Wizardry Online

D

Deleted User

Anyone playing? This game sounds very interesting to me. Chance of perma-death, PvP at all times, dangerous traps in dungeons, some JRPG style, etc. This may be the MMO I try next. Still deciding.

Anyone heard anything about this game? It's free to play.

I played beta and, don't remember why, but it wasn't my style.

I played this game a bit last night and I have some impressions. For anyone interested, keep reading :).

First, the game DOES look similar to a JRPG, so if that's not your thing, you may want to skip it. I personally love me some JRPGs, so the style is right up my alley. This influence is seen mostly in the character models, the music and the cutscenes, which all look and sound as though they came right out of a JRPG.

The game has a lot of cutscenes. If you just want to skip through and get to combat, you're going to be waiting awhile. The cutscenes as I mentioned, are very much like JRPG cutscenes. They have similar writing style and presentation. I enjoyed them and didn't skip any of them.

The gameplay. The controls take a bit of getting used to, and I still don't have the best grasp of them, so combat at first is a little awkward. You can lock onto targets which is nice. You can dodge and evade attacks and have free motion when battling. Spacebar acts as a quick dodge backwards and comes in handy for avoiding damage. And you will want to avoid damage. There is no auto-heal, so you need either potions (which apparently are rare) or sleeping at an inn.

The way they handle the perma-death is pretty cool if you ask me. When you die, you become a soul. You have to visit a shrine to be resurrected, but watch out for the Walker demons, if they touch you it will lower your chances of being successfully revived. If you aren't successfully revived, it's game over, you lose that character. I'm not 100% clear on how this all works, but so far it seems like an interesting mechanic.

I'll admit, the game is pretty slow starting out as it's mostly cutscenes. It's going to be awhile before you get into action and once that somewhat short tutorial dungeon is over, it's back to town for more cutscenes :).

Going back to play a little more today, and I'll post more impressions as I do. Right now I could say for sure this is not a game for those with little patience who just want to jump into epic combat right away. It's much slower paced at first. But yeah, more impressions coming later.

The game has a kind of Dark Souls thing going for it, in that it's very easy to die. I died a few times in the first adventure dungeon from both traps and enemies.

Big problem with the game is the warping/lag, though. It's near unplayable for me. You run across the room only to be warped back to the beginning numerous times. It gets worse in combat when attacks and dodges are not registered, and in a game where staying alive is already difficult, this makes the game nearly unplayable. You will take way more damage than you should because your dodge did not work correctly. At least, this happens in my experience, and apparently some people on Steam reported the same issues with their server.

Because of this issue I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to play. I will give it a little more of a shot but if it continues I'm going to stop playing.

Edit - I uninstalled it. The warp was just too much. Maybe when they fix that the game will be playable.

Last edited:
Are you sure it wasn't your own internet connection, Fluent?

It could be my connection, but I don't have any issues at all in LOTRO or Everquest 2. I only got the warping effect in Wizardry.

I also researched the issue and a few other people reported warping on the European server as well. So who knows.

I will do this, though. Once I move to my new place which has a 50 Mb/s connection, I will re-download Wizardry Online and try it again. I'll report back when that happens.

Open Run command interface in Windows.
ping -t google.com

If you're not steady, it's your connection, not the game/server/client.

Any game with perma-death and PvP is definitely NOT of ANY interest to me!! Time is way too precious to waste and losing a character I've put time into developing is a waste, especially if I have to re-watch cut scenes!! YUK!!!!

Agreed Corwin. Too bad because Wizardry Proving Grounds of the Madoverlord is the first computer game I ever played.

I wasn't crazy about constant PvP or perma-death, but the more I thought about it as a different experience than the norm, I thought it would definitely be cool to try. There's definitely an interesting aspect there when anyone in the world could be hostile at any moment. You're not even safe in town. Sounds a little nerve-racking really, but I think it's cool. All the more reason to team yourself up with some powerful friends.

Also, you could put bounties on the player-killer characters if they messed with you. So if they killed you, you could then issue a reward on that player's head for anyone willing to claim it. So really, players are taking their own lives in their hands when they commit a crime against you or someone in your guild. It's a tricky situation that I think can add a lot of depth to a game like that, but it's definitely not for everybody.

The perma-death wasn't guaranteed, either. I died a few times and had a 100% revival rate and was able to come back. I'm not sure exactly how it worked, but sometimes you would have a lower chance of reviving based on different factors. However, you could offer your items to the gods for a higher chance of revival if your chances weren't too good. You could potentially tip the scales in your favor if you had enough precious items to offer. It was executed in a cool way I thought.

Also, players could loot your body when you died and went into soul form before you resurrect. They would be labeled criminals if they did that, but they could do it. So if you were carrying some precious item, there was a good chance some bandit might come along and loot your body while you were busy finding a statue to revive at. Interesting mechanic for a game like that, but again, not for everybody.

I just wish the game worked properly for me so I could give it a real shot. It has some elements in it that could definitely be a change of pace from the games I'm used to.

By the way, I did the ping test, and there were a few hiccups. Also, I'm experiencing a bit of warp in LOTRO, too, though not as bad as it was in Wizardry, so I'm guessing my connection is to blame here. I will download Wizardry again and give it another shot when I get to my new residence (with a sweet 50 Mb/s connection :) )

My question is whatever it has anything at all to do with Wizardry ( Read as wiz 1-8 ) ?

Back
Top Bottom