Elder Scrolls Online - Bringing the Scrolls to MMO

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
One thing's for sure - they are spending a huge amount of money making this game. Looks like it will be a blast levelling a character up to level 50, at least. But, after that what is going to keep people playing? There's only so much content you can put in a game and then it just has to devolve into some kind of grind. I haven't seen any indication that ESO has a solution to this little difficulty. Maybe they might learn from GW2 not to make levelling so frenetic to at least spin the content out a bit longer.

I don't like the multiplayer aspects of GW2 that much, especially 4 man dungeons, don't see that will be any better in ESO; sounds much the same in that respect.

So is there anything aside from combat ?
Not in video format. A few articles go into detail about the quests, and the story. I posted a few in the last two weeks.

He does talk about the choices and consequences in the game though where npcs and areas in the game can change based on the choices you make in the game. If it is as good as it sounds it could be better then any of the other Elderscrolls games in that aspect.

Is there any info on the payment model yet? I heard some rumors from a beta player that the game would be based on micro transactions already from the start, and practically everything would cost something. I hope that's not the case - I still prefer all-inclusive subscriptions.

One thing's for sure - they are spending a huge amount of money making this game. Looks like it will be a blast levelling a character up to level 50, at least. But, after that what is going to keep people playing?

The same thing that keep people playing in other MMOs. Some people are still playing MMO released 14 years ago you know.

Anyhow, ESO have:
  • AvA (Alliance vs Alliance)
  • Maxing all skill lines (which is independent of your level and some have to be unlocked)
  • Doing dungeons
  • Completing all 3 factions content (through either alts or the 50+/50++ zones)
  • Crafting/Fishing (some people like doing this)
  • Adventure zones (once they add them)
  • Guilds content (I'm talking Mage/Fighter guilds here, Thieves/DarkBrotherhood is coming after launch)

I might be missing something and it doesn't mean you are interested in any of these things.

Is there any info on the payment model yet? I heard some rumors from a beta player that the game would be based on micro transactions already from the start, and practically everything would cost something. I hope that's not the case - I still prefer all-inclusive subscriptions.

No official information on this yet. Although, there is another video interview where someone ask a question about in-game store for vanity items and Sage answered "yes, but we will talk about this later". Although, the way he answered made it sound like a MMO needs to have one (and WoW do have a cash shop with vanity items so...)

On the other side, subscription based only is extremely doubtful with the current market trend. The only MMO releasing this year with it is going to be FFXIV re-release. Wildstar will have what a dev called an "hybrid" payment model (which probably mean freenium), everything else is F2P (with a cash shop).

Subscription-based is not likely for a major title like this - not today. At least, it will quickly change if they go that way.

The masses have decided that "no game" is worth paying a subscription for - no matter how good.

So, it would be pretty futile to go with that if you want to maximise impact - even if I personally prefer it.

Well, SW: TOR has both. I see no problem with that. I just want to be able to pay a subscription and not worry about buying access to this or that, adding extra character slots or whatever.

For me it's more about the hassle than the price.

Well, SW: TOR has both. I see no problem with that. I just want to be able to pay a subscription and not worry about buying access to this or that, adding extra character slots or whatever.

For me it's more about the hassle than the price.

I'm talking about pure subscription. Hybrids would seem to be viable in the financial sense.

One of my biggest takeaways from this is that he talks about he development of a lot of it in the past tense, as if it's done. So my question is, where's my beta invite sucka!?

I'm looking forward to checking this out but...

No clue why they even put PvP into an ES game when ES has always been about some of the sickest PvE ever. Not all players, including me, care about PvP in MMOs, since it's usually shallow, meaningless, pointless, too easily exploited, filled with too many undesireables, causes balance issues, etc.

When you consider how amazing PvE is done in the ES series, I would've loved to see them forgo PvP entirely and just stick with what they do amazingly.

I'm also pretty tired of MMOs being glorified single player games. If I want to play a single player game, I'd just play Skyrm, since hardly anything can touch that for single player amazing.

While I'd love to be able to play Skyrim with friends, I have no desire to see 1000 idiots named drizzt spamming chat with kindergarten intellect nonsense nonstop. The immersion of a game world is shattered when other players are running around being tools.

No clue why they even put PvP into an ES game when ES has always been about some of the sickest PvE ever. Not all players, including me, care about PvP in MMOs, since it's usually shallow, meaningless, pointless, too easily exploited, filled with too many undesireables, causes balance issues, etc.

PvP is cheap to make when you factor in the time players spend in it compared to the time it take to design the maps. On top of that, they originally designed ESO as a AvA centric game like 6 years ago when the MMO landscape was quite different and ES wasn't the success it is right now.

The shift to the ES players interest is a "recent one" (started after the big backlash on the game last year and Skyrim selling like hot cakes).

The main problems with making all content group based and not solo is the difficulty in getting into a decent group. This is one of the main reasons why I don't party in mmorpgs. The main reasons why I play mmorpgs are because of the size of the games, other social aspects like trading, and the variety of settings and gameplay that you don't get in single player games.

So is there anything aside from combat ?

There's the Main Storyline to enjoy and follow, Crafting, Exploring, Questing, Fishing, AvA/PvP Post lvl 50...book collecting ;)

Actually lots to do besides and addition to combat.

ESO is looking very promising. I agree though, if you can max lvl in a few days or a week, then where is the fun of building up a character? Give me EQ when it first came out and make it take months to get to lvl 50.

Back
Top Bottom