Jagged Alliance 3 - Canned?

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
GameStar received word from Akella that they're "no longer working cooperatively with Strategy First on Jagged Alliance 3" (transl.) Publisher Strategy First still holds the rights for Jagged Alliance 3, but Akella won't be developing the game. Whether or not another developer will take over is unclear.
More information.

whenever it comes back, it'll probably be a FPS with a few stats here and there

I'll add my "NOOOOO!!!!!" to the thread.

JA1 and 2 were great. I would really like to play a third one, but I don't know if that will ever happen.

Ya know, there are some things you just shouldn't joke about.

:)

Too true! It should only be spoken in a hushed whisper or Beth might here you and come up with ANOTHER grand plan :D

What's with SF and JA developers? This is not the first time, and I bet like the other "conflicts between SF and developers" the game will be released in another name anyway...

Still, what is going on with SF? Or are all the developers that they had to deal with that bad?

I didnt even know there was one in planning, but as one who LOVED JA, I can only say, that sux.

However… what about Hired Guns? Is that game good enough?
Pretty mediocre. Not exactly bad, but certainly not in the same league as X-COM, JA or even Silent Storm. Ignore, unless you're in a very, very desperate need of a tactics fix.

I wonder if there was ever a plan to port it to consoles. The lack of that might have canned it.
Repeatedly broken deadlines or general lack of quality strike me as more likely reasons. The game was first announced three years ago, and we haven't seen more than a trailer and a bunch of screenshots since then.

Repeatedly broken deadlines or general lack of quality strike me as more likely reasons. The game was first announced three years ago, and we haven't seen more than a trailer and a bunch of screenshots since then.

Perhaps they never had enough money to develop the game properly atleast according to their plans? Who wants to invest into niche game like that nowadays? Its very risky.
As of October 2008 it appears the game has once again delayed, with Akella's website displaying a release date of Q1 2010. This delay is most likely due to publishers demand to improve graphics.[20]

Planned features:

* Realistic damage models for characters and structures.
* Non-linear mission basis.
* Varying weather conditions.
* Coop and multiplayer modes.
* Four different sides to choose from.

The only way to do a game like jagged alliance is go low budget like Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/364/details/Hired.Guns:.The.Jagged.Edge.

Matrix has been patching the jagged edge. Have to check it out one day.

Perhaps they never had enough money to develop the game properly atleast according to their plans? Who wants to invest into niche game like that nowadays? Its very risky.
Right. This is Akella we're talking about, the folks who had the cojones to put the 0.99 version of a game on a retail disc, turning everyone who bought it into an unpaid beta tester. Proper development and them don't really get along.

Now here's some food for thought: JA 3 isn't the only joint Akella/SF project, Disciples 3 were also outsourced to them. Coincidentally, D3 got released about a week ago in Russia and turned out to be a complete mess: tons of bugs, broken spells, no game modes outside of the campaign, that kind of things. But hey, at least we have two expansions in the works that will add the races that should have been a part of the game in the first place! I imagine that SF are not amused.

Right. This is Akella we're talking about, the folks who had the cojones to put the 0.99 version of a game on a retail disc, turning everyone who bought it into an unpaid beta tester. Proper development and them don't really get along.

Strategy first has done that many times before. They have even released unfinished press versions of games without telling anything to the developers.

Now here's some food for thought: JA 3 isn't the only joint Akella/SF project, Disciples 3 were also outsourced to them. Coincidentally, D3 got released about a week ago in Russia and turned out to be a complete mess: tons of bugs, broken spells, no game modes outside of the campaign, that kind of things

I dont know about Akella but Strategy First's history is full of bad releases. Som of the worst I have ever heard infact. They lie to customers and they lie to developers of the games they publish. SF has a reverse midas-touch. Generally I avoid buying anything from them. Im amazed they are still operating after all the years.

Right. This is Akella we're talking about, the folks who had the cojones to put the 0.99 version of a game on a retail disc, turning everyone who bought it into an unpaid beta tester.
Well that certainly puts them in rare company!

I tried the Hired Guns demo and it was sub-joke level, especially when compared to JA2. I don't have any faith that JA3 would have even been worth trying. I'd rather it never appeared than be yet another disappointment. The computer games industry provides plenty of those already.

Back
Top Bottom