Gothic 3 1.75 CPT released

I am not sure when I'll have the time to do that :-/ I'll give it a shot but if I don't have time for it tonight it'll probably be next weekend (unless I forget).

Meanwhile you could give it a shot, it doesn't have to be playable to see how it looks ;)

It looks a bit better than this (CP 1.74 + PCGH ini) generally speaking…

Having yet another look at this - it actually seems smooth enough to try in first person now, perhaps. The colours all seem more saturated. Not sure if I like it but it's nice to see something different

Does anyone know what Colour Grading does?

Got any screens? My rig probably could never run that setup, I'm curious to see how it looks in its full splendour.

There you go. Not exactly pro quality or a lot of variety but they do show off the visibility…

Supposedly color correction. If you have a problem with saturation (I like it, more colorful without being in fairytale territory) perhaps it is worth a try...

This all I was able to find in the manual for modders
"Color Grading" is a post processing effect that changes the colors of a rendered ingame
image (frame) according to a certain color scheme. Common changes concern brightness,
contrast, saturation, luminance, hue, etc

Heh, thanks. Sort of like a nasty looking Sir David A. … in Myrtana!

Actually that mental image was funny enough I'll probably add a couple of pics tonight, to flesh out the menagerie, if I have the time ;)

Meanwhile you could give it a shot, it doesn't have to be playable to see how it looks ;)

I guess not, no. :)

There you go. Not exactly pro quality or a lot of variety but they do show off the visibility…

Ahh, much obliged!
Looks nothing short of breathtaking, really. Those vistas, that open world, ... Despite its flaws, Gothic 3 is a unique game.

You are welcome. Fooled around a bit more and added a couple new ones btw.

I am surprised by how relatively well it behaves, in my less than cutting edge system, with those settings. Loading i.e is not half as bad as I feared it would be (less loading zones and a tad worse than CP 1.74 performance ).

If I wanted to play in earnest though I'd probably have to downgrade by 25% I believe (CP 1.75 spoiled me ;) )… Would still look great I am sure…

I am starting to wonder if installing a Samsung 830 128 GB ssd as a secondary drive on an intel ICH10 chipset (sata 2) is a particularly stupid idea :biggrin:

I am starting to wonder if installing a Samsung 830 128 GB ssd as a secondary drive on an intel ICH10 chipset (sata 2) is a particularly stupid idea :biggrin:

I have G3 installed to that exact drive and it runs well enough at 45-60fps most of the time (965 Phenom II + 5870), but it still bogs down sometimes to 25fps before quickly going back to normal fps. Basically, the game engine's stuttering is still causing issues. Not horrible though.

Standard 1.75 ini I presume ?

Not that I am aware of. I wanted to make sure that you hadn't pushed quality further yourself.

I suspect that the difference between the ssd and my WD raptor raid 0 will not blow me away in Gothic 3 (its sort of a special case). I don't doubt it is smoother there though. Also I am certain that overall game loading will be significantly better so I am tempted to get one and put the mainstays (the ones that don't get uninstalled) there… (At a later time as the money are not exactly burning a hole in my pocket right now as they say)

Thanks for the info Drithius.

Edit: Aw who was I kidding, I was gonna do it anyway… Just placed an order for an 830 ;)

Last edited:
Been running around with 1.75 and the content & quest mods - this really is a very good looking game. I pushed out the ini values to around their PCGH levels and its very impressive. I've just finished Risen 2 and I'd probably have to say this looks better, though with different strengths.

One thing I've now seen is that NPCs are spawning in range of each other now, and are often fighting by the time I get there, e.g. at Gotha, or near Montera. Not sure if that's just an ini tweak too far or some modder intended it.

One thing I've now seen is that NPCs are spawning in range of each other now, and are often fighting by the time I get there, e.g. at Gotha, or near Montera. Not sure if that's just an ini tweak too far or some modder intended it.

Its the Entity.ROI value in the ini, that is doubled from its default 4000

; ==================================
; DYNAMIC ENTITY CAPS
; ==================================
; ROI sphere is used to process all dynamic entities within range.
;Entity.ROI - 0.01=min, FarClippingPlane=max, 4000.0=default
;Automatically clamped to FarClippingPlane if bigger
Entity.ROI=8000.0

So not only are the NPCs/monsters spawned at double the distance, but their AI is processed as well…

Other than that I do not believe spawn points have changed. BTW Sometimes you will find one of the rebel camps outside Montera engaged with an Orc Patrol (coming all the way from Faring I believe) but that is something that could happen in the vanilla game too. The doubled roi value makes it more probable I imagine....

If I only could do one tweak, it would be this and pushing vegetation a bit beyond that threshold (9500 would do it iirc) so it appears more natural (and indeed have done so at my last replay). It can be sort of a mixed blessing though sometimes, as you noted…

Last edited:
One specific place where it will be an issue (the entity spawn distance) is where you initially arrive in Vengard. The surrounding orcs will be aware of the paladins and will no longer just besiege them, but will attack. That's quite a big difference and will probably preclude certain quests.

Nope, The distance between paladins and orcs is sufficient so that they don't become hostile. It was always well within the 4000 range anyways…

Do some monsters still respawn or did they remove that feature? I remember it was in v1.6, but it was buggy.

Didn't run to any related bug in my 1.74 run.

From the CP Manual for anyone interested in specifics:

Respawn reactivated and corrected": For animals and monsters
which are killed, there now is a certain chance that they "respawn"
somewhere, meaning that they come back to life. This happens after
a minimum of 120 hours after the death of the respective NPC, and
only with a limited probability. Some types of monsters, for example
dragons and trolls, are never brought back to life. Orcs and humans
will also never respawn.
Respawed animals and monsters are not different from the original
NPCs. In other words, the hero will get the full amount of experience
points for killing them

Back