Dragon Age 2 - Call of Duty's Audience Welcome Bioware says

aries100

SasqWatch
Fernando Melo, senior producer, has spoken to Now Gamer about this according to this thread at the rpgcodex. Fernando did say this about the subject
We have data that shows there are a lot of people that enjoy playing RPGs although they won’t necessarily call them RPGs. They’ll play Fallout, Assassin’s Creed and even Call Of Duty, which have these progression elements – you’re putting points into things – but they don’t necessarily associate that as an RPG. So we think that if we expand that out we’ll attract a much bigger audience.”
There's a thread on this in the Dragon Forums on the Bioware Social Forums.
Do you think Bioware will succeed? And is an RPG defined by putting points into things?
More information.

*** Facepalm ***

Of course, they will succeed, for as long as people accept to gobble just about anything that comes out of their marketing services.

Pay more for less (game content, added value, support) ? Sure thing.
Want an awesome button to win at games ? Sure thing.

We can also cut your game in three, so that you pay it three times as much : Starcraft II.

We can also remove in-game content before release, so that you can pay it as DLC : Dragon Age II.

Marketing people are so amazing.

This is how my "mental alarm" sounds like …

And I fear they will even succeed this way.

And this success might even be the basis to build other games on … Because what sells will be copied …

This type of thinking is for the fast cash grab,DA:O took many years to create ,and now they want to pump out a DA game on a yearly basis. When i look at the screen shots for DA2 it looks unpolished and incomplete and to know that when the game is released , moments later they will announce DLC out the anus . What gamer wants that ? Surely when you create a franchise your in it for the long hall. Bioware is going to pound DA into every gamers head until we cant take it anymore.The DLC is what makes me want to war with Bio, its so annoying.

*sigh*

I'm sure that guy quoted is quite correct in what he said.

Predictable reactions to this statement by Bioware. It's just some guy trying to drum up business for the game by making comparisons (not good ones) with other games. Move along, nothing to see here.

*sigh*

I'm sure that guy quoted is quite correct in what he said.

Do you really think that ?

I don't take any enjoyment out of a washed down Action+Adventure+RPG+RTS+FPS+Puzzle+whatever mixed game.

Yes, I do enjoy most good RTSes, and I also can enjoy a good FPS from time to time, even a MMORPG'ish grindfest, but does it mean that I suddenly want all my RPGs to feature FPS combat/gore, Facebook'ish farmvilles, or "content ready for the masses" just because of WoW ? Not really.

Now you can tell me to each their own, I know, and it is just my personal opinion.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the aformentioned data was just a clever Powerpoint construction to justify the most ludicrous aberrations/shortcuts of some game producers, because they just fail at producing any decent games anymore. Games in their very own style.

Last edited:
4118002405_39e27afb1e.jpg

Direct quote from Bioware dev Stanley Woo from that thread:

If a game is technically a shooter but has a good story, character development, banter, loot, an inventory system, and "level up" systems, what difference is there in an RPG anyway?

Loot and level systems are all you need to be an RPG! Call of Duty is an RPG! Come on everyone we can appeal to every gamer in the country and make billions!

I like shooters... shit, I like Call of Duty (the first and fourth ones anyway), but the thing is I don't want all my games to be like that. I don't want all games to merge into one simplified formula that has the largest chance at sales. Mass Effect was specifically designed to be an RPG for shooter fans and that is FINE, I love that game for being a shooter with RPG elements, it works well. I don't want every RPG to be Mass Effect though, or anywhere near it.

Bioware are wrecking everything we love. Quick, lets give them endless praise!

To me, the interesting part of Melo's statements is this: "you’re putting points into things". By this definition, I can make an adventure game, (like curse of monkey island) having the protagonist choosing from a skilltree to get better in say electronics or speech. And then it would be an rpg?

This would actually mean that car game (a racing game) where you put points into things to develop your car is an rpg now? I think I remember Stanley Woo saying something like this....

However, I believe that yes, Bioware may initially succeed by getting some of the COD players aboard, maybe even some of the RTS players and maybe even som of the car racing gamers onboard. The big question will be; are they still hanging around 5 or 10 years from now.....

To me, the interesting part of Melo's statements is this: "you’re putting points into things". By this definition, I can make an adventure game, (like curse of monkey island) having the protagonist choosing from a skilltree to get better in say electronics or speech. And then it would be an rpg?

Many people really do think that, yes.

What is the difference between Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Oblivion?

Direct quote from Bioware dev Stanley Woo from that thread:

Loot and level systems are all you need to be an RPG! Call of Duty is an RPG! Come on everyone we can appeal to every gamer in the country and make billions!

I like shooters… shit, I like Call of Duty (the first and fourth ones anyway), but the thing is I don't want all my games to be like that. I don't want all games to merge into one simplified formula that has the largest chance at sales. Mass Effect was specifically designed to be an RPG for shooter fans and that is FINE, I love that game for being a shooter with RPG elements, it works well. I don't want every RPG to be Mass Effect though, or anywhere near it.

Allow me to shake your hand sir. I wonder where they find these pr people at bioware and how the docs can receive a lifetime award for there rpgs. This whole fad of adding stats to other genres and calling them rpgs needs to stop. I for one don't want every rpg to be like masseffect.

If a game is technically a shooter but has a good story, character development, banter, loot, an inventory system, and "level up" systems, what difference is there in an RPG anyway?

Um, Deus Ex? System Shock 2? Even Arx Fatalis and Vampire : Bloodlines?

He's correct, there is a direct path of progression from 'shooter with progression mechanics and inventory' to 'First/Third Person RPG'.

I don't think that should be the only type of RPG available, but his point is valid.

Back
Top Bottom