Gothic 2 G2 Story Question

Nukester

Sentinel
Played G1 and its one of my favorite games of all time. Loved it. Picked up G2 a couple of years ago, but just couldnt get into the story. I wanted to give G3 a try, bought it, but its absolutely unplayable until I get more RAM. Decided to go back to G2 and try and get into it again. However, Im back to where i was before, being bored to death by the story. Granted Im not that far into it yet, but this running around on farms is dreadfully dull. My question is, does the story get any more exciting than this ? Should I stick with it since I loved G1 so much ?

Im currently running around farms trying to become a mercenary if that helps guage where I am in the story.

The answer is a resounding "yes." There are three completely different and mutually exclusive stories in G2; once you get past the rather slow start, things do get very exciting indeed. Stick with it; it gets better the further you go.

And be sure to make a save BEFORE joining a guild. You can use it on your next play through without doing the boring stuff over again.

I actually enjoy the start, although right now I enjoy the add-on world the most, as I haven't played through it as many times as the rest, and it has a great atmosphere.

I never found add-on world that great... For some reason it didn't feel real. It felt like it was created for us. unlike the valley of mines and the new world. Maybe there were just way too many different themes Like canyon, swamp, sand beach, rocky mountains... Too much stuff in a small area. I felt that add-on world was a bit fake at times? Sure it was fun to play through and everything in the swamp area and inside addanos temple was wonderfull, but other locations simply weren't same caliber.

Did anyone else feel same way?

That's a good point, although most of the areas flow nicely into each other in my opinion, such as the tropical area with the beach. Truth be told, the swamp and cayon appear a bit "out of nowhere" when you enter them, but once inside it feels right. Also, I love the music in the add-on area (which is also used in G3, a nice touch by KaiRo).

Edit: Had to add something. What I dislike about the add-on is the way you talk to Saturas and the water mages for the first time. They are still angry at what you did, you try to explain a bit, but that's it. In reality, I would definetly explain a whole lot to them about the actual consequences of not defeating the Sleeper, and that it was necessary to do what the hero did. Instead, Saturas goes on and on about how you betrayed his trust - in my opinion the hero did the right thing, but never gets to defend himself properly against the accusations.

I thought the best area in the add-on was the beach near the Pirate camp. There were some really cool things to see if you explored around there.

I also agree that Jharkendar seemed a bit out of place but most of the new areas were a blast to play through, eg. beach, canyon, etc

And this add-on is the only one i know of, in any game, that actually integrated itself into the main game so smoothly.

Offtopic question - Why are the G1/G2 sub-forums under Gothic 3?

I love the start phase, where you get to know the world and people and owe nothing to nobody

I agree, in fact, I love that part in both G1 and G2.

Give it some time.
The game grows on you.
Once you join a faction the fun really starts.

I fell in love with the environment and with the people of the realm.
I enjoyed discovering hidden items and locations.
I liked the leveling up system of raising your Strengh, Dexterity , Mana, 1 handed sword, etc. in order to confront tough opponents whether they be human or beast.

This a game where you feel like your doing something worthwile.
That you have to work in order to go somewhere.

In short, I fell in love with the game.

You should give it a try.

P.S. : I haven't read the other posts so I might be replying for nothing.
I just looked at the date of the first post... I am quite late. heheheh.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom