GameSpy - Site To Be Shut Down

So is this just the gamespy news site, or the whole gamespy service / system? I haven't used them in ages since I largely withdrew from online gaming, but I assume a lot of older games still rely on the server matching service?

The Gamespy match making service has been sold some time ago ti some other company. See several "servers for game XXX are down" newsbits over the last months.

Pretty sure that software you're talking about died years ago. Doesn't look like it's received an update in over 6 years, and the download links on the official site don't even work anymore: http://www.gamespyarcade.com/

Actually, the original Borderlands and Hunted: Demon's Forge used "powered by Gamespy" for online play:

http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/

That gamespy arcade thing is yet another thing.

Either way Glu (new owners of the service, not the website) have been dropping support for games.

The Neverwinter Nights vault is under IGN, so I think that should be staying up. I'm not sure if the Neverwinter Nexus is impacted.

Nexus is not a part of the Gamespy/UGO/1up/IGN family. It was started by a fan of Oblivion mods and grew to includes lots of other games over time.

Planetelderscrolls was a part of Gamespy, but it seems to have been moved to IGN now. So probably safe.

"We are focusing on our two flagship brands, IGN and AskMen.

Oh, the irony ! : I've never ever heard of "AskMen" before ! - Until this article, that is.
So - in short : To me, this ain't no "flagship brand". It's just ... something that no-one needs to know about. ;)

Oh, the irony ! : I've never ever heard of "AskMen" before ! - Until this article, that is.
So - in short : To me, this ain't no "flagship brand". It's just … something that no-one needs to know about. ;)

AskMen is a search engine and it also surprise answers questions. I used it twice a few years ago. Never caught on really no surprise with Google and Bing.

Last edited:
Yeah, Gamespy was great back in the day but I only go there now when linked to old reviews for games.

Dan Stapleton is a very familiar name, though. I wouldn't mind seeing him pop back over to PC Gamer.

I remember 1UP being quite nice back in the day. I can't say exactly why, but it was somehow "friendlier" than other gaming sites (not that there were that many at the time). Its first death was with its acquisition by IGN. This is really just signing the official death certificate.

Back
Top Bottom