The Witcher 2 - Character Development & Items Diary

Skavenhorde, I find it pretty brave that you're being so open about your ridiculous double standards :)

It's nice for you guys to preach when you can watch these TV shows. Here in Taiwan they have a hundred channels of news, some old Asian movies (which rock btw), and a few English Channels. One of which is Star World which is geared towards a female audience.

So when they get some of these shows over here I'll be damn sure to watch them complete with commercials, but until then I'm getting my weekly fix of Game of Thrones through the net.

What would be nice is if these TV shows were available online through the broadcasters. The Daily Show puts every episode they air online complete with commercials.

Edit: Just saw your post soulvomit. Availability and not buying it because you don't want to are to totally separate matters.

It's annoying when people can go buy something and don't because they can get it for free by stealing it, but yet you shove me in that category because of my location and the availability of a product. Well excuse me, but I see a clear difference there.

Last edited:
So presumably you buy the DVDs of these shows once they become available?

but yet you shove me in that category because of my location and the availability of a product. Well excuse me, but I see a clear difference there.

Asia is also known among Star Wars collectors for very, very early availability of Star Wars products.

Asian collectors often have items available much, much earlier than collectors in other parts of the world.

The reason is simple : The factories are located in Asia, often in China.

This is a bit like ... Gothic fans in Germany learning about new stuff earlier than other countries.

So presumably you buy the DVDs of these shows once they become available?

Yea, just like you buy a DVD of every TV show you watch. Don't be stupid.

This topic has annoyed the hell out of me because I have gone to great lengths to get English games over here when they were not available. Do you know why I did this? Because I could order the damn things through one of the stores I visit. No such luck with TV shows.

So basically you all are saying, "Screw you guy. I don't care where you live if you don't get it there then you're shit out of luck."

If you people can not see the moral difference between a TV show that I can't get over here and downloading games then I really have nothing more to say to any of you.

@Alrik What has that got to do with TV? Clear difference. One you can watch on a TV and another you would have to buy at a store.

How no one sees this is beyond me.

Nice developer segment, I like the four difficulty levels, found it amusing that they did the all too common internet misspelling of "losing" into "loosing" on the subtitles.

Thank god! An actual post on The Witcher 2 instead of how much of a hypocrite I am.

Arkadia7, I may kiss you. :biggrin:

Yea, just like you buy a DVD of every TV show you watch. Don't be stupid.

I don't need to - I've paid to watch it on TV either through the TV licence here, or through pay-to-view TV channels. For channels with advertising, my viewing increases viewer numbers, making that air time more valuable and able to give the TV channel more income to afford to pay for those shows. My actions are contributing to the payment of producing that show.

What you've done is pirate a TV show, which means you are not contributing at all to the revenue stream that gets back to the maker of that show. This makes it directly comparable to your game pirating.

This thread is pissing you off only because it's highlighting your double standards... you're doing exactly the same thing as your friends and using lack of availability in the short term (i.e. waiting for the DVDs) as an excuse.

Bullshit it's highlighting my double standards. You just don't give a rats ass about whether I can get it or not or how many hoops I had to go through in my ten years of living abroad to make damn sure I paid for these games I play. But nope let's not consider his location or how it is not available anywhere.

So in the end it comes down to, "Screw you. You don't get to watch this."

Thanks for that and goodbye.

Edit: You know what I give up. Fine I have a double standard for TV shows. I can't afford to buy the DVDs if they ever came here in the first place. What I could do is watch it on my cable television, but it doesn't come here either. So fine, when it comes to things that I can watch on a TV I do not consider it pirating whether it is or not. I'm tired of arguing the difference.

When it comes to something that you have to walk into a store, movie theater or purchase online then I would consider that stealing. Does that make me a hypocrite for thinking that? Not in my mind, but obviously to you all it does. It makes me someone who would like very much to be able to watch these shows and can't.

Thank you all for damning me from the get go. I appreciate the empathy you all showed one of your fellow member who lives in a foreign country surrounded by the Chinese language and culture every day of the week and would like to be able to view something from my home country or something from my own culture that is of interest to me.

So once again, thanks.

Last edited:
It's nice for you guys to preach when you can watch these TV shows. Here in Taiwan they have a hundred channels of news, some old Asian movies (which rock btw), and a few English Channels. One of which is Star World which is geared towards a female audience.

So when they get some of these shows over here I'll be damn sure to watch them complete with commercials, but until then I'm getting my weekly fix of Game of Thrones through the net.

What would be nice is if these TV shows were available online through the broadcasters. The Daily Show puts every episode they air online complete with commercials.

Edit: Just saw your post soulvomit. Availability and not buying it because you don't want to are to totally separate matters.

It's annoying when people can go buy something and don't because they can get it for free by stealing it, but yet you shove me in that category because of my location and the availability of a product. Well excuse me, but I see a clear difference there.

Is there some galactic imperative that you MUST watch those shows?

Already edited my comment. See the post above for the "Galactic Imperative"

Im confused you can watch tv shows for free on hulu and on tv station websites. What am I missing how is he stealing free content?

These shows aren't free to produce Skaven, and when TV Shows are aired around the world - some people have paid for them to be able to do so.

That you feel entitled to watch them is one thing, but what I find amusing is how you say you lost your temper when somebody felt entitled to a computer game.

Not that any of it is a big deal to me, as I pirate this and that as I please according to my own reasoning. But I don't go around pointing fingers or losing my temper when people pirate the "wrong" thing.

Whatever….

Read post #28 if you care. I don't really have the energy to argue about my screwed up morals with anyone anymore.

@Sakichop I tried Hulu. I can't view it because of my location. Story of my life.

I didn't quite understand the point of the whole discussion in the first place.

I just hope the GoG version doesn't bite them in the arse. My 3 cousins, all brothers, and about 10 others they know are all pooling money together to buy 1 GoG version and they are all going to use that 1 GoG version. I know for a fact that if there was no GoG version, that my 3 cousins would all be buying the game, at the very least that is 2 lost sales for having no DRM. So hopefully they gain 3 sales for every 2 lost for not having DRM.

Basically they are buying one copy , and pirating it 9 times.

Question is. Why are they not simply downloading pirated game from get go ? Why buy even that one copy ?

But before you answer. Here is a smart thing about GOG

It sells 1 and looses 9 , where 10 copies would be pirated.

So even in such odds - they make money.

Anyways, my advice for your cousins. Try to buy all the copies. You will support a game that will show other companies that DRM is not necessary to sell games on PC

*posts deleted*

On second thought, I'll drop this here…

Too trivial and I think we've been through this kind of thing enough by now :)

I'm no saint and still will download tv shows because I can't get them here.

Explain what you mean when you say you're not a saint?

Downloading is actually legal in Canada (uploading isn't)...

Frist point the video clip and that they are talking about in look great...all things point to a great game..
Second Point buy the damm thing so they make a thrid...

Don't know why no one mentioned problem with bad games, movies, etc. Current distribution system makes you pay for things which could be a total disappointment or pure pleasure with equal probability. I hate this. I hate to be cheated. So I always use pirated versions for preview and if I like the thing than I pay for it. I have four copies of Oblivion all legaly bought (first edition and GOTY - English and Russian versions), I paid for two copies of Falllout, DAO-Origins, Drakensang, Gothic and many other games. In my view it's a fair deal.

Back
Top Bottom