What are you reading?

I finished the series and it is worth the effort, but Oh for a Reader's Digest version!! :D

I've actually just ordered Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy off Amazon. I'm probably going to start reading those when they get here.
And you're probably going to continue reading those until you are finished, with nary a pause in between. Accursed page turners, they are!

I am reading "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman, which is about how people make decisions. It's the only book that has ever been recommended to me by four different people, and once you get started you realise why. It is absolutely excellent. If you want to understand how people construct narratives from snippets of data, jump to conclusions, avoid loss, make risky choices and think they will succeed despite the odds, this one is for you.

Book Two of "Quest For The Spark".

Just finished Allegiant, the end of the Divergent trilogy ... took me nearly 3 weeks. Not the most exciting read, definitely better than the last Hunger Games book (low bar, I know). It is about the same as the second book (i.e. not as good as the first)

I'm busy reading the Silmarillion, in my quest for a full dose of Middle-Earth X-Mas goodness. It's been a sloooow read so far, but it's definitely nice knowing all the history of the world.

Hehe, talking about Middle Earth goodness: Sonny and I are currently reading The Two Towers, exactly 30 years after I read it for the first time. It's funny to watch the kid reading or listening ... he's so excited about everything :). What's beyond me, though, is how I managed to bring up a lover of Elves. When I was 17, I was a fan of Aragorn and the other Rangers, nowadays I'm more into all kinds of Ork.

Wanted to continue with The Children of Hurin but couldn't get into it right after the Silmarillion. Instead I picked up Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander, first novel in the Aubrey & Maturin series of stories. I watched the movie once but forgot everything, and now that I'm reading about all those naval things I'm often reminded of Star Trek for some reason … Anyway, so far it's a pretty good read.

After finishing A Song of Ice and Fire 3-5 in quick succession I thought it was time for some shorter stories and got A Blink of the Screen which collects almost all of Terry Pratchett's short fiction.

"Föhnlage", an caricature-criminal investigation story taking place in Bavaria.
Written by an Kabarettist.

Took a break with naval voyages and picked up The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. One word: ma-gi-cal. Warm-heartedly recommended for this time of year.

:juggle: <-- Schmendrick the Magician

I know, I'm late to the party…
Don't worry, I for myself am still on the verge of buying the books ! I know I'll do it anytime soon but still haven't made the plunge. Right now I'm having great fun reading another comics entitled Cuervos. That's a series published in France by Glenat éditions and I don't think it's been translated yet nor that it'll be one day and that's a shame as I'm sure the English readers would like the genre (it's been translated to Spanish though). The drawings are by Michel Durand and the story line was written by Richard Marazano. The story's about kids from the suburbs of Medellin, Colombia and about the relationship between these kids and the drug cartels.

If you haven't already, get yourself Otherland series by Tad Williams. Best reading I've had in like 10 years or more.

Almost through with Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen #5). Very different from the previous 4 books and there's only one or two familiar characters from those, but it was still very enjoyable. More personal, this time. I'm hoping the story gets back to the Bridgeburners soon, though, as those were my favorites (Quick Ben, etc.). But being the completist that I am, I'm probably going to give Esslemonts Night of Knives a shot first.

Before that, however, I need a change of scenery. Might go back to Brandon Sanderson, I still haven't read his The Way of Kings. Or something else entirely … we will see.

If you haven't already, get yourself Otherland series by Tad Williams. Best reading I've had in like 10 years or more.
I heard about that and it is on my reading list somewhere, among some 100 other books. Can you give more info on it, like what you enjoyed so much?

Ah Malazan! I restarted the Malazan series after walking away from it a few years ago. I quickly realized there were way too many character to resume book 6. I'm about half way through Gardens of the Moon and I'm enjoying this more than the first time I think. I wasn't sure I would tolerate a re-read but so far I'm very into it. Maybe because I just finished Diablo 3? That reminded me of Malaz!

I abandoned the Malazan series after about book 6 (?) - I started reading one of the later book and just ran out of steam. I loved the complexity and richness of the first few but he kept on adding new story arcs and complicating ones that already existed.

I';m back to Iain Banks - Hydrogen Sonata… although to be honest I've found his last few books somewhat formulaic. Just finished one of Alistair Reynold's books - Blue Remembered Earth. I love his stuff in general, this started off slowly but developed nicely. I've just been on bookdepository.com ordering some news stuff - cheaper shipping than Amazon for us people at the ends of the earth ;-)

Back
Top Bottom