Project Eternity - Update #4, DRM-Free, Digital Tiers and Add-Ons

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Update #4 has been released for Project Eternity, offering a DRM-free option via GOG, digital reward tiers, addons and beta access for the $140 Collector's Edition. They have also announced a series of updates:
Well you all did it, you helped us get to $1.6M and we now have a Mac version and are adding more story into the world.
We have also been listening and reading your feedback on Kickstarter and have some changes that are happening as soon as this update is posted. One thing, we are not updating just yet are the stretch goals, but don’t worry those are going to get updated very soon. Oh, and we are putting a schedule together for updates that will include guest stars almost every day – Josh will be talking more about the design tomorrow (Sep 20), our unflappable CTO Chris Jones (architect of the Fallout and Arcanum engines) on Friday (Sep 21), and I think we will be able to squeeze one in from Mr. Tim Cain over the weekend.
So, what are those changes?!?

DRM Free Option

You asked and we are delivering. In conjunction with GOG, we are going to offer a DRM free version of the game for our Kickstarter Backers. When the campaign ends, you will be able to choose whether you would like a key from GOG or Steam. For our Mac friends, we are still working on a DRM free option, since GOG does not currently support the Mac. Oh, and the great guys at GOG are having a special right now on all of the great Infinity Engine games, so check that out as well.

New Digital Tiers

We are adding a $50 and an $80 digital tier. The $50 tier will get you the digital version of the game, the soundtrack, the digital version of the Collector’s Book, a collection of wallpapers made for multiple resolutions and multiple monitors, high resolution concept art, a high resolution version of the map, and ringtones. For the $80 tier, you will get all of that plus a digital copy of the strategy guide, and a second digital download of the game.
Head over for the full text.
More information.

Glad to see they're doing a DRM free version on GOG. Great site and great to get the games without DRM (since if its half as good as they say it will be, I'll want to play it again several times over the years).

I don't see what's the big fuss over that. Steam is not really DRM. You need it to install the game, but after that you don't need it.

I don't see what's the big fuss over that. Steam is not really DRM. You need it to install the game, but after that you don't need it.

Actually you do need it even in offline mode. The game excutable is modified such that it will not run without starting Steam first. I am one of those people that don't like another process running in the background even if small.

I use Steam all the time without any problems, but there is this thought in the back of my mind that I should anticipate the worset when Steam decides rightfully or wronglly to suspend my account (or probably start charging me extra to maintain my library of games!) without providing me access to games that I previously purchased.

Steam is not really DRM.

"DRM-free" implies that you do not need 3rd party software, an on-line account and on-line activation during each install.

Additionally, as a side effect, a Steam exclusive game allows publishers to impose regional policies, a very very very bad thing. Just ask our German, Australian and East-Europeans friends.

Last edited:
Actually you do need it even in offline mode. The game excutable is modified such that it will not run without starting Steam first. I am one of those people that don't like another process running in the background even if small.

Whether a company chooses to use encrypted executable is up to them - not all games released on steam use this.

Whether a company chooses to use encrypted executable is up to them - not all games released on steam use this.

Yeah, I think Paradox's internally developed games, for example, just need Steam for installation. After that you can copy the folder, use the copied folder, and the game works fine.

I have not yet come across a game in my Steam library that I can simply double click on its executable and it will run, they all come up with error messages or require the Steam client! Maybe as killias2 said, it would work for Paradox games.

They require online activation at first use, and again if you want patches. Other than that, you can choose to run Steam in Offline mode and shut down the internet.

Because of confusion.

There has been a mixing between people who are displeased by DRM and people who dont see the benefit of forcing an internet connection on games that are primarily single player games.

It is not about Steam being DRM or not, it is about the usefulness of Steam (or any internet connection device) to a SP game.

Some customers like to underline how Steam suits their consumption habits. Without ever telling how Steam improves the game.

I could care less if a game comes with DRM as long as it does not require the Internet and therefore a connection for a game whose gameplay is not bettered by the Internet connection.

I have not yet come across a game in my Steam library that I can simply double click on its executable and it will run, they all come up with error messages or require the Steam client! Maybe as killias2 said, it would work for Paradox games.

Right most companies chose to use executable encryption - which requires steam to launch. That's because this service is free to the developers and also part of steamworks developer kit. Some do however opt not to use it in which case games can work as Skyrim did at launch when the executable encryption was accidentally left out.

Also, update 5 has been posted which discusses some more about the setting and a new limited 5k tier.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/312639

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom