Kickstarter - Matt Barton's Kickstarter Project: Untitled

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Matt Barton, who you might know from his regular chats on Armchair Arcade, is announcing his Kickstarter for a game with various rules and a quantifiable outcome. Ha is planning to ask for just $100 million, which might not be enough to fund it.
After days of planning and hours of editing, I have finally completed my Kickstarter announcement video. Please pledge right now to help me reach my funding goal of 100 million dollars in 30 days. That may sound like a large sum, but when you hear this pitch and what I'm planning, I think you'll agree it's well worth taking out a second mortgage on your home.
=I can't reveal too much without spoiling the game's many twists and surprises, but following are some FAQs and my responses.
Can you describe exactly the kind of game you're proposing here?
Of course. In short, this will be a game with a system in which players engage in an artificial conflict, defined by rules, that results in a quantifiable outcome. That's about as specific as I can be at this point, but hopefully that answers your question.
$100 million doesn't seem like enough money to make an indie game. How will you budget it out?
You're absolutely right--just the martinis, spa treatments, Belgian chocolates, and Star Wars collectibles for the office can quickly reach upwards of a million. Of course I also have a taste for exotic ales that has to be factored in. But I think there should be at least enough left over to pay an amateur coder a part-time salary to do the heavy lifting. I'm also planning on including art and perhaps some public domain music.
Will it have rats in it?
Who the hell do you think you're talking to here? Okay, that's all the time I have for answering questions. Now pledge!!!

More information.

Awesome commentary of what NOT to do when you start a Kickstarter. Sad that there are a good number of Kickstarters out there guilty of one or more of the points Matt makes through good use of hyperbole. I want to see the Kickstarter concept succeed, nothing makes me happier than to imagine publishers outsted from video game development.

I thought that video was hilarious when I saw it. Well done, Matt Barton.

Actually there should be a kickstarter to make a kickstarter campaign maker.

Was starting to laugh at him but then I saw the game shelf behind him. OMG!! Zork! Elite! Archon!! The original Yar's Revenge!!!

Great guns, I remember that Telengard box. I remember it sitting on the store shelf for eons - nobody would buy the thing. I don't remember the date but I do remember it was a long time after a game with essentially ASCII graphics had any business in retail.

Loved the Linux bit.

The key to open the box is in the box.

This said, Kickstarter could help to sell largely developped projects and be a preorder or an online retailing service or help and fund the developpment of projects.

KS at the moment is leaning toward the preorder and online retailing service.

The guy in the video should consider that elaborating concepts takes time and resources and that KS was also intended to support that.

After surveying KS projects, it does not reach enough people though to help consistently to fund the elaboration of projects. Usually, the funding is done by a small number of high pledges.

$100,000 projects are often funded by 3000~4000 pledgers while innovation and the risks it involves would be better served by them being funded by 7000 pledgers, all at the minimal pledge.

That was a good laugh or two. Love the DRM part.

Dr. A said:
Wow, Weird Al has really let himself go…

I think you'll find its Chad Kroeger who has let himself go. However, he has made an awesome satirical video.

I think you'll find its Chad Kroeger who has let himself go. However, he has made an awesome satirical video.

LMAO! Good one!

Its a cute video but a little long-winded, I think.

That was a good laugh or two. Love the DRM part.

Linux was the best part for me. That laugh seemed 100% genuine too. And the stretch goal. :)

Nice! I usually find his jokes (especially in game retrospective videos) quite lame, but that video was spot on! I can't stop laughing!

Back
Top Bottom