What games are you playing now?

Finished IWD II the other day, and jumped right into Drakensang today. It's fun so far, still in the first town with the amazon and rogue, I'm really liking the look of the game....and I hear the sequel is even better!

-Carn

Unfortunately, there'll be lots of "dungeon crawling" towards the end.
The second game doesn't have that much "dungeon crawling".

Carnifex said:
Finished IWD II the other day, and jumped right into Drakensang today. It's fun so far, still in the first town with the amazon and rogue, I'm really liking the look of the game….and I hear the sequel is even better!

Ooh, ditto. What class did you pick Carn (or are you saying you picked either amazon or rogue?)

I'm still umming and ahhing at the character screen, like I always do. Thinking a fighter type class, warrior, elven fighter or pirate maybe. I'm unfamiliar with the rule set so was going to start with a hopefully simple class.

I need to give Drakensang another go. The camera turned me off last time, when I was in a particularly hard to please mood.

…and I hear the sequel is even better!
Well, don't want to spoil your enthusiasm but for me it never was as I never could really get into it, despite going through and finishing The dark eye with great pleasure. Don't know why as they're almost visually identical and there are actually many improvements gameplay wise. Never really enjoyed how the adventure begins in River of time compared to The dark eye early moments, for example. If you can get into it though, I'm sure you'll have a blast as it's really a well polished game (it already was from the start !). And if you appreciate that kind of gameplay (what role player wouldn't !) don't forget you can extend the pleasure with the first three gems sold on GoG under the title Realms of Arkania ! They're older but deeper…

I went with the warrior fellow, fiddled around with some stats even though I don't really know what I'm doing, and am now good to go. Onward, Osgar of Darkstone and your terrible bowl haircut.

stuck in the classic zone, playing Aliens3 for the SNES.

It's kinda refreshing to grab a controller and play these old non-committal side scroller titles once and awhile

And if you appreciate that kind of gameplay (what role player wouldn't !) don't forget you can extend the pleasure with the first three gems sold on GoG under the title Realms of Arkania ! They're older but deeper…

I restarted the German version of Startrail a week or two ago ...

Finally have some time for gaming this week, and I've started playing Mars: War Logs again.

It's a decent game so far, but nothing very memorable. It's also pretty unforgiving on Hard difficulty. I enjoy the challenge, but I've found some areas to be somewhat frustrating, and I'm disappointed by how quickly certain enemies respawn.

Finally have some time for gaming this week, and I've started playing Mars: War Logs again.

It's a decent game so far, but nothing very memorable. It's also pretty unforgiving on Hard difficulty. I enjoy the challenge, but I've found some areas to be somewhat frustrating, and I'm disappointed by how quickly certain enemies respawn.

I guess you are in the POW camp. Don't go looking for fights - avoid fights, upgrade your uniform first, find a decent weapon and upgrade it, explore for loot, learn to make explosives ;), invest in warrior skills to increase your health, melee damage and parrying, invest in few stealth skill in the renegade tree, craft health injections.

Also do parry and dodge alot, the damage you cause after a good dodge ofter result in a critical hit (you can see that, time slows down).

Brilliant game, on my second playthrough and enjoying it more than the first run.

Jumped into Van Helsing, at it's face not a game that would really be up my alley, but it's oddly entertaining. For the price, I've gotten my money's worth, so far at least.

-Carn

I've finally gotten around to playing Avernum. It's a fun, old school RPG of the best sort. Lots of detail, good customisation, turn based strategic combat, and free exploration.

avoid fights, upgrade your uniform first, find a decent weapon and upgrade it, explore for loot, learn to make explosives ;), invest in warrior skills to increase your health, melee damage and parrying, invest in few stealth skill in the renegade tree, craft health injections.

How do I make explosives? I've unlocked the Expert handiwork skill, but I still don't see the option to craft anything besides health packs and ammo for the nail gun.

How do I make explosives? I've unlocked the Expert handiwork skill, but I still don't see the option to craft anything besides health packs and ammo for the nail gun.

That is the reason for the ;): Do a quest for Prowes and he will teach you how to make explosives (hand grenades and traps) - I think that he will be in the Crater area after a certain event with a mutant; just look him up in the map when you are in the Crater.

However, you need to be careful, during the mutant incident you may decide to kick his *** as part of this encounter which might prevent him from helping you later (choices and consequences). I did not get this crafting option in my first playthrough as I made a certain decision in the mutant encounter.

Ah.. ok. I've completed everything in the POW camp except for getting water supplies from the Cistern. I'm having trouble getting past some of the rooms populated by moles, and some explosives would be handy.

Well, with GoG finally getting Wizardry 6, 7, and 8, I have dropped Avernum for Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge. After being rudely reminded just how unforgiving the old Wizardries are (it's been long enough that I remember nothing of wiz6), I've finally got a party able to survive more than one battle.

A few hours in, I've hit level 4 on all of my characters, have some better gear on at least my Valkyrie, and have demonstrated that Knock knock is as useful as congress. Seriously, I drained all my mage's earth spell power on one casting, on a door in the first level, and with a 53 Thaumaturgy. It still failed. Oh, and Trebor sucks.

And I'm loving it. About the only thing is I am cheating a bit and using a predrawn map. I'm simply not going through the annoyance of drawing out everything again. Of course, I do still have my old maps, so I did draw them, but still it is a bit cheating.

I really want to dig back into those, but have a beta and a couple of reviews on the Mac and am traveling this week ... Maybe next week!

Back
Top Bottom