Good Old Games - All Interplay Games 50% Off

aries100

SasqWatch
Good Old Games has a summer staycation sale where you can get 50% of all Interplay Games like Fallout
Here's a snip from the announcement:
Staycations’ are all the rage as the economy continues slowly staggering back towards recovery. But even if you're not looking to save cash on your summer vacation, there are still reasons why you should keep indoors, on your PC, and enjoy some classics. Vacations can be expensive (and dangerous!) so why put yourself through all the hassle when you can have a similar experience for much less with GOG.com?
The first staycation sale will end on July 4th 2011
More information.

I noticed that all the Infinity Engine games are listed as:

# Black Isle Studios / Atari
or
# BioWare / Atari

No mention of Interplay on them, and hence they are not included in the sale. I guess they don't go based on the original publisher anymore?

I've never played Fallout 1 or 2, and I'm really tempted. I have so many damn games stacked up right now it would be almost stupid to buy it regardless of price.

No, it's never stupid to buy the original Fallouts. Great games. I say you should buy them and move them on top of the game stack. :p

I've never played Fallout 1 or 2, and I'm really tempted. I have so many damn games stacked up right now it would be almost stupid to buy it regardless of price.

I was in the same boat but I just bit the bullet and bought the damned things. I mean $2.99 is cheaper than a coffee these days so it's hard to argue with that. And I, err, will get around to playing them...someday....I hope. :-/

Anyone have any thoughts on Fallout: Tactics? Is it pretty much just your run of the mill RTS dressed up in classic Fallout clothing?

As I remember for years back there was a demo made for Fallout: Tactics that I played. I enjoyed it immensely. Basically, it is a soldier tactics game, in which you do missions and such, but in the Fallout universe.

As for the Infinity Engine games made by Bioware and Black Isle, the rights to those reverted back to or are now held by the current holder of the D&D IP, Atari.

I keep dreaming of all the infinity games that could of came out if interplay didn't ruin themselves and continued to publish. A dream thats all. Since Bioware claims Baldur's gate was a mistake to make.

Last edited:
Anyone have any thoughts on Fallout: Tactics? Is it pretty much just your run of the mill RTS dressed up in classic Fallout clothing?

I just recently discovered Fallout: Tactics myself, and I think it's a highly underrated game. You can play it with real-time combat or, if you prefer, turn-based combat. I personally think that this type of tactical game is better suited for turn-based, but it's nice that you can choose an option that best fits your own preferences. The only "problem" with playing in turn-based mode is that some of the levels can take a really long time to complete. Other than that mostly minor issue, I'm a little more than halfway through the game and enjoying it quite a bit. I definitely wouldn't consider it a run of the mill tactical game in fallout clothing, so I recommend trying it out.

Ooo, Freespace 2 for $3. PC Gamer pointed out a graphics upgrade for it in their previous issue. Tempting....

Fallout: Tactics is actually one of the best squad-based tactical semi-rpg's ever in my opinion. Right up there at the top together with JA2 and the UFO-games.

I always play it in real-time though, the UI is really good and the game just feels smoother in real-time. And I'm a big fan of turn-based games, it's just that whenever they make options to please both of the camps the real-time one usually is better. Try it, I doubt you'll regret it.

Tomas

Weeel, I still like the original Fallouts more than Fallout:Tactics - to me, it was a great game, but:

Fallout: Tactics = Fallout - open world - good story + linearity.

Still, have finished and enjoyed it several times (one solo-run). Also, it occurred to me, that even while you can play the game in turn-based mode, it wasn't really meant to be played that way.

Are the interplay games on sale till July 4th? Travelling abit and rather wait till I stop to purchase. Also anything other than fallout particularly good ?

Isn't freespace free these days ? I loved that game; but my joystick requires a gameport and none of the new computers support it :(

Not just RPGs but as a whole there're great games in Interplay's catalogue. I've already bought all the Interplay RPG titles earlier in gog (Actually nearly all the RPG titles in their site).This's really a bargain and I recommend Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Stonekeep and Lionheart if you haven't bought all ready. All of them are great titles and must be played if you love RPGs. There's no mention what Fallout is. Both Fallout 1 and 2 offers a true roleplaying experience with lots of sidequests, more than one way to solve quests, moral choices, free roaming gameplay, etc. Everything a serious RPGamer could ask for. Stonekeep is a classic dungeon crawler in the veins of Eye of the Beholder, it stands out with its digitialized graphics. Lionheart sets in an alternative Earth. Like other Black Isle titles it offers lots of quests, interesting characters (some of them are famous historical figures) and combine them with Diablo style gameplay. I remember it's an ambitious title from Black Isle and Reflective. But somewhat it falls short because in the middle of the game, it turns to a linear hack&slash. By the way, if you decide to play the game I strongly recommend to read the alternative history of the game world, it's pretty long and really increase your immersion to the game.

Interplay has some great non-RPG titles as well and with the % 50 discount I bought Giants: Citizen Kabuto, MDK2, Sacrifice and Kingpin. Gog continues to drain my wallet. :)

With so many great titles Interplay represents the golden age of PC gaming for me. I can't find that spirit nowadays. Maybe I'm getting old.

Fallout Tactics is fun, cant complain too much for that price. I got all the fallout games, just to have them free of DRM and 7x64 ready. Picked up the Stonekeep one, looks intersting. Maybe I'll actually complete one of these old old school RPGs one of these days.

I didn't think the fallout games had DRM? Did it depend on the region?

just ordered stonekeep. damn thats old. i remember an all different game in my memory…

Back
Top Bottom