Two Worlds - Review @ Jolt

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Jolt has kicked up an Xbox 360 review of Two Worlds, and - as has become customary for this platform version - the result is a kicking. The score is 2.2/10 and here is a clip:
Let’s discuss combat. Something, in fact, we wish the development team had discussed at some point with anyone who knew anything about games. That way we could have avoided the total abomination that we have here. Button mashing isn't gameplay and it never has been. With examples like this, it never will be. Quite how anyone thought that mindless button mashing would make people feel like they have achieved something or fought a brave fight is anyone's guess. There is no skill involved in combat by melee or combat by magic, which are both pretty core elements of a game where you are playing the role of either a fighter or magic user. We didn't think it would be that complicated to figure out, but we were wrong.
More information.

a game that would struggle to impress a PlayStation 2 owner

That is the thing that gets me ... I don't have access to a X360, but I would really love to see it on one, since it looks very good on my PC at 1900 x 1200.

That is the thing that gets me ... I don't have access to a X360, but I would really love to see it on one, since it looks very good on my PC at 1900 x 1200.

I agree... I'm running it in 1600x1080 (or something like that) on a widescreen monitor and I think it looks great...

And Halo 3 gets 10/10 ?? I thought the combat in halo 3 were just that? Button mashing??

What about the story, the characters, the plot and the dialogues? All things that goes into a great rpg. If they only reviewed this game for its combat, then yes it really is that bad.

But if they also look at other things, then the game is at least valid&good for a
7 or 8 rating...

I don't own a 360 and haven't played that version...so maybe the horrible scores are valid for it. But the PC version sure doesn't deserve some of the low ratings it's been getting.

Once you get past the painfully funny without meaning to be funny dialogue it's actually a really good game. As far as scores go I'd give it slightly more than Oblivion (mainly because Oblivion is so easily moddable), and slightly worse than Gothic 3. I think a 7 is a pretty fair number. I'm not even talking about the graphics...anyone who places a huge emphasis on that for an rpg is clueless anyway. But for the record on my few years old PC with a 7800GT it looks fine (and playable at 1024x768 and high settings, or 1280x1024 medium). Oblivion *looks* better (and I can run it at 1600x1200 with above max ini settings), so is obviously coded better...but that's all Oblivion has...looks.

2.2? Unless the game plays at 5fps on the 360 I can't imagine it deserving that.

Claiming that there is "no skill involved" for either melee or magic is just a ridiculous statement, platform-independent. I won't argue that, especially with the balancing issues at high levels on the normal setting, you can get by with simple button mashing at times. That does not mean there is "no skill involved". It is not that bad or even close.

majnun said:
Once you get past the painfully funny without meaning to be funny dialogue

I think a lot of folks are missing the dev's intent here. I think they do intend for it to be at least a bit funny. It's pretty clear to me they aren't taking themselves 100% seriously with the script. :shrug:

I'm still playing the game (PC version) and while there are some design decisions I don't like, at level 26 I'm still really enjoying it. Looks like my review will be a positive one, unless the latter part of the game really sux!!

Wow what a harsh review. What did the dev team do not to deserve a fair treatment? Heck I've seen some harsh reviews over the years, but this is just unbelivably stupid. 2.2 ?! Besides people here in the watch have been saying its a decent game and I belive these boards a lot more than these professionals..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom