I might be done with PC gaming

CelticFrost

SasqWatch
I have know I needed to update this PC for about 6 months if I wanted to play some of the newer AAA games that are being released now. But since there still a lot of older games I haven't played yet and still like replaying other games I haven't.

I still can't figure out why D:OS EE won't play on this PC, even on can I run it, it shows I can. I hate to say this but I am thinking after 30 years of PC game I might just buy a PS4.

One of my children is playing Fallout4 on his right now and having a blast with I have sat in watching him sit back in his gaming chair, control in hand, not worrying about keys and what not.

But really not seeing the reason to own a PC for gaming any more, patches? unfinished games? They are making games for consoles first now and I can buy a PS4 for 400.00 and a nice 4k tv for 1000.00.

PC gaming is about the indie games imo. I would hate to have missed out on Age of Decadence and Legend of Grimrock. If you are after AAA games then there is really no need for a PC. Besides AAA RPG's these days are optimised for consoles gameplay wise like for example Fallout 4's simple dialogue choices and witcher 3's controls.

You can't mod console games... For me that's QED.

-kaos

I hear you brother. I have a ps3, ps4 and pc. It is so nice to sit on the couch and play with the consoles. I have the same frustration as you. My pc will not play the DOS:EE and more frustratingly will have no chance of playing DOS 2 without upgrading.

PC gaming is about the indie games imo. I would hate to have missed out on Age of Decadence and Legend of Grimrock. If you are after AAA games then there is really no need for a PC. Besides AAA RPG's these days are optimised for consoles gameplay wise like for example Fallout 4's simple dialogue choices and witcher 3's controls.

With D:OS EE released on PS4 and am sure more indie and smaller companies will be doing the same. How many of them, not sure it matters to me as how many of those games am I going to play.

Maybe I am just trying to figure out how much time I spend playing new games and what games they are VS games from the past I play that run great on this system.
Also how many new games are going to be coming out on consoles and PC vs only PC..

Anything a console can do a PC can do (better). You want to play a game with a controller? You can use an Xbox controller (and with a bit of tweaking, I understand you can use PS4 controllers, too). Apparently you can even use a Wii mote on PC via a bluetooth adapter… (Hell or get a wireless mouse or mouse extension cord). So there's absolutely no reason you can't sit on a couch or recliner and play games on your PC…

Console exclusives used to be a reason to own consoles, but these days most AAA games get released on Steam… Even most of the console JRPGs seem to. I have a PS3 sitting in a closet somewhere that I've barely used. Oh well, at least it can play Blu-ray discs.

And as mentioned there's the whole modding aspect.. Even if you generally don't like bothering with mods that enhance graphics or UI, you never know when there will be another game like NWN or Shadowrun Returns where user generated campaigns will be available for free or flawed gems like VtM: Bloodlines that get community patches for years after release.

IMHO the only reason to game on a console is if you're budget is extremely tight… But what I don't understand is the people who say "I can't afford a gaming PC", but then they buy a console for $400 bucks and a crappy desktop PC made by Dell, Gateway etc. for another $400 to use for web browsing, MS office etc anyway… Just use that ~$800 to build yourself a decent PC (or if you don't feel like bothering with ordering parts, building, and installing Windows, there are companies online that will build you a nice custom PC for reasonable price or even your local PC store).

The fact that DOS and WL2 went to consoles doesn't necessarily mean others will; both comapnies invested a lot of money in that and time will tell if it was actually worth the effort, I guess.

Also Off the top of my head here's a list of recent PC RPGs & Strategy games that will probably never be released on consoles:
Age of Decadence, Age of Wonders 3, Battle Worlds: Kronos, Blackguards, Blackguards 2, Dead State, Expeditions: Conquistador, Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing (trilogy), Legends of Eisenwald, Lords of Xulima, Might & Magic X: Legacy, Pillars of Eternity, Satellite Reign, Serpents in the Staglands, Shadowrun Returns / Dragonfall / Hong Kong…

Hard West comes out in a few days and Underrail will probably get a full release in a few weeks. Expeditions: Vikings is out sometime next year, Battletech in 2017, Torment: ToN, and Bard's Tale IV out in the next couple of years, D:OS2, etc. Seven Dragon Saga hopefully in a year or two. Probably a ton I'm forgetting. And the developers of many of the above will surely be working on sequels or other PC centric games.

I just don't get why people still game on consoles when there are far more games available on PC (considering all the indies that will never get released on consoles), PC allows for modding and more customization in general, upgradability, and games can potentially look better and run smoother on PC. But hey, it's your money.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't like using game pads or controllers. I have never owned a console for that reason, and also because I've always been a PC gamer/enthusiast. It's all about the mouse and keyboard for me. I even have fancy gaming mice and a fancy gaming mechanical keyboard. I'm one of those suckers who buy this kind of stuff. And as others mentioned, the mods are another reason to do PC gaming, they are indispensable, really. But that is me.

...I even have fancy gaming mice and a fancy gaming mechanical keyboard. I'm one of those suckers who buy this kind of stuff. ...

Suckers?

pibbur who lovingly looks at his Roccat Tyon mouse and considers buying a mech. keyboard.

But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression - the dark side of the Force, are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

:biggrin:

I'm thinking the same. My old computer "died" so i'm considering a new pc right now. I'm not playing games like i used to. Indie rpgs and mods are the only reason i'm thinking a new gaming pc.
Second choice is a ps4 and a laptop for around 700 euros for indie games and multimedia reasons.

Short version: Star Citizen.

j/k :)

It's a personal choice, certainly.

I'm what you would call a very demanding gamer - and I could never force myself to play an inferior version of a game that I really wanted to play.

Very, very few games are the same across platforms. Maybe one in a thousand games can truly claim to play and look exactly the same on all current gen consoles and a modern PC.

In the vast majority of cases, the PC version will look and play better - though you often have to tweak and fiddle around with community stuff to get the best of the experience. Since I was more or less born with a computer in my hands instead of a rattle - that's just a natural process to me.

I think the biggest factor is performance and frame-rate. I'm extremely obsessive when it comes to performance, and there's just no way I can enjoy a game that struggles to maintain 30 FPS when I know I could be playing it at 60 FPS. For instance, I'd rather drown in my own waste than subject myself to Fallout 4 on my PS4 - as I have a PC standing around that's much, much more powerful.

If I want the couch experience, I can just use Steam to stream it to my living room laptop that I've got hooked up to my projector. I have my Xbox 360 wireless connector and controller configured there as well, so the only difference would be that I'd have much better load times, better graphics and vastly superior perfomance.

I guess it all depends on what you want from a game - and what kind of experience you're looking for. Also, it obviously means spending more money to keep up to date. Since I don't spend that much money on other things - I can afford to stay current, and I've never had any second thoughts about spending money on the things I enjoy. To me, there's really no reason not to treat yourself to things - if you can afford it.

As for DOS:EE - it runs perfectly on my rig. I'm sorry, I know that's not a great help - but I'm pretty sure it's not the game so much as your particular configuration. I'm very used to solving that kind of issue on PC, so I'm obviously biased. That said, I honestly have very, very few problems getting games to run out-of-the box. The only reason I spend any significant time tweaking stuff is because I want the most of any game I want to play. In the VAST majority of cases, I could just run it out-of-the-box and have a fine time - if I wasn't obsessive.

That said, for any PC game - it's definitely wise to wait a month or two after release if you're not inclined to deal with release issues. Not ideal, but unless you're very impatient - it's a pretty good way to insure yourself against most significant flaws.

On top of all that, we have the obvious advantage of the PC platform having access to a VAST library of both ancient and indie titles. If you're at all interested in gaming as more than just playing that one game you're keen on, then there's no substitute as a way to get the most of your hobby.

I'm against any platform or "platform" that's not PC.

You want to play with whatever controls type? PC.
You want to have everything maxed on 60 FPS? PC.
You want 4K gaming? PC.
You want mod yourself out till you die? PC.
You want backup savegames, games, pics, music, whatever? PC.
You want a game working on a new machine after decades? PC.
You want not just game but also e-mails, web, utils, and all those things that are not pr0n (who am I kidding)? PC.
You want to stream stuff from another room onto TV over a HDMI dongle? PC.

So get your priorities straight.
You don't need a fortune for a decent PC (who needs i7? grab i5! or why would you buy Titan when GTX960 is good enough to run everything except hairworks) and call me an idiot but I bet you could spend less buck on PC that performs better than stuff like iPhone.

Last edited:
REAL gamers have BOTH! :biggrin:

No but seriously, why not both?

I'm love gaming on my PC. I also have a PS3 and PS4. I have Skyrim on Steam and collectors edition on PS3. I've logged maybe 5 hours on PC of that game. I've logged over 200 hours on PS3. Why did I log so many hours on console instead of PC? Sometimes at the end of the day, I didn't want to sit at a desk or chair and deal with driver issues. I wanted to relax at a couch, eat my stuff sitting on the coffee table, while pressing my wireless controller button and having the stereo, TV and PS3 just all magically turning on. The only thing that drives me nuts, is that I can't play it on the PS4. Having a PC is great because I don't have to worry about losing all my games when I upgrade. I like that I can install Gothic on the PC and with a couple community patches, the graphics and framerate are even better than the original. We all have our opinions here obviously. Some here will try and make you even feel inferior for choosing a side.

WHO THE FUCK CARES! WE ARE GAMERS!

We don't game for superiority. We game because we like the games, and we have the freedom these days to choose what medium we play them on! What a great age of technology! Do what's fun for you. That's the only thing that should matter.

For me personally consoles are out of the question for the reason Arkadia7 mentioned. I just hate being limited to controller input. Having to play games with aim assist, having crippled UIs and so on.

In addition lots of the games I play don't even release on consoles.

And then there are all the reasons joxer mentioned.

Oh, and for those who say that Consoles are cheaper: Just add games for 2 years and you are at the same price. As every console game is about 10-20€ more expensive and there are less hardcore sales than on steam, you will spend more money there while saving on the hardware.

And one more reason: VR.
Yeah, Playstation is getting VR too. But seriously. The Oculus CEO mentioned that the standard for VR is a GTX970 for a good experience. The Graphics card used in a PS only offers half the speed.
In addition the intersection of people having a PS AND PS VR will be minimal. And I doubt that developing games for such an audience is a task lots of developers will take. On the PC however: Not just that Hardware enthusiasts are at home here, you also have games not specifically made for VR which will work with VR anyways (Elite Dangerous, Euro Truck Simulator).

And while today a PC with a GTX 970 is not really cheap, this will probably look different in 1-2 years when new GPU Chipsets were released. And if they go with the usual rate the next PS is to be expected in 6-7 years.
And if you are ok with not running VR on "recommended" settings, you can get a PC for 600€ these days which outperforms a console by far in every aspect. And if you upgrade your GPU in 2 years for 200€ you will do fine with VR as well.

What I really, really hate is the fact that on newer PCS and OSses, older games just won't be playable anymore at one point. (SecuRom, anyone ?)
The "Windows XP Mode" was targetted at business ! Not at us home users ! Shows who is more important to Microsoft ...

The only hope left is GOG, and some Indies.

But I think the games actually affected by SecuRom are only very few. This mechanism wasn't around for too long.

Personally I rather rebuy games on gog anyways than play them from cd. The speed...the noise...

yeah, indies and smaller releases are the only reason to own a PC nowadays. Which is kinda good news, as you'll never need an up to date PC.

I have had the same pc for the last 20 years there are probably not a single original part left but for me my pc has always been a project thast grows over time incrementaly and because of that it has become an entity in itself
I still have parts that are at least 15 years old I have soundcard that I got from a musician friend that beat most of everything on the market today if you can forego surround I have 9 harddrives and so on etc etc
I need to upgrade both my motherboard and processor, and my graphics card at the moment and I can only afford one so I will start with the graphics and the computer will continue to evolve

Back
Top Bottom