PS3 or Blu-Ray-Player ??

Lannister

Watchdog
Hello.....

Due to my DVD-Player being broken, I was thinking about buying another one and in order to be ready for the future I thought about buying a Blu-Ray-Player......

However I read that the PS3 has a very good blu-ray-player included... and you can also use it to surf the internet.... My wife and I will buy a new HD-compatible TV in the next weeks so I`m kind of unsure if it won`t be better to buy a PS3 Slim instead of a blu-ray-Player because the difference is only about 100 Euros....... However I read that although the new slim PS3 is more silent it is supposed to be still very loud due to the need for cooling the processor.....
However I am also positive about incresasing my capabilities about nice games I could not play before (i am/was an avid PC Guy...)

Cany anyone give me any recommendations or their input ??? Is the PS3 really that loud ?? What are your experiences with using it for the net ??

Thanks in advance,
L.

My cousin, who is both a gamer and a movie-maniac, has a first gen PS3. It's not loud at all, and the next gen is even more silent. Compared to an XBox 360 even the first gen PS3 is silent. Sony designed a much more solid piece of hardware.

He says there's absolutely no need for an external Blu-Ray player if you have a PS3. That thing is very good and even plays many additional formats. Even the format of his Humax DVB-S2 receiver. He has been using the PS3 every day for years, and he would have replaced it a long time ago if he thought there was something better in the low to mid price market.

So I think you only have something to think about if you are not interested in the PS3 for gaming. In that case one of the typical Blu-Ray bundle deals might be an idea, for example a cheap Samsung player plus 10 disks (most of them good to decent) for 150 EUR. Compared to such a player the PS3 is better though, and stand-alone players are usually also pretty loud.

The gaming aspect is the absolute decision maker - if you want some added gaming, get the PS3. Oh, and the added cost. Personally I could get a decent Blu-Ray played for <50% the cost of the PS3 ...

Also remember there is NO PS2 compatibility on any PS3 currently made. That was a PR stunt in the first run that was quickly removed because Sony hates their customers ;)

I would have bought a PS3 if it had backwards compitability.... but since it doesn't..... screw sony......

Anyway it is a no brainer to buy a ps3 instead of a blue-ray player even if you are not playing games. You can play all formats of music / video and streaming on your PS3, rent movies/tv-shows online, stream to and from other media in your home...... install linux and run it on your TV........... etc etc.

:: pats his 1st-gen 60 gig ps3::

Ol' Faithful here has served me well. i know you can still get refurbed 1st-gen ps3s here in the states, dunno if that holds true in Yurop, though.

Plug your PS3 through wireless or cabled network and you can stream music/videos/youtube from your PC using PS3 Media Server. My PS3 have been collecting dust for a long time but this finally put it to proper use.

Theres a very nice collection of exclusive games on ps3. The first game I bought for it was valkyrie chronicles but now I have like 10 more. Lots of good ones are coming just next spring including hyped up heavy rain and Yakuza 3 jrpg.

Yakuza series is not very known in west (lack of advertisement) but in Japan its one of the bestselling game series ever. I think it has 4-5 games total so far in the series and movie is coming too. The game is like the hungarian "Mafia"-game combined with rpg elements including character progression, equipment and inventory.

Back
Top Bottom