The Realm Game - A New Adventure Game Set In Post-Civilisation England

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Realm is the latest title asking you to part with your pennies and pounds in the form of a Kickstarter.While not a RPG I know some of you are interested in adventure games.
e28d9785f72df6cef4250b0156a91e12_large.jpg

The Vision
We are a group of experienced game developers asking for your help to make a unique and visually stunning graphical adventure. We will be using a combination of inspiring 3D and beautifully crafted 2D artwork to set a new artistic benchmark for the point and click genre, not just on PC and Mac, but on tablet devices too. We call our style ‘Western Art, Eastern Heart’.
We’re re-imagining the point and click adventure, bringing it up to date so that it can be played just as easily on touch screen devices as with a mouse. We've taken out complicated inventory screens and obscure puzzles and replaced them with the streamlined interactivity and intuitive design now expected of modern games.
So What Is 'The Realm'?

The Realm is set in a far distant future where the world has been reclaimed by nature. Our once proud cities now lie abandoned - overgrown with strange plants and twisted vines. The locations in The Realm reflect the real-life landscapes and architecture of the North East of England.

Some humans remain, but they are now leading a more simple life based around small rural communities entirely divorced from modern technology and science. The age of magic and mysticism has returned and there are rumours of stirrings in the forests.
More information.

Last edited:
We've taken out complicated inventory screens and obscure puzzles and replaced them with the streamlined interactivity

*raises cane* How dare these young'uns streamline my adventure games! My, in my time we had to code our own solutions to puzzles in C++! But seriously, I'm not sure if there ever was a problem with "complicated inventory screens" and "obscure puzzles," at least in the quality adventure games. Or else they were part of the charm ;) (Monkey Island).

looks ok. but there's no click.
little girl and dumb golem doesn't appeal to me

Mmmmm, I think an adventure KS with no RPG elements whatsoever, maybe doesn't qualify for frontpage news?

Mmmmm, I think an adventure KS with no RPG elements whatsoever, maybe doesn't qualify for frontpage news?

Adventure games are considered almost part of the rpg genre. There have been a few other such games in the headlines before.;) Variety is the word GhanBuriGhan.

Well, you asked for feedback when you started as a newsposter :) So, just my opinion.
You're doing a great job overall!

*raises cane* How dare these young'uns streamline my adventure games! My, in my time we had to code our own solutions to puzzles in C++! But seriously, I'm not sure if there ever was a problem with "complicated inventory screens" and "obscure puzzles," at least in the quality adventure games. Or else they were part of the charm ;) (Monkey Island).

C++? Luxury. When I was young we used binary. By moving (huuuge - think Stonehenge) rocks.

Anyhow, a post civilization setting could be interesting. I wish someone would make a game in the "Book of the New Sun" (Gene Wolfe) setting.

pibbur who sometimes exaggerates, just a little bit. And who hopes he spelled the e-word correctly.

Is there a way to move all the non-rpg newbits somewhere else? I don't mind them being posted, but they clutter up the RPG news, which is all that I'm interested in.

I don't mind seeing these occasional adventure game bits in here. It takes but a moment to scroll past if you aren't interested.

There is already a game called "The Realm". Can't say I care, but I'd hate to see a small start up spend all their kickstarter money on a lawyer. I posted an "ask a question" to them, so at least they know. Maybe the names are different enough being "The Realm Game" and "The Realm Online", but they both refer to themselves as "The Realm".

http://www.realmserver.com/

Thanks

I, for one, appreciate this news. It looks like a genuinely interesting game. And the music is great!

I don't know what they're talking about with streamlining the inventory and whatnot — what is there to really streamline about adventure games? I guess what they mean is they have tried to make the interface simple enough to work well on tablets.

Anyway, I'm going to hold off on the pledge until I see a little bit more, but I am hoping the game will play something like Machinarium. If so, I'm sold.

Back
Top Bottom