What games are you playing now?

On the PC, I have completed the re-review playthrough of Sam & Max: Season One and now I'm fiddling with Gods: Land of Infinity as well as being unable to stop playing Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword despite being well past my review 'obligation'.

On the PSP I 'finished' Smash Court Tennis 3 and am working on the drab and lifeless Rainbow Six: Vegas, which has no excuse existing in a world full of SOCOM PSP games.

The DS I'm on the last level of Brothers in Arms DS on 'Veteran' difficulty ... and those Ardennes forest battles are really tough! From there I will probably go back to my beloved Etrian Odyssey.

giving myself a break from beyond the sword. tried playing age of empires 3 last night after picking up both it an the expansionfor ~25 last month(viva gogamer). the first level was just about the worst and unintersting intro rts level i've ever played. so being as with a middle finger injury (it should be healed for bioshock!) i'm prevented from wasd games which i haven't been playing for a month or so anyhow. so i finally cracked open odium which i've had for about a year and me meaning to play for many. for a win95/98 game i'm suprised so far its running perfectly in xp. the turn-based tactical combat is fun, and as its also part adventure and rpg so its pleasing on a lot of levels...but damn the ammo sure is scarce so far and the melee weapons sure aren't as powerful as you would think for also guaranteing a beating for that character on the next turn. still, its been an enjoyable couple of hours so far.

After I did most of Gothic III I got hold of Gothic II and I'm enjoying it more than #3..... Gothic I, here I come!! Also just finished Silverfall (Phew, at last I'm finished shooting fireballs & blizzards onto endlessly spawning monsters) Got call of Juarez & Jade Empire lined up. (Oh, plus I STILL haven't finished Neverwint. N II) Do you guys finish your games all in one go or do you get tired and switch between games - well looks like Moriendor does. I'm embarassed to admit there's tons of games I started but haven't finished yet.

] and am working on the drab and lifeless Rainbow Six: Vegas, which has no excuse existing in a world full of SOCOM PSP games.]

Do you generally dislike Tom Clancy games or is this just a specific dislike? I was toying with buying this one as I rather enjoyed the Splinter Cell games & the Ghost Recon was'nt too bad.

] and am working on the drab and lifeless Rainbow Six: Vegas, which has no excuse existing in a world full of SOCOM PSP games.]

Do you generally dislike Tom Clancy games or is this just a specific dislike? I was toying with buying this one as I rather enjoyed the Splinter Cell games & the Ghost Recon was'nt too bad.
This is my first - the console version is apparently excellent, and this has a wonderful control / cover system from those versions, but little else. It doesn't even look like Vegas and everything is drab. Again, I've heard good things about the console version - this just isn't very good.

Thanx for the warning. Talking of warnings: I generally liked the Warhammer games, and I like playing a bit of RTS now and then, but boy, am I glad i tested Warhammer ; MOChaos demo before I just up and bought the game, I thought MOC sucked, then I'd rather play Heroes of anhillated Empires, which is rather similar but the demo seems a lot more interesting. Each to his own, though.... I just say :"Thank the Gaming Gods for demo's!"

I liked Heroes of Annihilated Empires demo for the most part, I just remember it being very difficult. I liked the looks of it tho, some glorious 2D there. I'm certain that it's going to hit bargain bin soon, I'll have to grab it then for like 9.99

Playing a little bit of Fastcrawl while I'm supposed to be working today! I love working on a computer, I hope i never have to suffer in a non-pc job ever again.

I had grabbed the Mac version of the original Neverwinter Nights off Goozex recently (sold mine off a year or so ago because I was only doing PC gaming) and reinstalled it all ... both expansions and all of the Premium mods & Daggerford ... since it was a Mac everything (except main game) needed manual installs ... that took quite a while. I'm now in the middle of Chapter 1.

As of last night, I've officially added IWD2 to my ridiculously long list of parallel-playing. I've been able to get into rather easily compared to BG2. I'm really enjoying it so far (few hours). Maybe I have gaming ADD...

IWD2
G2
DoW: DC
DivDiv
DL
SF2
ToEE
Sacred

:rolleyes:

I guess your harddisk must be quite big ... ;)

Okay, I think that this is "normal" nowadays, my older PC has much less. Although ... it could well be that I tend to collect too much gaming software ... :D

I have reached the final chapter of Final Fantasy X-2 and im now finishing up each area one by one. Based on my info I have I still have a chance to get 100% completion. There's probably a few nasty minigames in Chapter 5 though so I might need the whole weekend.

I had grabbed the Mac version of the original Neverwinter Nights off Goozex recently (sold mine off a year or so ago because I was only doing PC gaming) and reinstalled it all ... both expansions and all of the Premium mods & Daggerford ... since it was a Mac everything (except main game) needed manual installs ... that took quite a while. I'm now in the middle of Chapter 1.

I've been re-playing NWN off and on for the past month or so. I'm 3/4 of the way through chapter 1 at the moment. I've got it heavily modded with the CEP and other haks, and I'm enjoying it more than the last time I played. Whether it's the haks or the official patches, I don't know, but it doesn't seem as ridiculous this time (eg. not finding +1 swords in chests laying around the city). But what's perhaps quite damning of more recent games is that the NWN OC doesn't seem that bad now. When I first got the game back when, the OC was really lame. But compared to so-called RPGs I've played since NWN came out, the campaign is pretty decent.

NWN OC is pretty weak. It's far better if you have multiple friends playing the OC at the same time. Shadows of Undrentide is much better for singleplayer and Hordes of the Underdark is the best.

I'm playing Temple of Elemental Evil. Wow this game has some bugs and it's frustratingly difficult at times. But it's a rewarding D&D type game when your party finally starts to kick some butt and you start finding some good equipment.

Got my full version of Dominions 3 and have been playing til ..well, really late for an old person...very addictive and layered TB strat, though every so often I actually look at the graphics and shudder.

Downloaded the demo for Nethergate:Resurrection today but haven't been able to tear myself away from building hill forts, Sidhe Lords and researching some of the strangest spells I've every come upon (Flying Monkeys: the mage summons a horde of monkeys who fly to a distant province and whisk an enemy commander away--but only if he isn't a mage--they're scared of mages..) I'll try and crank it up tomorrow as I'm curious to see something from Vogel that isn't Avernum.

I've been re-playing NWN off and on for the past month or so. I'm 3/4 of the way through chapter 1 at the moment. I've got it heavily modded with the CEP and other haks, and I'm enjoying it more than the last time I played. Whether it's the haks or the official patches, I don't know, but it doesn't seem as ridiculous this time (eg. not finding +1 swords in chests laying around the city). But what's perhaps quite damning of more recent games is that the NWN OC doesn't seem that bad now. When I first got the game back when, the OC was really lame. But compared to so-called RPGs I've played since NWN came out, the campaign is pretty decent.
It is very likely that the reason the NWN OC doesn't seem so bad is because the first chapter was actually pretty good in my opinion. The second chapter is acceptable with a few good parts but the rest of the game is pretty poor.

Right now I'm pretty much exclusively playing games on my PS2 and 360 because my PC has finally tapped out and is waiting on the sideline for an upgrade. The motherboard and graphics card has arrived a few weeks ago but I'm waiting for the RAM and the CPU to be shipped.

I've completed the "good" path of Overlord and am now going for the "evil" way through the game.

At some point, when I get the time, I'm going to follow in JemyM's footsteps and play through FFIX, FFX, FFX-2 and FFXII.

Argh, so many games, so little time :faint:

I'm playing Temple of Elemental Evil. Wow this game has some bugs and it's frustratingly difficult at times. But it's a rewarding D&D type game when your party finally starts to kick some butt and you start finding some good equipment.

Have you installed any of the fan-made patches? If you don't, send a PM to Alrik, he knows all the adresses ;).

Übereil

LOL :D

Instead you can go to www.co8.org, they have the mods and patches Übereil talks about. ;)

Seriously, you should try them out. I've never used them, but I hear that they must be very good, not only fixing, but also reincorporating stuff that was deleted or de-activated.

By the way : The FTP Server of Atari still has all of the official English-language patches to TOEE - there were NEVER made any localized patches !

Just finished Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened. A few quick notes:

(1) Style: old-skool point-and-click adventure done in a first-person format. Means: zero replayability, zero "alternate solutions," very slow pacing. Just so you know.

(2) Puzzles were pretty clever, sometimes insanely difficult (if you can solve some of those number and code puzzles without the walkthrough, I tip my hat to you), and usually fairly logical. AFAICT there is always exactly one solution to every puzzle, and the game babysits you so that you can't leave an area before having discovered everything in it that's to be discovered.

(3) Writing pretty good for a video game, but if this was a short story, it would not get published in a collection without some fairly significant editing. Some anachronistic use of language; does not strictly follow the canon for the Cthulhu mythos nor Sherlock Holmes. So if you're the kind of person who gets irritated if the Elder Sign is called the Sign of the Great Old Ones, avoid.

(4) Voice acting pretty good for a video game -- accents and voices fit the characters pretty well; Watson even emotes OK much of the time, and Holmes sounds nice and dry like he should; unfortunately the "reading lines from a script in front of a mike" feel is still pretty strongly present.

(5) Honorable mention for the character faces. They're quite well done.

(6) The general level of graphical quality, both design and technical (other than the faces) is very simple and bare-bones, more like something from the Gothic 1 era than today. So if you want graphical or design bling, you'll be disappointed. Still, it's not offensively bad either by any means. Same goes for sound and music design -- very bare-bones; just enough to get the job done, but not a bit more. The game looks and sounds very "old generation" -- I wouldn't be surprised if it was built on some fairly dated but OSS engine (Quake 3, perhaps?).

(7) Reasonably bug-free and stable. It did hang on me a couple of times, when alt-tabbing to the walkthrough and back (yes, I did use it a few times), and crashed once. There's no auto-save even between areas, though, so make sure to save your progress. The DVD version had me jumping through a few hoops to get it running on Vista x64 (had to download and manually install the copy protection drivers since the ones on the disk weren't x64 compatible). But mostly OK.

Overall, this is an OK game for what it is. The studio was clearly working on a very small budget, and IMO they spent it where it counts -- content rather than bling. If you want to support this approach, you may feel that the 18 euros it costs is money well spent; however, if you just want to play a fun game, you might want to wait until it makes it to the bargain bin.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom