Grinsia - A JRPG Remake

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Grinsia -Classic JRPG Coming to the PC

Kemco announces that classic JRPG Grinsia is going to be released on Nintendo 3DS and PC.

Santa Ana, Calif., (August 19th, 2012) - Nicalis, Inc., developer and publisher of independently awesome video games announces Kemco’s classic 16-bit style JRPG, Grinsia, for release on Nintendo 3DS, Windows, OSX and Linux.

“We're excited to be partnering with Nicalis on publishing, Grinsia, one of our JRPGs for the Nintendo 3DS and PC,” said Masaomi Kurokawa, Deputy General Manager, Kemco Games.

“We’re seeing a fantastic resurgence in the genre, and hope that Grinsia is the first of many games that we can bring to new audiences,” said Victor Rodriguez, CEO and Executive Producer, Nicalis.

About the game
Grinsia follows a family of three treasure hunters who go out in search of some ancient ruins said to be full of untold riches. Their adventure begins with little incident, but little do they know that they’ll be caught up in a more sinister plot as the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

■ Heavily enhanced from the original
Complete re-localization, all new SNES-tastic soundtrack, dual-screen support (3DS only), enhanced controls and more!

■ Traditional JRPG anime-inspired art style
Classic, 16-bit pixel art brings you back to a bygone era.

■ A wide range of allies, and many ways to enjoy the adventure
Choose your allies from a wide range of characters with each character reacts differently to each event. Play Grinsia again and again, experiencing the different reactions of party members.

■ Night and Day cycles
As time passes, the game changes between day and night. The appearance of towns and open land, and the way the game progresses will differ between day and night.

■ 'EX Skills' system
The treasure you gain has special powers, and can be used during battle. When you use a piece of treasure as an accessory, you become able to use 'EX Skills'.

Grinsia continues Nicalis’ partnerships with ultra-talented and super-awesome independent developers. Previously Nicalis has teamed up with 8bits Fanatics (1001 Spikes), Edmund McMillen (The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth), Studio Pixel (Cave Story, Ikachan), Nicklas Nygren (NightSky), and Terry Cavanagh (VVVVVV).
More information.

Last edited:
It looks like an RPG Maker game. And that should mean a really slow resolution, that will look very ugly in full screen or very tiny windowed.

It looks like an RPG Maker game. And that should mean a really slow resolution, that will look very ugly in full screen or very tiny windowed.
I agree as I play commercial and free RPG Maker games. You never get a full screen. It will bother others but I'm used to it.

I can go with practically anything when it comes to graphics but I do draw a line at ASCII and text based games. I play rpg maker games sometimes but it is really hard since there are so many of them and you don't know what will be decent and what is going to be crap.

Note it's "classic" not as some old SNES port but as a recent mobile phone game. Also not an actual remake, probably just some polish/changes to fit the 3DS/PC systems.

Last edited:
"Grinsia" is just another case of … when I think that names can go terribly wrong …

The German verb "grinsen" means "to grin". So "Grinsia" sounds to me like ... a country named after a grin ...

It's like castle vania to me ...

"Unlikely [sic] heroes set out on an adventure". At least they got that bit nearly right. But, maybe it should be: "Unlikely heroes set out to find a change of nappies".

Back
Top Bottom