Major Explosion in Oslo - Pm's office destroyed

Edit: An interesting bit of info on NZZ.ch: apparently PM Stoltenberg was to talk at the camp on the same day.

That is correct. Traditionally leaders of the Labour party visit the youth camp every summer.

Edit: I'm completely devastated! When I went to bed last night the number of deaths at Utøya was "downgraded" to 10 confirmed deaths, a number that was expected to increase somewhat. And I woke up to 84! And still there are several people missing/unaccounted for.

Edit 2: They're searching the waters around the island, as several tried to escape by swimming.

Last edited:
The plot is sinister as fuck. The bomb allowed him to travel to the island disquised as police officer fully armed under the pretense of a terror threat. It is clear now that the island was the main target. The planning required, setting up a biofarm to gain access to bomb materials, timing the events, it still baffles my mind that one person could wreak so much havok.

Some witnesses say he was talking on a headset during the massacre, which may suggest there were more people involved. The police won't confirm that, however.

Other witnesses say he went calmly around shooting people. Very scary.

Well, I guess none can write "why don't christians" do these kind of things anymore....... 32 years old white man, christian, well educated, thinks the world and norway are not hard enough on muslisms. According to sources.

I cannot imagine the horror of the parents who had children on the island. My thoughts are with them.

According to a survivor of the attack, the suspect's name is Anders Behring Breivik. That's what is being reported by CNN World news.

The same report also seems to verify that indeed more than 80 people were killed.:(

The police has confirmed his identithy.

The confirmed numbers of deaths are 7 in Oslo city and 84 at Utøya. The numbers are likely to increase. The search is continuing. Additionally several people are critically injured.

The name is Anders Behring Breivik. He is a rightwing christian conservative extremist who on his facebook page wrote frequent criticism about the "Islam-friendly" left-wing.

Having watched the Swedish right-wing nationalist party react to this have been very interesting. Yesterday they blamed Islam at once. Today they erased these posts.

Initially this seemed like the greatest propaganda that the nordic right-wing conservative parties could have hoped for, today it seems like the greatest blowback they faced yet.

He definitely wanted to make a political statement. Through some demented logic he must had concluded that to combat multiculturalism and set the path for the future he had to eliminate its perceived enabler - the Labour Party. From his writings he seemed particularly concerned about islamists gradually overtake Europe through population growth. I wouldn't speculate in what role faith played yet though. It might just be part of the image as a nationalistic conservative. His source for intellectual discussions on the internet will definitely get scrutinised in the coming days.

Last edited:
I was initially a critic to the label "islamophobia" since it was used to attack legitime critizism to Islam. Eventually I begun to reconsider. There is an irrational fear of Islam, a fear that goes far beyond simply pointing out the problems with Islam. Islamophobia believes in a real conspiracy where left-wing groups cooperate with Islamists to make Europe (or whatever) into a muslim stronghold. I have encountered this quite alot on popular rightwing forums, where critizism against right-wing extremism is considered "support for Islamism".

I saw a quote a commentator had done that sums this up;
När man dessutom likställer kristendom med den rent luciferiska dödssekten islam - då har man mer eller mindre avslöjat sig som medlöpare till islamisterna, om man inte är islamist själv.
When one equalize Christianity with the Luciferian death-sect Islam - one have more or less revealed oneself as an ally to the islamists, if one isn't islamist

I think the key to understand something like this, is that it's the act of a human being, not his beliefs. You have to be motivated to do something like this, and it's a kind of motivation that doesn't need any specific belief to go from thought to action. He could have used any delusional interpretation of any belief to act on his motivation.

I fear things like this will confuse the fact that we're fundamentally flawed, and that what we believe or what we stand for will never take that away. We must look at ourselves first, before we look for external causes.

Every belief or non-belief can be twisted into a reason for almost any act. We have an inherent incapacity to act rationally - if we're sufficiently motivated for destruction or self-destruction.

Now there are cooming reports that there might have been a second man involved, some witnesses said they are sure about that, but given how shocked they must have been, I think it is not reliable enough. Anyone else heard this? or know anything about it?

I have no idea, but I'm pretty much refreshing all major newspapers to find more info on this.

Like pibbur I went to bed hearing the number 10 and woke up to 84 (+ 7 from the bomb). This is insane. It was a massacre. A single shooter killing 84 people, most of them teenagers..

The truth of the matter is, this man alone has done more to harm Norway than Islam as a whole ever has, despite being over a billion people.

This is getting scarier by the day. To pull something like this off there must be lot of other people behind the scene.

I think the key to understand something like this, is that it's the act of a human being, not his beliefs.

False dichotomy. You need to understand their interaction.

False dichotomy. You need to understand their interaction.

Didn't you promise to place me on ignore? It would help to not bog the thread down with you not understanding anything I'm saying through several pages.

Back
Top Bottom