Wing Commander Saga: Darkest Dawn 3-22-12

Wow! I had no idea this was even being worked on. Looks great.

Perfect timing too. My wife is having a girls night out tonight, so once I get the baby down around 7:30, I'll have several hours of blissful game time!

I never played any of the Wing Commander games, but this looks pretty good.

So is Wing Commander no longer trademarked?

It is, but this is a free fan-made game. EA hasn't blessed it, but they haven't shut it down either.

One thing about these things that always make my head scratch is - obviously these people put a massive amount of work into this game. Why not harness that towards your own IP and make some profit off of it?

Maybe that's just the evil banker in me. :devil:

1. You're a fan and want to do something about it.
2. You can use existing resources without issue.
3. You want to use the name for recognition.
4. You might not care about profit all that much.

1. You're a fan and want to do something about it.
2. You can use existing resources without issue.
3. You want to use the name for recognition.
4. You might not care about profit all that much.

1 I get
2 I get, but it doesn't seem like they used much existing resources in this (outside of names and lore)
3) That make sense
4) I'm a banker. This does not compute :)

2 I get, but it doesn't seem like they used much existing resources in this (outside of names and lore)

Based on screenshots, they've used almost the exact same models for ships and stuff. They most likely didn't have access to source files - but at least they didn't have to come up with original designs for anything - which should be quite helpful. I'm sure there's more in there, as well.

4) I'm a banker. This does not compute :)

If you really cared, you wouldn't be a banker - but head of the bank ;)

Based on screenshots, they've used almost the exact same models for ships and stuff. They most likely didn't have access to source files - but at least they didn't have to come up with original designs for anything - which should be quite helpful. I'm sure there's more in there, as well.

Been so long since I've played, not surprised I don't recognize anything.

If you really cared, you wouldn't be a banker - but head of the bank ;)

Give it time.... Give it time....

My god, wing commander and Ultima go hand in hand for some of the best earlier games for PC.

How could you have never played them?

I'm glad this is the first I've heard about it. I'm sick of getting interested in games and literally waiting YEARS for them. Here's one that's out right now!

WC three and four are some of my fondest memories from my early gaming days.

I downloaded it. Didn't have time to install or play yet. :)

Would love to hear your (or from anyone here) impressions on it, once you got some time with it. The download is pretty hefty (3.4GB) and the two sites I tried downloading from gave abysmally poor download rates. So I decided to try some other time, once I've heard it's actually worth the effort. I remember some pretty big fan-made Freespace 2 mod from years ago which was quite abysmal (playability-wise), so that's why I'm asking.

Gamershell has a torrent file that has a very nice seed to leacher ratio. I'm going to try that.

EDIT:

Wow, just started it and already at about 1.5Mbps on the download!

I'm glad this is the first I've heard about it. I'm sick of getting interested in games and literally waiting YEARS for them. Here's one that's out right now!

WC three and four are some of my fondest memories from my early gaming days.

I bought a two-piece joystick with throttle handle and about 30 programmable buttons for wing commander series.

Damn I was good! ;-)

And privateer 2...

Oh the memories..

on my first PC

C

torrent is definitely the way to go. Already done!

Back
Top Bottom