Project Eternity - Post-Funding Update #63, Strongholds

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Obsidian has released a new post-funding update for Project Eternity giving out more details about the games stronghold.

Hello! I have spent much of my time for the last few weeks devoted to making the game’s stronghold system, which was one of our Kickstarter project’s biggest stretch goals, into one of the best systems in the game. Josh has created an amazing and detailed stronghold design, with lots of upgrades and activities and random events that really make owning a stronghold fun and exciting. I want to spend this update explaining what we have made in the game, but first, let’s talk about the stronghold itself.

First, a caveat: I am going to describe the stronghold as it is currently designed. This design is mostly programmed already too, but as with all development, it might change as we finish the art and audio, fix any bugs, and tune the game play. So please view this as a snapshot of the stronghold development as it exists today.

You will be offered the stronghold early in the game, before you finish Act 1. But the stronghold itself is old and dilapidated, and you will want to upgrade it as soon as you can. These upgrades will, in turn, open up new activities and events that can happen, which will make the stronghold a dynamic and fun place to own.
More information.

It sounds like they have a good plan in place to turn the stronghold into a meaningful and significant element of the game.

Nice update. But it sounds like all the classes have the same stronghold, otherwise he would have mentioned there are different ones right? Not that big a deal, I seldom have the time for several playthroughs anymore anyway. It also sounds like you "get" all the companions, like in NWN2. This I don't like, but since it only ended up at what, 7 companions? 8?, I suppose it's logical. I prefer the system from Baldurs Gate though, but for that to work you would need something like 15-20 different companions, and I realize that would be a huge undertaking if you want them all to have personality.

Even without cheerleading (implementation and balancing could produce wildly different results), this sounds awesome. Doesn't seem to trigger the same responses as a DA3 or TW3 trailer though ;)

Even without cheerleading (implementation and balancing could produce wildly different results), this sounds awesome. Doesn't seem to trigger the same responses as a DA3 or TW3 trailer though ;)
I don't except it to. So please stop with the bashing of DA3, and TW3. We get it you don't like them as you stated in every topic all week.;)

As for me I'm looking forward to every RPG coming out in the next year as there are never enough RPG's to play. Moving on now. :movingon:

I don't except it to. So please stop with the bashing of DA3, and TW3. We get it you don't like them as you stated in every topic all week.;)

I'll have an opinion of DA3 and TW3 when they come out (other than that they look pretty, I'm sure of that already). I wasn't talking only about the Watch anyway; I'm sure the same thing happens pretty much everywhere, well, with the possible exception of the P:E forums ;)

Nice update. But it sounds like all the classes have the same stronghold, otherwise he would have mentioned there are different ones right? Not that big a deal, I seldom have the time for several playthroughs anymore anyway.

The customization of the stronghold might be dependent on your character. Same place, in principle, but you can get only so many bells and whistles with one character.

With all the variables they are bringing to the table, the stronghold experience could potentially be quite different for different players.

I always liked meaningful strongholds, like the ones in BG2, Morrowind and NWN2. It would certainly add something to the replay value if the customization is as good as it sounds.

My one concern about the system stems from the stronghold under attack random events. I think there's a line between fun and engaging vs. boring and tedious. Too many and/or nonchallenging/interesting attacks would have me looking for a mod to remove them all together. Hoping they stay on the right side for implementation there. Would have loved to see different strongholds for different classes but, considering their budget, more interested in them spending it elsewhere.

This reminds me of the stronghold in nwn2 (I think it was mask of b).

No, just plain NWN2. But yes, Obsidian can do strongholds alright, just a case of keeping them fresh, interesting and not unbalancing. Much as I enjoyed NWN2s, something about it just didn't quite work for me. BG2 strongholds were far more limited, but quite satisfactory (though high budget as you weren't likely to experience them all)

2.Adventures for idle companions. You will eventually have more companions than will fit in your party, so you will have leave some of them behind. While they are idling away at the stronghold, they can take part in their own adventures, earning additional experience for themselves and extra money, items and reputation bonuses for you!

This sounds nice, I would like to see similar thing in other party based RPGs

Strongholds

Instabuy!

Oops, I've pledged on this game ages ago. Ruined the day. :(
And because of their updates I can't wait to play the game.

What is it about strongholds that gets RPG players giddy nowadays? Don't get me wrong, I really like what I'm hearing from Obsidian, but…

…whatever happened to exploring the lonely road with your companions, forever wandering & adventuring? Lost to the world. A woman at every port. Lugging bags of gold and +5 battle axes vs Frost Giants in case you should ever meet one… Freedom. Ah the life!

Now we want gardens and walls and soldiers protecting us and massage tables... You people have gotten soft!

What is it about strongholds that gets RPG players giddy nowadays? Don't get me wrong, I really like what I'm hearing from Obsidian, but…

…whatever happened to exploring the lonely road with your companions, forever wandering & adventuring? Lost to the world. A woman at every port. Lugging bags of gold and +5 battle axes vs Frost Giants in case you should ever meet one… Freedom. Ah the life!

Now we want gardens and walls and soldiers protecting us and massage tables… You people have gotten soft!

Not really. Strongholds were part of the AD&D PnP experience long before CRPGs came along. :p

Ah the ageist battle is joined. Get your strikes in quickly RJ and Chaos, before someone says that they remember building strongholds in MUDs and BBS forums. Then along someone will come with a line of MMO's VS Single Players, and then they will all be trumped by the guy that fought in WWII and remembers playing in the literal dirt as a kid with a stick building his stronghold so his imaginary Indians could attack.

Now we want gardens and walls and soldiers protecting us and massage tables… You people have gotten soft!

Don't you feel served by, well, every other RPG out there?

Back
Top Bottom