The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Oh not close to virgin, a sung duet at a recital has been heard by these ears, a disco version, among other instances.
Right. That's one way to ruin beauty. :)
Cheap tune, if you ask me. And so soft and sweet… When it comes to dance I prefer something with a bite in it.

Your disco made me think of the two versions of Carl Orff's 'O Fortuna' that were both banned by the heirs of Carl Orff. At the time all CD's were withdrawn from the shops.

One version: O fortuna feat. Satenig. I have that CD, bought it just in time.
But this is more to my liking: Apotheosis - O Fortuna.
Volume at max of course. :)

Excellent Apotheosis version. I have that on CD too. But you must learn to appreciate Jonathan Peters' progressive house mixes. The style is MEANT to sound like a cheap and garagey derivation of 70's disco. ;)

Check out a wonderful live rendition of Jon Anderson - Show Me. Very poignant for me.

Excellent Apotheosis version. I have that on CD too. But you must learn to appreciate Jonathan Peters' progressive house mixes. The style is MEANT to sound like a cheap and garagey derivation of 70's disco. ;)
You have that CD? Well, that's a pleasant surprise. :)
As for Peters: the style is MEANT to sound cheap and garagey? You're sure you didn't buy some clever marketing story there?

Check out a wonderful live rendition of Jon Anderson - Show Me. Very poignant for me.
Why 'poignant'? Could you please explain?
I must say I rarely pay attention to lyrics, and normally no sooner than having listened to a song for the 50th time or so. To me the human voice in music is 'just' an instrument.

Jon Anderson's airy voice is quite distinct and beautiful, but I can't always appreciate him, it depends on the song and the other instruments.

The link you gave, the sound is not good. And I find the guitar shrill, dominant and distracting. I liked the melody though.
So I searched to see if I could find a video that would be able to please my ears.
Jon Anderson - Show me. Live at Montreux 2003 would have been my choice. Now THAT is a wonderful live rendition. Thanks for pointing the way. :)

I didn't know the song. Thanks for mentioning it.

Last edited:
Why 'poignant'? Could you please explain?
I must say I rarely pay attention to lyrics, and normally no sooner than having listened to a song for the 50th time or so. To me the human voice in music is 'just' an instrument.

The link you gave, the sound is not good. And I find the guitar shrill, dominant and distracting. I liked the melody though.
So I searched to see if I could find a video that would be able to please my ears.
Jon Anderson - Show me. Live at Montreux 2003 would have been my choice. Now THAT is a wonderful live rendition. Thanks for pointing the way. :)

I didn't know the song. Thanks for mentioning it.

Poignant as in the lyrics. It's about the gulf war. Also the way he is presenting it - as a sole singer with a simple acoustic guitar, it becomes self-referential and amplifies the "one man" lyric, giving me a much stronger feeling than the ensemble performance. It's definitively one of those things where the sum is much greater than the parts. The sound of the guitar is incidental to me, it's simplicity emphasizes the lyrics though. Just works for me.

Poignant as in the lyrics. It's about the gulf war. Also the way he is presenting it - as a sole singer with a simple acoustic guitar, it becomes self-referential and amplifies the "one man" lyric, giving me a much stronger feeling than the ensemble performance. It's definitively one of those things where the sum is much greater than the parts. The sound of the guitar is incidental to me, it's simplicity emphasizes the lyrics though. Just works for me.
Aha, I see. Thanks for enlightening me.

Well, that's weird! On what antique computer are you watching it? I can even watch it on my iPad, first generation. :)

Yes, and ideal for warm summerevenings… Like this one. :)

The dreadful GEMA company inhibits some youtube videos in Germany - they have rights for certain titles and want money for it.

Youtube Unblocker 0.4.4 works with Firefox … :)

Last edited:
Quite. Lovely videos too. Her register reminds me a bit of Grace Jones at times… Vocal starts at 1:52.
That one I can not watch. I get a message the owner of the video does not want it to be played on mobile devices. (Does anyone has an idea why someone would do that?)

Grace Jones. Yeah, know her, like her. Grace is sex. Khadja is summerevening. :)

Back
Top Bottom