The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Though that can be attributed to a differently capable character. My Cleric can hold her own in a fight, but her damage output doesn't come close to matching my Paladin. Thus, my Paladin rushes out, smiting evil because that's what she's very good at. At the same time, she can, if there's a moment, run and drop some healing on an ally if needed.

My Sorcerer is a bit of a coward since, if she lands up front, she WILL die quickly. So she hangs back, and spams magic missile and wands, or runs like hell if anything comes after her.

My Cleric is a bit in-between, since I tend to rush in with her. But she does heal others as needed, and provides a few basic necessities (Prot: Energy FTW!).

They play style tends to change because each character is vastly different in what they can do. If I ever create a Rogue, that'll be played in a different manner as well.

Did Corwin really say he dislikes playing evil characters? (Rubs eyes, scratches head, and then has to ponder that one more time.) I get it....he was being funny I guess. ;)

Let's see, I stand back and try to charm or hypnotise critters so they won't attack, while YOU rush in to massacre everything not in the party. Who's the EVIL one??!! :)

The truly good guy is Peter the Paladin. He rushes to get in the way of Corwin's sorcerer (Reywind) so the monsters won't get harmed by his spells. :wings:

Corwin told me he loves to get the message from the game that the spell can't be cast because sight blocked to target. :p

Well, I got tired of taking trap damage on Fridays, so I built a Rogue. Been farming Muckbane mostly (got one, gotta get another one so I can dual-wield it) here lately.

Talhoffer currently uses two halflings for his main weapons, two kobolds for backup, and has a muckbane. He also drinks more potions than booze, because potions give a better buzz.

I've just created a (now) level 3 rogue also so Jo can play something else. Rogues are more difficult to solo than Casters, I think.

Rogues have issues early because they're totally dependent on pots to heal. Later, once the UMD is good enough, you can just use wands. Not perfect, but still, it's better than a pure fighter or wizard will get. I ended up sending a bunch of pots from my Paladin and Cleric over to my Rogue, just to help keep up.

You're also pot-dependent for buffs and resists.

Solo Rogues are also gimped because you don't get your sneak attack damage very often while solo. Whereas your the DPS king (or queen) in a party. +1d6 damage on top of 1d10 + 1d6 + 5, or 8-27 damage a hit, non-critical while sneak attacking.

Mine struggled also because while I took 2 weapon fighting at level 1, I didn't get weapon finesse for my high Dex, low STR rogue until level 3.

I took TWF at level one, took a level of fighter and got OTWF at level 2, then took toughness at level 3. I also dual wield Dwarven Axes. Took Dwarf for the con bonus and the free exotic weapon feat. I basically gave up skill points for a feat. I can still handle traps in the harbor on elite, and find secret doors, so I'm doing alright.

You can buy Veteran Status so you can start new characters at level 4. It's on sale right now for 796 points (20% off) under Premium Items -> Account Items. You can even buy 32 point characters.

I got a Drow for the 32 point build inherent with it. As I've filled up my 4 slots now, I think I'll pass on getting veteran status. :)

@Thrasher, I may be missing the obvious but I am not sure about your question. If you mean just run away and come back, yes but the darn things usually have healed up when you find them again. You can usually pull a few if you don't run too far off and thus win slowly but surely.

Yeah, i was thinking a stealth approach using sneak attacks, where you stealth, sneak attack, run away, stealth and repeat. Just wondering if that was a viable technique...

Using stealth can work to a limited extent, but not when facing 20+ enemies. Remember, the game is designed primarily for group play and stealth doesn't work too well with lumbering Paladins, fighters, and Barbarians!! :)

I've solo'd a rogue up to level 3 and used stealth quite a bit, but sometimes it doesn't work. Some critters don't seem to be affected by your stealth. Give it a try, it's free. :)

Well, the main thing is that "sneak attack" means the rogue is attacking a critter already attacking someone else. So a solo rogue can only occasionally pull of an actual sneak attack, and I'm not sure if that's not a bug in an of itself when it does happen.

I've used stealth some, and it is good for certain missions, but the vast majority are built so that it's best to have 2-3 fighters in front, drawing the aggro, then the rogue moving in to do the real high damage. Clerics have the option of moving in and bashing stuff or holding back and healing, CC, and damage spells, as the Cleric wants. Wizards/Sorcs have the option of dying or casting cc and damage spells.

I think most parties won't wait around for a sneaking rogue either, since it drops your walking speed down. Considering how many times I've dealt with people rushing out ahead *coughpetercoughcough* and getting killed while on my Cleric (with some blaming me for it) I wouldn't be surprised.

Most of the quests up to level 6 can easily be soloed though, so it's not like you're going to find it impossible. And if you do need help, hirelings are available. They're stupid, about like 90% of the random groups you'll form from the chat window.

I need to buy that veteran character deal, and the 32 point spread. I wonder if it stacks with Drow? I'm about 100 favor from unlocking them with my Paladin.

You can even buy Greater Heart of Wood (under stats and leveling -> incarnation) that will convert your 28pt character to a 32pt character. You can then respec your character from level 1 and rectify any mistakes I bought that item for both my paladin and cleric and booster my dex from 8 to 12. That gives me 2 better AC and it helps a lot. You need to have purchased the 32pt build before you can buy greater heart of wood.

I don't think you need to get a veteran character if you've already played solo to level 3, Corwin. ;) Since we do the level 3+ missions on hard or elite in our group you will quickly get the XP you need to get to level 4.

Back
Top Bottom