RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2012 Awards

Yeah, also the Amalur collection was $12 on Amazon during the cyber monday sale in November - which I snagged. I still haven't got around to playing though.

I suppose I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to Steam sales. I tend to buy one or two games per year at launch ($60) and the rest I don't even consider until they are available with all DLC for $5 - $10. Eventually, you can buy any game at that price if you keep your eyes open and don't mind waiting a year or two.

I suppose I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to Steam sales. I tend to buy one or two games per year at launch ($60) and the rest I don't even consider until they are available with all DLC for $5 - $10. Eventually, you can buy any game at that price if you keep your eyes open and don't mind waiting a year or two.

I think you need to be a little more realistic. $15 for a AAA game plus DLC is about as cheap as you're gonna get.

1. Dark Souls - the only game released this year I´ve played that I consider truly great
2. Mass Effect 3 - should´ve just used a gun that fires thresher maws though

1. Legend of Grimrock - haven´t played another indie RPG, but felt confident voting for it anyway since it´s in my top 3; retro done well

Really looking forward to Divinity: Original Sin, quite looking forward to Chaos Chronicles, Age of Decadence and Frayed Knights 2.

Dark Souls was a massive breath of fresh air from where I´m standing and thanks to Kickstarter there´s now a good number of promising and often more "traditional" cRPGs in the works, so I´d say 2012 was a pretty good year for the genre, though not necessarily in terms of released games.

I think you need to be a little more realistic. $15 for a AAA game plus DLC is about as cheap as you're gonna get.

I don't think you understand. This is already what I've been paying for the games I bought over the past few years. I wait for sales deals and just about every AAA game out there eventually drops to $4.99 - $7.49 including all the DLC, sometimes even significantly less in the package deals.

In a couple of cases, I also bought games cheap on sale and then later traded them for games I wanted that were not on sale. For example, I bought GWAR 2 ($1.24), Dear Esther ($3.74) and New Vegas GOTY ($4.99) and traded them for Gods & Kings ($30 at the time)

A few games I purchased at this price or cheaper:
- Grand Theft Auto IV complete
- Arkham Asylum GOTY
- Arkham City GOTY
- Fallout 3 GOTY
- Dead Island GOTY
- I am Alive
- Deus Ex HR GOTY
- Oblivion GOTY
- Dead Space 2 GOTY
- Just Cause 2
- Metro 2033
- RAGE
- Bioshock
- Bioshock 2 Complete
- Bulletstorm
- Portal 2
- Risen
- Saints Row 2 and 3
- KOTOR 1 and 2
- VTMB
- Bastion
- Alpha Protocol
- All the STALKER games
- Mass Effect 1 and 2
- Almost the entire Total War series
- nearly all the Paradox strategy games
- Every bethesda game (package around $50 including 30 of their games)
- All the company of heroes games and Darksiders, purchased for $1 total

Origin seems to take a different approach from Steam, so who knows if they will never drop prices that much on their titles but I purchased a number of EA games on Steam for less than $5.

The majority of those were out for significantly longer than "a year or two" before they could be had for that cheap.

But yeah, eventually you can get anything cheap enough if you're willing to wait that long.

Well, I only played 2 of them so that made my voting easy. Unfortunately, neither of them (Jagged Alliance BIA and XCOM) is an RPG, but I guess that doesn't matter much anymore :D

Well, I only played 2 of them so that made my voting easy. Unfortunately, neither of them (Jagged Alliance BIA and XCOM) is an RPG, but I guess that doesn't matter much anymore :D

Nope the great crossover of genres has polluted the gene pool.;) Everything has rpg elements now.

Everything has rpg elements now.

So true.

It's also why I don't get that games like the Batman Arkham games (Asylum at least, haven't played City yet) that grant XP on kills, discoveries and mission to buy abilities aren't called RPGs at all. While games like Dishonored which grant money to buy abilities are sort of seen as RPGs by the community (not just here).

:/

and even Xcom a bit, though it was dumbed down quite a lot from he original.
As you may probably know, the solution is Xenonauts. To me both great games. Different games. XCOM:EU is ground combat fun, Xenonauts has (will have) all the Geoscape thing.
BTW I don't see a reason why the limited the view to 4 angles in XCOM:EU. Wish it was free.

Have you actually played Dishonored? Money is used to purchase ammo and equipment upgrades, not abilities.

Yes and I'm sorry, this is half me simplifying and a language difference. I just dump upgrades into the abilities category now. Dishonored player abilities are bought with runes, but some equipment upgrades are equivalent to what you by with XP in the Batman games or the upgrades in DXHR. Example, Corvo's mask zoom upgrade.

I wonder what thought process led to Krater and Inquisitor being placed in the regular list, but Legend of Grimrock amongst indies. A separate indies list should have been scrapped altogether imo.

So true.

It's also why I don't get that games like the Batman Arkham games (Asylum at least, haven't played City yet) that grant XP on kills, discoveries and mission to buy abilities aren't called RPGs at all. While games like Dishonored which grant money to buy abilities are sort of seen as RPGs by the community (not just here).

:/

The lines are a bit blurred for most recent games, but I don't think Dishonored is considered an RPG anywhere either (other than perhaps at GameBanshee).

Nearly every game incorporates some sort of narrative and progression mechanics these days. Imagine the complaints if DOOM4 were released today without being able to increase your max health and armor, for example.

The lines are a bit blurred for most recent games, but I don't think Dishonored is considered an RPG anywhere either (other than perhaps at GameBanshee).

Lots of reviews called Dishonored a RPG. Example: shacknews

A lot of the current shooter-type games would have 100% been considered cRPGs not so many years ago. If the early Wizardry or Bard's Tale games are cRPGs then Far Cry 3 certainly is!

(and note that I do NOT consider Far Cry 3 to be a cRPG)

Back
Top Bottom