What MMORPG should I play?

Did a big 'Againt the Giants' fellowship tonight with some Aussies. Tons of fun. 4:30pm for them, 2am for me ha ha. I won't be laughing in a few hours though...

Wait… You are having problems installing LOTRO on your new Sager? What OS?

Windows 7 Professional

It's saying the file client_sound.dat is corrupt.

It seems other people have had this problem and the only fix they found is to have someone who has the game send them their client_sound.dat file.

Drithius, appreciate the effort man. I will grab that torrent now. Hopefully this works.

Well, for some reason my Bit Torrent client is going slow, so it's taking forever to get this file. It's 76% done, so hopefully sometime later today I should be up and playing. Hopefully...

Got the file, now I ran into the next problem. The "update game data" is moving incredibly slow. It says it's download the data at 2kb/s. 2!!! Unbelievable. I don't know what is wrong, but at this rate it will take forever to download all this at that speed. It's already been going for a half hour and is still at 0%. Any ideas?

That isn't right at all. You should be at 400-1000kbs. Are you blocking ports? You mentioned slow torrent as well.

Yes, try DDO instead!! :)

I will give DDO a shot at some point, if I don't get hooked by LOTRO.

Todd, I don't think I'm blocking ports. The torrent was slow on my other laptop that had no virus protection installed (I bought Norton last night for my new laptop + installed it on my older one as well). I also set LOTRO to be an exception from Norton's protection. So I have no idea what's wrong. I posted on a tech support forum so hopefully they can help me.

The speed has jumped to an average of 40 kb/s, though, which is better, but it was at 100+, but only for a short period of time (maybe 10 minutes). At least it's not at 2 anymore :).

Hurry up and wait I guess! It takes hours to install fresh on a good day. How do you like the Sager?

Only 2000 more files to download and I'll be in the game :D.

I actually got an Alienware, not a Sager. Got an M17X R4 used off Ebay. It was only used 6 times in the past year and is like-new. Only issue is the warranty ends in June, so I have to hope nothing bad happens. Loving this laptop though. It's incredible. When I first booted up cold to desktop in about 10 seconds flat, I knew I would fall in love with it. Easily one of the nicest pieces of technology I've ever owned.

Just played a few hours last night. Love the look of the game. Just getting used to it but it seems like a really cool game so far.

Question, if an item is red at a merchant, does that mean I can't use it at all? I'm looking at a shield and it says armor 5 and all that stuff, but the word Shield is in red. I rolled a hunter but would like a shield over dual wielding.

Must be a class restriction. I know you can dual wield melee but I've never noticed shield skills for the hunter. Without specific skills it is sort of pointless to equip. For example my guard has shield swipe, bash and legendary slam, which do specific damage and stun. However, my one bow skill 'let it fly' has a cool down that precludes switching targets and has no variation, so it marginally softens the target and really is about pulling the target. My suggestion is to look at the full skill tree online to envision your skill path. You won't be bored with the hunter, there is lots to do during combat to say the least and melee is pretty potent as well. I would imagine that an agility based build discourages shields but again look at the build path. I only want items that promote active skills such as shield bash, passive stat bonuses are boring! are you in Archet? Are you on Vilya?

Made it to level 5 so far on the Vilya server. Still in Archet but about to do a quest that sends me to Combe I think it is? Already had a hobbit slap me repeatedly for not wanting to fellowship with him. Silly little hobbitses.

Planning on Bree or the Shire? Both are great areas but the Shire is pretty special. Ping and friend Calindorr my lvl 49 Guard when you get a chance. I have a 38 Champ that could use a dusting off for Fellowship when you get up there. IMO the best fellowships are 3 man, always a challenge and hence rewarding. My brother is always up for it and has toons at pretty much every level (he's a bit addicted :))

Nice. The Shire sounds interesting. I'm just going wherever the game leads me so far. Just finished my first instance in Archet so I'm gonna stick around and do all the quests I can.

Game is giving me more problems, though. Every time I go through a door the game crashes. The first time it happened it said something about Directx 11, the other times it didn't give me any explanation at all.

Have you considered whiping that pc? LOTRO has had network issues iike any MMO but it has never crashed on a bug for me after.... Geez hundred and hundreds of hour across multiple machines.

DDO (also a Turbine game) had/has issues with DX 10, so we run it in DX9 mode. Therefore, I suspect your DX 11 could be the problem. Check in Options whether the game can change your default DX.

Back
Top Bottom