Does anyone have an opinion on these games?

I wouldn't recommenced it, but you should try it yourself. You should know by now my taste differs from yours on some games already.:)

Sounds like a "wait for a sale" recommendation. In either case, the game can be found over here, for $6. I bought it on a previous sale on a whim.

Anyway, played quite a bit of Wizardry 6, but there is still a lot to go. The game suffer from too many random encounters, so I doubt I'll actually beat it, but it was fun while it lasted. Gameplay was solid and I enjoyed the amount of classes & races, so I'll probably try to play the game with another party somewhere down the road (probably won't beat the game then either, but this does not feel like one of those games that you need to beat to get your moneys worth, as the story is not the main draw).
The level design was a bit more complex than in Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2 (the only other games where you have to draw maps that I've spent a good amount of time with), which made map drawing a bit trickier. I guess anyone who don't understand my shorthands and odd markings would have a really hard time reading my maps.

I also dipped my toes into Soulbringer, and the game seem to have potential, but now I'm starting to eye strategy games instead, which means that I should probably stop playing Soulbringer, or otherwise I'll have spent so much time with it that I'll have a hard time re-starting it (I don't usually like replaying parts of games that I've already played, with some notable exceptions).

I totally have a bias for it because I grew up on it, but RETURN TO KRONDOR. 'Nuff said.

Planet Alcatraz really is a bit unfair...

I wanted to play a character focusing on guns & thievery, but apparently that was not what the game wanted me to do. Instead the game starts you in melee with some basic enemies, that in two hits got me down to half health. Then they throw two more enemies at you (I had to reload 4 times to actually beat these). Then another one comes along, which was easy to dispatch, and then the game throws a bunch of enemies armed with guns. How are you supposed to beat these (on easy!) without focusing on melee?

In Wiz 6 your party should reach a level in the late midgame/endgame where you can just hold down attack and most battles should finish in about 10 seconds at most. You might need to manually fight for a few of the tougher end battles though.

Planet Alcatraz really is a bit unfair…

I wanted to play a character focusing on guns & thievery, but apparently that was not what the game wanted me to do. Instead the game starts you in melee with some basic enemies, that in two hits got me down to half health. Then they throw two more enemies at you (I had to reload 4 times to actually beat these). Then another one comes along, which was easy to dispatch, and then the game throws a bunch of enemies armed with guns. How are you supposed to beat these (on easy!) without focusing on melee?

Yeah, the beginning of Planet Alcatraz is damn hard. I remember having to reload multiple times to get past that first encounter.

It gets a lot easier once you reach the prison camp and complete a few quests, but I didn't play much further than that.

Back
Top Bottom