NWN2 Finished MotB...

Neverwinter Nights 2

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO
...and I get the feeling that there's a whole bunch of stuff that I didn't uncover. Don't feel like going for another play-through just now, though. Don't mind being spoiled, either, if someone has the answers. Don't read unless you've finished it too:

(1) Anything interesting happen if I follow Rammaq's advice and get his Tomes for him?
(2) What's with the mask fragments? I never came across a proper explanation (or use) for them.
(3) What can I use Myrkul's essence for? I tried Fingerbone's Whatsit and Reaper's Thingy from his Vault, no dice.
(4) Do you feel that ending up sitting on a wall with a (somewhat cute) Red Wizard for the rest of eternity constitutes a satisfying ending?

All in all I liked it, better than the OC. Along with HotU it's probably my favorite D&D cRPG.

1) Don't know, never tried either.
2) The mask fragments are used for two of the endings. They represents parts of his soul, and are completed as he is finally laid to rest.
3) I assume it's used for crafting an artifact. Never made one though.
4) That is just one of four endings. The other endings are more satisfying in my opinion.

1) Don't know, never tried either.
2) The mask fragments are used for two of the endings. They represents parts of his soul, and are completed as he is finally laid to rest.
3) I assume it's used for crafting an artifact. Never made one though.
4) That is just one of four endings. The other endings are more satisfying in my opinion.

I got another of the endings by choosing differently after the final battle. It seemed bugged.

Safiya went back to the Academy to try to find a way to undo the curse; I set out to have more adventures with Gann, and eventually I ended up in West Harbor where... I married Safiya. WTF???

Go ahead and spoil me. What are the other two?

1) Didn't try it.
2) You need to find all three pieces, and their use become apparent somewhere in Kelemvor's city IIRC.
3) You need the malleate spirit feat and the Broken Scythe Blade from the vault, that I don't think anyone has actually found, to create Myrkul's Wrath (+10, keen, massive criticals [2d12], 5d6 negative energy damage, -12 AC to wielder, on hit: slay good [DC 26], on hit: wounding [DC 24], cast Gate once per day, immunity to death magic)
4) As has been mentioned, that's just one of four endings, I married the red wizard in question in West Harbour with Khelgar attending.

My Ending:

Akachi's soul is restored.

Traveling through the planes with Safiya and Okku.

I go back to my father in West Harbor, meet Khelgar again, go back to Crossroad Keep as hero.

Safiya goes back to the academy.

Okku goes back to his grave, fighting for his country when needed.

Kaelyn the Dove continues the the second war and fails by Rammaq's betrayal.

That is the good ending as far as I know. A semi-good ending/neutral one is to slay Akachi near the same ending, meaning he won't get eternal rest.

Finally there's another neutral ending, and the evil ending.

@HiddenX: Cool! How did you manage to do the first thing in your spoiler? I only got the choice to

...kick out Akachi from my soul, which caused the Spirit Eater to ravage Rashemen once more, or bind him into my soul, which left me sitting on the wall. Did I miss something? Trying Eternal Rest on him or something like that? I was playing as goody-goody as they make 'em.

@Prime Junta:

you have to retrieve all 3 mask pieces

1: boy -> drink from water (Okku Clan)
2: red woman -> rest under a big stone (The 2 old witches)
3: wall -> meeting with Bishop at the wall

I stayed in the City of the Dead with Safiya for eternity. That made me shed a happy tear. I seem to be in the monority, but I thought the Safiya romance was really well done. It was subtle, understated; but it was clearly there. A lot of people seem to have missed th whole thing and found themselves mystified at the end when she declares her love for the PC. I really liked it, and I really liked her. I'm actually a bit jealous of my PC :S

I shed another tear, this time a tear of sadness, when I had to tell Kaelyn about what was happening. Eternity with my beloved Red Wizard is a joy, but not being able to fullful my pledge to take down the wall is a misery. The Wall has always been something I hated. Back in 2E alignment determined where you went after you died. It seemed very unfair in 3E that no matter how Good you are, if you're faithless you go to The Wall. The Gods seem to think that belief in them is more important than being virtuous. The Wall is clearly an Evil thing. I really don't see how any of the Good Gods can possibly suffer such a thing to exist. Their apparent support for it, or tolleration- unwillingness to help destroy it can only be motivated by selfishness. What's more important, doing Good, or helping the Gods to continue existing? Regardless, it's Evil, I mean objectively Evil, according to D&D cosmology, to send even an innocent soul to The Wall, let alone a Good one.

I was really hoping to be able to destroy The Wall. The game seemed to be telling me that that was where I was heading. I guess I get it that if Kelemvor says I can't, then there's not much I can do. Still, I wish the conversation had at least been a bit longer and move involved. Maybe if I get to that point with some insanely high conversation skills I can convince him. Maybe not. Make it a non-cannon ending if you want, but I would have enjoyed the end a lot more if I could have destroyed that abomination of a wall.

I'm trying to replay as evil, but I don't like One of Many so far. Also just don't like being evil, lol.

Yes, it's the Mask fragments that allow the good/happy ending.
You can then end the curse, regain your soul, and you continue on your adventures.

I did side against the city and as Kelemar talked to me after ending the curse, what I did here and some of the city I destroied would have the eyes of certain gods on me.
So I do wonder if I would have sided with the city, how things would have been different, I kept a save before that but I just finished and not in the mood atm.

I didn't allow the Rammaq the Lich to get the books and he attacked me and gave me a helm that protected 75% against Negative energy which is what Acichi uses in the last battle. ;)

Yes, seems no one on the net has found the broken Scythe yet, to use Myrkils essence on.

I really liked the game but missed the humor, from the first game but at least the ending was good this time.

The only big thing they didn't solve is who was our father, I was called an abonination by the Hags I think, even though I was Human, it could have been a bug

I don't like evil either and never play as such, hell I really wish developers would spend more time making the story better than making an evil story line too in a game, such a small percent play as evil, it doesn't seem worth the time.

I don't like evil either and never play as such, hell I really wish developers would spend more time making the story better than making an evil story line too in a game, such a small percent play as evil, it doesn't seem worth the time.

But if you don't have the possibility to choose evil, what meaning does choosing good have? Nothing, IMO. The very essence of role-playing is choices with consequences; remove that, and you're left with yet another linear interactive movie.

Well maybe I wasn't clear or just need more sleep, but it wasn't my intent to remove choices but the dedication of a storyline of evil, if that makes any sense. :)

Well maybe I wasn't clear or just need more sleep, but it wasn't my intent to remove choices but the dedication of a storyline of evil, if that makes any sense. :)

But without the storyline, where's the evil? You make a choice, it has consequences. Those consequences have to be written in the game somehow. A series of evil choices -> evil storyline. A series of good choices -> good storyline. What am I missing?

Crafting, playing and stuff...

I have finished MOB three time since now, and I'm playing with the human rogue, lawfull evil, initially. I'm trying to exprment with spirit eater nature since I've found it to be too difficult since now... with good and/or chaotic characters.

ADVICE:

1) Wherever You go, go with Gann! Of course if You play 1st or 2nd time... His advices are most helpfull, sometimes necessary. All other companions give advices that can be figured out, though it takes some time.

2) Don't be too strict to Your alignement, since You can gain some extras if You occasionally do an evil deed, nevereminding You're good and vice versa.

3) Explore everething and thoroughly. As while-loading advice says, save often and in different slots - try to go through situations differently, You'll be suprised! Amazing game... Almost "surreality".

QUESTIONS:

1) I'm curious wether anyone had performed any crafting with Okku's essence and any other more powerfull essence? Everybody's mentioning some special items, so I'm guessing would it be Bear Kings Axe? Considering Myrkul, neither did I found that special weapon... It's not in the Vault since I've opened examined every corner.

2) While creating characters I've noticed new advanced class Shadow Thief of Ahm - I'm wondering it's somehow connected with the mission considering tieves on the beach of the Shadow of the Musaltir? Or not? I'm trying withe rogue right now in order to ind out but I'm little tired (I've spent more than 70 hours of gameplay) so I'd apreciate if someone just tell me... :)

3) Did anyone discover how to disclose the farmer in the Wells of Larue? How does he keep him safe?

4) Where is the Sleeper - I accepted to slay her when I find her after dreamscape with Gann into her dream, but I'm unable to track her when I get out dream?

5) What is the use or purpouse of the boy in Imaskari Ruins (Slumbering Coven). I've paid a ransom for him, he travels with me as long as I'm in the building, but then he flees. Alternativelly, he flees as soon as I meet the Coven... I've tried everything.... Even "enlarge person" spell, no luck. :)

...all. I'd really apreciate if anyone answer me, since I'm having trouble sleeping and I just love this game...

Check out the walkthrough/FAQ on Gamebanshee -- the answers to all of your questions are there.

The Wall has always been something I hated. Back in 2E alignment determined where you went after you died. It seemed very unfair in 3E that no matter how Good you are, if you're faithless you go to The Wall. The Gods seem to think that belief in them is more important than being virtuous. The Wall is clearly an Evil thing. I really don't see how any of the Good Gods can possibly suffer such a thing to exist. Their apparent support for it, or tolleration- unwillingness to help destroy it can only be motivated by selfishness. What's more important, doing Good, or helping the Gods to continue existing? Regardless, it's Evil, I mean objectively Evil, according to D&D cosmology, to send even an innocent soul to The Wall, let alone a Good one.

I was really hoping to be able to destroy The Wall. The game seemed to be telling me that that was where I was heading. I guess I get it that if Kelemvor says I can't, then there's not much I can do. Still, I wish the conversation had at least been a bit longer and move involved. Maybe if I get to that point with some insanely high conversation skills I can convince him. Maybe not. Make it a non-cannon ending if you want, but I would have enjoyed the end a lot more if I could have destroyed that abomination of a wall.
I totally agree. I just finished the game a few minutes ago and I'm still furious that after building up a proper righteous rage against that unjust and utterly evil wall throughout the entire campaign, I get to do absolutely nothing about it. And just to rub my nose in it, I then get to see the only one ballsy enough to at least ATTEMPT to do something being brought down and silenced.

I'm sorry, that is just not good enough. Don't get me wrong, as usual the guys from Obsidian have made an engrossing story rich in detail ... but that ending is far worse than the original NWN2 ending. Throughout the entire campaign I got to roleplay my Chaotic Good fighter properly, but there is no way in either of the nine hells that he would have accepted just walking away from the city of (non)judgment to go about living happily ever after. Even if he'd been able to restrain himself from swinging at Kelemvor right then and there, he would without a shadow of a doubt be standing side by side with Kaylyn trying to launch another crusade.

Although my burning atheist conviction is prone to make me biased against anything that favors religion (Kratos is my hero :biggrin:), I can accept that tearing down the Wall of the Faithless may tear the construct of planes apart in the Forgotten Realms universe, and as such can not be allowed to happen in a game ... but as Badesumofu said: At least pretend like it was an option and give a proper reason for not being able to do it after all instead of just dismissing it as if it was nothing.

On the other hand, for once I actually feel like I want to play evil because if that ending was good, then evil can't be much worse ...

Last edited:
That was a major let-down for me too. It would take "epic" to a whole new level, though, and it would break canon in a big way, so in a "metagame" way the decision makes sense. But from a narrative satisfaction POV it was a big letdown. At the very least there should have been a way to fail gloriously in the attempt, rather than getting the "nice try, now be a good boy/girl and go play with your toys" resolution.

Back
Top Bottom