D&D Online Unlimited

Lots of different specials this weekend. Extra tubine points, cheap adventure packs, and more.

AND!!!!!!!..............as an added bonus, you get to play with either me or DTE!! :)

Corwin........don't scare off the customers with threats like that! ;)

If I REALLY wanted to scare off the customers, I'd remind them they could also play with YOU!! :p

Isn't that the game that still requires Europeans to pay whereas it is free for the rest of the world ?

Sounds to me like the usual software business model … :rolleyes:

Isn't that the game that still requires Europeans to pay whereas it is free for the rest of the world ?

Sounds to me like the usual software business model … :rolleyes:

I played D&DO just fine some months ago. I don't know if that was the case at first, but right now there's no problem playing it in Europe (i.e. the free content).

Liked it very much, actually. Plays the most like a single-player RPG from every MMORPG I've tried (which is not that much). Never in a guild, though, or very seriously. Maybe it's even better if I try jumping in, too.

Over the last 2 days, I took my fighter solo thru Tangleroot Gorge. Overall, a disappointment. There's an outdoor area that's fairly interesting, but the main "adventure" involves marching thru the same dungeon 7 times. Not exactly uber-exciting because the monster spawns are the same (place and type) each and every time. The loot was unimpressive until the final mission. Also, there was an optional quest that didn't fire properly for me. Supposed to be 3 earth elementals to kill and the DM spoke up to say 1 attacked me immediately, but none of the 3 ever emerged from its pile of rocks, even when I'd attack. Their chest remained locked, too. Bummer.

Final rating—don't pay regular price for this one, folks. OK, but nothing special. I got it for 385 points and probably overpaid a bit.

edit- BTW, I know we've discussed modules at times with Team Corwin, but I'd love to see some reviews of the various for-points modules (particularly from Peter and Az that have played lots of them) here.

Having done Tangles several times, I can now do a sprint run through most of it. The final reward can be very good, as is the general XP you can get. Better with 2 or 3 than solo and it does have its moments.

I think it bears mentioning that item bags (collectibles, gems, and ingredients) will be on sale 50% off tomorrow. Good time to pick up large or huge bags. Most of the rest of this week's deals didn't impress me much.

Tangleroot is an ok series. The quest itself gives some 12-15k xp (been using xp pots lately, so I can't recall exactly) and is the easiest way to get a +3 stat boosting item cheaply, for most stats (No regular WIS, INT, or CHA items, but they can drop there).

For the bugged elementals, knocking or picking the chest makes them attack you.

You guys still playing this or you switching to LotRO when it goes f2p?

Out of curiosity do you open up extra toon slots by buying them with points the same way you open other parts of the game classes, races and areas?

Thanks.

You get 2 slots on each server for free. If you buy anything with real money from the DDO store, you get 2 more character slots on each server. After that you can buy more slots if you wish. You can also delete characters and re-create them. We have no plans currently to switch from DDO; we've invested a lot of time and effort into the game and some money as well, so I'm not changing!! :)

Cool, sounds like you guys are having fun! :biggrin:

I tried to look on the official forums but didn't see anything, is there a breakdown of servers as in which are PvE/PvP or US/EU/Oceania?

Secondly as a Cleric, is that starter wand a better choice than the weapon? Since I didn't know about populations, was trying to build a Battle Cleric for solo leveling, and that 2h axe looks pretty rockin! I jumped on for the first time last night grabbed the axe then I was told in chat "TAKE the WAND!" but it just didn't seem like it put out near the damage of the axe.

Thanks.

Most (all) servers cater to all areas. There isn't much PvP (check out some taverns). Weapons are very easy to come by, wands much harder. You should get an initial weapon in the very first area and be offered something better before you leave. Keep the first weapon and take the wand. For a cleric, maces tend to be better than axes. I currently have more weapons than I could ever use so I'm always selling them. I rarely sell wands.

Our group plays on Khyber.

Good to know, ty!

I know this is probably not an optimum build but is it possible to pull off a Cleric 18/Rogue 2 and be able to get inside most of the locked doors to access chests in the game? I could see how it would fail most Trap Disarms, but not really clear how they do locked doors.

Whats all the talk I see about having a 32 point build, is this something you have to buy? I tried to Google to find info or a FAQ on how to get it, but most just talk about how to spend them in a build.

Thanks.

You should visit DDOWiki when you get a chance. That will help with many questions--at least it did for me.

You can earn 32-point-build with free play, but most likely you'll break down and buy it before then. It gives you an extra 4 points to spend on your ability scores at character creation, which can actually make a pretty big difference. It won't do you any good on the character you've already created (unless you spend money on a reincarnation), but if you're going to get serious about the game you should probably buy 32 point and veteran status (you'll have to get a toon to level 4 before you can buy that) before you create any more toons.

I have DDOWiki bookmarked but I don't see anything about 32 point builds, buying, earning or anything, so thanks for the tips. :)

If I understand you, I need to hit level 4 with a toon then buy (from the DDO Store ?) a 32 point build, is it actually called 32 point build?

I guess it's the lack of Dex that will hurt the most on the Cleric/Rogue build.

Apologizes about the n00b questions. ;)

Don't mind questions--that's why we're here.

I hit 2 topics on you, and didn't really seperate them well.

1) 32-point-build
You can purchase this from the DDO store at any time (yes, it's called 32-point-build). It is not retroactive to existing characters, though (without paying for a greater reincarnation and rerolling your toon). If you're going to play DDO for a while and you're going to have more than one character, it's worthwhile to get this before building that second toon. As a side benefit, making this purchase qualifies as "any DDO Store purchase" so you'll get 2 extra character slots on each server for a total of 4.

2) veteran status
All your new characters can start at level 4 instead of level 1. You can earn this for free with 1000 favor, which will take something on the order of 7 years of playing to get. You can also purchase it from the DDO Store, but it's not available for sale until you get at least one toon to level 4. In other words, everybody's got to do the slog from level 1 to level 4 at least once.

Your other alternative is to buy or earn a Drow. (400 favour). It comes with a built in 32 point build!! Veteran is a must once available and it doesn't take too much effort to get to level 4.

1 - Clerics do not get the martial weapon proficiencies. None. So that great axe is giving you a penalty to your attack, as your Cleric really doesn't know how to use it.

2 - That wand, while only doing 1d3+1 damage (or 2-4 points per hit), is an eternal wand. Meaning that it will slowly recharge over time, regaining it's use. That said, even without martial weapon proficiencies, a Cleric is a solid melee character, capable with a mace and shield. At early levels, you should be able to wade into combat without much difficulty. For what it's worth, I didn't take the wand on my first Cleric either, and had no need. For a Sorcerer or Wizard, take their wand. My Sorc still has hers at level 7.

3 - Cleric/Rogue mixes are difficult to do. Clerics only get 1 skill point per level, whereas you need Spot, Search, Disable Device, and Picklock for Rogues at minimum. Clerics also need Concentration. Plus Balance is very handy to have. For spot, Clerics have decent levels in the skill, plus have the spell Find Traps.

Stat points are also tight; to be effective at casting you need as high a Wisdom as you can get. You also REQUIRE at least 14 Constitution. For skill points you'll need Intelligence, and both Intelligence and Dexterity boost certain Rogue skills. Finally, if you want to be effective at turning undead, you'll need Charisma. For melee combat, Strength.

Needless to say, both skill points and stat points are rough. A Cleric/Rogue mix is definitely something only an experienced player should attempt. Most people who do mix Cleric with something else either take a level or two of Fighter, for Power Attack, Improved Critical: Weapon Type, and the free martial weapon feats; or Monk, for Wisdom mod to AC, unarmored AC bonus, and some other nifty Monk abilities. Monks, however, you have to buy.

A better class synergy is Wizard/Rogue. Wizards have to max their Intelligence, but that also affects Rogue skills and the number of skill points. Whats more, is Wizards have the Knock spell, which most of the time makes pick lock irrelevant. Trap skills are far more important to have.

Quite frankly, I'd stay pure class as a Cleric, as that is a class that benefits greatly from staying pure. All spell casting classes are most often best served by staying pure. Just play with a friendly Rogue, and you'll get every locked chest and hidden door in the game, while avoiding some nasty traps and getting bonus xp to boot.

4 - It won't take 7 years to earn 1000 favor, but it will take awhile. You just have to be ready to invest a lot of time playing, and be willing to run every quest on elite difficulty. And play more than once a week. I'm hit over 500 favor on two characters, and as anyone else in the Guild can tell you, I have altitis. I have 5 main characters in the guild, two more (one mule and one holding a name for later) out of the guild, and have created literally over a dozen characters in nearly every class (only Barbarian I haven't tried).

Back
Top Bottom