Legend of Grimrock 2 - Meet the Team

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Almost Human has a new post introducing us to one of the team members named Jyri Ullakko.

Alright, this has been a long time coming… I’ve worked at AH for about a year now and haven’t written anything to the blog! Naturally I should introduce myself before I start blabbing about other things so the guys threw me some interview type questions and I went on to answer them.

Please introduce yourself!

Hello everyone! My name is Jyri Ullakko and I’m an artist here at Almost Human. I’ve previously worked on games like Trine 2, Shattered Horizon, and on some mobile games back in the day when I was at Fathammer. I’ve also spent a number of years working at Fake graphics creating graphics for advertisements.

How did you end up at Almost Human?

Well, I knew all of the AH guys before I joined the team. Most of us had worked together at one point or another. I’ve known Antti longest as we met in highschool and then after that worked together at Fathammer. Juho & Olli I met at Futuremark. After Grimrock’s success the guys started thinking about adding some muscle to the art ’department’ and pretty soon I got a message from Antti asking if I wanted to join their little operation. I pretty much pounced at the opportunity as it’s not everyday you get to work in a small successful company with a bunch of your friends on an interesting project where you really get to contribute! … also I felt it was quite the honor that these guys wanted me in their gang as they are one of the most talented people I know!

What is your role at Almost Human?

Juho and I are responsible for creating the graphics for our games. We create the walls, floors, vegetation and whatnot that Antti then uses to build the environments. Then there’s the occasional monster I get to do and sometimes I tinker with creating items for our game… but everyone at AH sometimes do things outside their main focus. (Like writing up blog posts!) I like to take part in game design when I can or atleast listen in on Antti & Petri to find out what cool stuff they are coming up with. It’s nice to have some variety and not get pigeonholed into working on some narrow bit of the game. Ofcourse this also means that sometimes we have to do stuff that might not be as fun as bringing to life some weird fantasy creature but hey, that’s a small price to pay for the creative freedom we have!

More information.

Just can't get too excited about this unless they improve the twitchy mouse combat (and make it playable for lefties) and make it more strategic, give the characters more personality, reduce the constant puzzles, make it less linear, better story and atmosphere…

They'd really have to mess this up for me not to buy it on the very first day. The first one was darn near perfect, and the highlight of '12 for me. GOTY and nothing else was even close.

-Carn

I'm not too exited myself. I enjoyed Grimrock, but it filled my need for that particular style of RPG for a while - I'm just not interested in more of the same right now.

Definitely a day 1 purchase for me. My only complaint about Grimrock was having just three classes to choose from. Hopefully they expand upon that in Grimrock 2.

There was a fourth class, too. So to speak. :D

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the second part. Hope the outside environments will work out nicely.

Back
Top Bottom