Forum Bug Reports and Feature Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you click on LAtest Post on the forums main page, it will take you straight there.

That is what I always do ... but when someone comes from the front news page it takes them to page 1 despite talking about 'recent'.

Are you sure you have configured your User Profile Options correctly? You have to tell the forum software that you want to see the latest posts first.

Are you sure you have configured your User Profile Options correctly? You have to tell the forum software that you want to see the latest posts first.

I never worry, because as I say I almost never use the front page for anything.

But I guess the initial question was about whether clicking on a thread in the 'latest posts' area should bring you to a post from when the site opened in general ...

I've gotten used to it, but I'll echo that the ability to jump directly from the front page to the latest post would be a nice feature and falls in line with the "active topic" theme. I always visit the front page for news then move deeper based upon Forum/News watch topics. The workaround (Last>>Scroll) is far from being a chore, but if this represented an easy change from an effort/technical standpoint then it would be a welcome one. I can't remember, now- how did that section work at RPGDot?

Are you sure you have configured your User Profile Options correctly?
What's there to configure?
You have to tell the forum software that you want to see the latest posts first.
??? The only "forum software" I know of is vBulletin v3.7.4

I've gotten used to it, but I'll echo that the ability to jump directly from the front page to the latest post would be a nice feature and falls in line with the "active topic" theme. I always visit the front page for news then move deeper based upon Forum/News watch topics. The workaround (Last>>Scroll) is far from being a chore, but if this represented an easy change from an effort/technical standpoint then it would be a welcome one. I can't remember, now- how did that section work at RPGDot?

It wouldn't be a nice feature, it is a nice feature. ;)
You can enable it in the "User CP". I tested it 30 seconds ago. Both the news comments and the forum links on the front page open with the latest post on top.

Under User CP choose 'edit options' and there near the end is the option for thread behavior - 'oldest first' or 'newest first'.

What's there to configure?
30+ pages of options.
??? The only "forum software" I know of is vBulletin v3.7.4
That would be a good start. ;)

edit: Thanks, Mike. It's almost impossible to remember where all these options are.

It wouldn't be a nice feature, it is a nice feature. You can enable it in the "User CP". I tested it 30 seconds ago. Both the news comments and the forum links on the front page open with the latest post on top.

I think the problem is that for some it isn't a workable solution. After so many years of usenet and forums and so on, I like to have things in a 'oldest first' order (yes I know that more recent usenet software could do things either way as well).

So ultimately you have to choose which is more important - the order for viewing forums, or what you see when you click from the front page.

Look at the attachment to see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 56
I've forwarded this suggestion to our Master, shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

A larger value on the TIMEOUT would be nice. I'm a slow writer and I always need to copy & paste what I'm writing to notepad, so I don't loose it when posting after a timeout.

from vbulletin: Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options -> Session Timeout

I think it's about 7-10min now.

Another request while I'm at it:
"My posts" in forums menu (the one on top) that searches for all post with your username. Bold entries in the search result gives updated threads, so it's easier to follow multiple discussions. I'm not a fan of thread subscription. :)

Well, I'm logged in here about 12 hours a day and have never had a timeout for anything. Must be a setting you can change somewhere.

Can't find any setting for it in the control panel. I think this stuff is only available in the admininstrators panel.

It might be something wrong with cookie handling in my browser, even though Firefox shows cookies from rpgwatch.com in the privacy settings.

ed: It's mentioned here to be about 1200 seconds. I'm probably just too slow. :)

Well, I'm logged in here about 12 hours a day and have never had a timeout for anything. Must be a setting you can change somewhere.

Is it when you choose 'reply' and then a timeout starts? Personally I tend to use quick reply half the time - or type short stuff like this. Or, if more than that, I copy, re-select reply, and paste.

Did you select "keep me logged in"?

Yes.
You can log out, clear cache and cookies, restart the browser and login again to make sure everything's right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom