KotOR 3 - EA Clarifies Development Rumors

magerette

Hedgewitch
ShackNews posts a statement from EA concerning the status of a KotOR 3 project which seems to indicate a sequel to Bioware's and Obsidian's Knights of the Old Republic series is not actually in development at this time, though the language is fairly non-committal and leaves the door at least partially open:

Addressing the alleged sequels to BioWare's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Criterion's Black, publisher Electronic Arts has clarified that such products are not necessarily under development at this time.

Reports of the titles emerged yesterday, after a slide... presented to analysts by EA CEO John Riccitiello suggested that future KOTOR and Black projects were underway at the EA-owned studios.

"The slide in John's presentation is titled 'Best Creative Talent'--it addresses future and past titles," EA told Shacknews. "KOTOR, Black, Boogie, Skate and some other titles on the slide speak to past portfolio releases and the pedigree of the studio but do not specifically address future sequels."

Outside of the slide, Riccitiello did not mention KOTOR or Black, though it was implied that the listed properties denoted new or upcoming releases. Many of the other properties in the slide, including Skate, were revealed to be receiving future iterations in a later presentation.

"The [previously announced] MMO in development at BioWare Austin is listed a 'New MMO,'" EA's statement continued in an attempt to prevent future misunderstandings. "We apologize for any confusion this may have caused."
More information.

Last edited:
EA clarifies rumours?

Didn't sound anything like a clarification to me... no firm denial, no firm confirmation.... no nothing.

Yep--I did change the thread title on the newspage as I agree completely--nothing at all seems clarified by these remarks, except they are trying to keep a lid on things. My guess is that they have a sequel planned, but it's not at the point where they are ready to talk about it.

Well, come to think of it, it surely seemed rather unlikely that Bioware is working on so many titles at the same time! Mass Effect downloadable content, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect PC, Sonique RPG, 'new MMO', Dragon Age, Jade Empire 2(?)...I mean even when divided into teams, there is only so much they can work on...

It's Indiana Jones rpg for sure!

I kinda hope not. Those old Indiana Jones adventures were awesome; I'd like to see something like a spiritual sequel to them. I mean, Indy is such a strong role that there's not a whole lot of room for character development there -- and the movies never were about agonizing over ethical choices, currying favor with a faction, or even picking a side. There were the Bad Guys, the Good Guys, the Objective, lots of Puzzles, and some Fightin', Shootin', and Lovin'. Great action-adventure material, but not a whole lot of RPG fare there.

Hasn't there been an pnp Indy rpg out since the dawn of time? Can't see it being hard to make an rpg out of his universe really. Something like Call of Cthulhu perhaps?

I kinda hope not. Those old Indiana Jones adventures were awesome; I'd like to see something like a spiritual sequel to them. I mean, Indy is such a strong role that there's not a whole lot of room for character development there -- and the movies never were about agonizing over ethical choices, currying favor with a faction, or even picking a side. There were the Bad Guys, the Good Guys, the Objective, lots of Puzzles, and some Fightin', Shootin', and Lovin'. Great action-adventure material, but not a whole lot of RPG fare there.

I agree, Indy isn't about playing different kind of roles, which rpgs are all about. Indy is INDY. He can't be anything else. :)

I was only joking.

More doubletalk from EA. This is exactly why I hope that European developers take over PC gaming. It was surprising and a refreshing change of pace to actually hear honest answers from CdProjekt about The Witcher. They even talked about their long term goals concerning Witcher, but head on back to the states and you get the usual statements to the press that say absolutely nothing. I think that the corps in America are too much like politicians.

I seriously don't understand why they didn't make a third a long time ago. Didn't KOTOR 1 and 2 make a profit?

Of course. But KotOR2 was cheap, a third one wouldn't have been that reasonably prized. ;)

Of course. But KotOR2 was cheap, a third one wouldn't have been that reasonably prized. ;)

Makes sense :) I just wish they would make the dang thang already.

The problem with PC games is that you come to love a particular game and what do the publishers do after they create a fan base, they shelve the world you love. I feel like Oliver Twist when asking for more food "Please sir, may I have some more?" The publishers then smack you down and send you to the basement.

I guess the days of Ultima, Wizardry and Might and Magic are over. There you had a decade to play the world they created. Now you have one or maybe two years then that's it.

Edit: I was wrong about no publisher doing more than a few games for a particular game world at a time. I forgot about two that are still going. Beth's Elder Scrolls and Jeff Vogul's games. I forgot about Beth because I hate their games but my opinion aside they still have stuck with their world for a very long time and Jeff's games are just great, I didn't think about indies when I made that statement. So here's hoping indies like Avernum and Eschalon keep going strong, then I don't have to care if KOTOR 3 is made or not :biggrin:

Last edited:
Or the sequel appears on console after the forst game appeared on PC, maybe.

What I personally find even worst is when the game's setting is "twisted" in a way so that all you loved is gone - just for a new game.

Dez wants kotor 3! Dez wants kotor 3! Dez wants kotor 3!*stomps his foot on the floor in constant motion and then jumps on the floor crying*

what gives really? it can't be that hard. Fan-base is there, press was kind to previous games and heck it sold fairly good and above all its star wars. oh well looks like I have to do an other kotor rerun to ease the pain since k3 is not coming anytime soon :)

Back
Top Bottom