Android phones

Ah ok - yeah I'm not up on the unlocked non-contract options as much.

I've heard of people finding good deals on Ebay for unlocked used phones - that might be another way to get a slightly older high-end device for a reasonable price.

The sad reality is that most Android phones lose retail value *very* fast - there have already been $0.01 sales on the Droid Razr (2 months old) on AmazonWireless. But the off-contract prices stay high ... heck, I could probably get >$100 for my Droid Pro that I have used for a year (after buying on eBay) and it has been 'free' on Verizon for months.

They officially announced the release of the Droid 4 now - will be coming out this Friday the 10th. Hopefully I'll get a chance to check it out in-store this weekend.

They are also going to have a bunch of special deals starting then - like double data and "buy one get one free" on the RAZRs.

Glass isn't indestructible.

Gorilla Glass is!!!

:) JK

I get what you're saying though, you're right about Samsung phones in general feeling cheap.

As for the SII, sure, it's not as solidly built as other phones but I think it's a great balancing act: it uses what may be "lesser" materials, but those materials do the job fine. It's not like they're fragile and start coming apart if you hold them too tightly. And as mentioned, it keeps the phones light. I don't want to feel like I'm holding a brick in my pocket.

Phones shouldn't be made like they're going to last a decade though - who keeps a phone longer than 2 or 3 years?

The Droid Razr has a kevlar backing though - that could stop a bullet and save my life right? Can the Samsungs do that? :)

Just kidding - I see both sides of the "build quality" debate. It comes down to personal preference I suppose.

I like my tank-like Droid 1 but I think I'd be fine with a lighter build as well. I just remembered that I did own a Samsung smartphone once - back in the Windows Mobile days. I do remember it being somewhat plasticy but it never caused any problems.

I have a Galaxy 1 and the hardware is fine but, compared to the iPhone I had previously, the software blows. I'm not a power user and just want simple things like predictive text, taking a photo, etc to work. It constantly frustrates me - things crash, onscreen buttons don't respond, blah blah. I miss my iPhone.

What galaxy do you have exaclty? I never heard of such a problems.

My spouse had an early Droid phone. It too was buggy. Ringtones would not download, etc... The last thing I want to do is troubleshoot my phone. That's why I went with the iPhone...

I have a Galaxy S GT-9100 and it works just fine. I can phone with it and send text messages, which is what I use my phone for in 90% of the cases.
The only problem I have for a month or so is that it will not check my POP mail accounts anymore. My Exchange account I use for work still works though, which is more important anyway, so it is only mildly annoying.

As for the robustness I'm not that bothered. I have a plastic cover to protect it when it falls. I suppose it has a real plastic feeling now for some :) Then again I do not have a phone as a fashion item so I do not care. It is lightweight, which is a pre in my view. Besides that it only has to last for 2 years anyway (of which 1 year has almost past).

My spouse had an early Droid phone. It too was buggy. Ringtones would not download, etc… The last thing I want to do is troubleshoot my phone. That's why I went with the iPhone…

Well, I can't believe how someone could get an iphone if they don't want to troubleshoot their phone. I cannot imagine a worse phone in that case, I know people with iphones….. first one displayed an apple on screen… not possible to turn it off, rebooting by some obscure button combination did work, which displayed the apple again and the phone hanging forever…. that kind of thing would never happen on an android phone which you can just turn off and or remove battery, and or reset.

Secondly others could not download a free app on their phone because you need to have your credit card validated by apple? I've never heard anything so stupid in my life.

Thirdly to validate your itunes account for app download you need to get an email from apple, even after trying with 5 different email adresses and resending each one did any email arrive inspite of a confirmation by apple that it would.

How anyone could pay twice the price for worse performance for such a horrible product is completly beyond my understanding.

Because I have had none of the problems you mention. It's also why is gets the market share. Imagine that. In general, the iPhone has been as solid as a rock for me. I don't understand this irrational hate for all things Apple, but that's not my problem, it's yours.

I am sure the market share will keep decreasing, even if you didn't get those problem it is unacceptable that they exist.

If possible - could we keep this thread about Android and not "Android vs. Iphone"? Those debates get old really fast (like Mac vs. PC, politics, religion, etc...)

Did you actually read that article, or did you just look at the title?

I said nothing about "trends". I simply stated a fact.

Did you read the title?

Apple iPhone 4S vs. Android: iPhone Sales Pass Android Sales in Last Three Months

The article content is ambiguous and seemingly contradictory with the title.

I'll look for a better reference.

If possible - could we keep this thread about Android and not "Android vs. Iphone"? Those debates get old really fast (like Mac vs. PC, politics, religion, etc…)

Sorry, I just can't resisit when some "nuts" ( kidding, anyone have the right to like any phone which suit them the best ) say in a thread like this how they bought iphones instead, and even claim they are better. I'll refrain from the debate and ruin the thread.

Back
Top Bottom