too? I would guess it'll be released sometime this week. I know there are no major bugs in it (or at least there weren't the last time I played) so the delay probably has something to do with ironing out the details with the distributors.

You'll need the vacation time too. I'm still hooked on this dang game. I was playing it straight for two or three weeks. I would still be playing it a bit between trips to Frayed Knights if they hadn't wiped out my beta. Absolutely great game with endless replay value.

… I'm still hooked on this dang game. I was playing it straight for two or three weeks. I would still be playing it a bit between trips to Frayed Knights if they hadn't wiped out my beta. Absolutely great game with endless replay value.

sounds good - you get a rat-pic for this ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• rat_teddy.jpg
    rat_teddy.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 97
Ok, that is too adorable. Thanks Hiddenx. Glad to see some rat appreciation here :)

If you guys get bored you can always read Jay Barnson or my preview over at his sight. I know I have a few times just waiting for the announcement that they're releasing it. Sigh…..Well at least I got Frayed Knights and that one is great as well. I couldn't have planned this more perfectly if I had actually done it myself. One beta ends and another begins.

Last edited:
2011 is / will be a great crpg-year -> all the indie stuff + Witcher 2 + Elder Srolls V + Risen 2. I hope that I'll have enough time to play through all of them.

Last edited:
Who are these players that complain about the price being too low? You want to complain, yell about how Daggerdale is $14.99, which is entirely too much (even though it's the way 4th edition D&D is meant to be played :p )

Who are these players that complain about the price being too low?

ItÄ's easy, imho :

Because people will get used to that.

And if a game is above of this "industry standard" of prices - it is more likely to become pirated than ever ! - Imho.

This is what I fear. hat people just won't be willing to pay< more than a small sum - and ONLY the "biggies" in the business can afford it !

It imho destroys those developers who need EVERY PENNY !

Regardless of what Dreadmore does, I'm pretty sure that we will see a trend downwards on the price of games over the years as electronic distribution becomes more and more commonly used.

Back
Top Bottom