Obsidian Entertainment - Working on a "leading animation franchise"

Futurama would we awesome! Talk about an unending realm of possibilities since you don't have to worry about pesky rules like physics and logic!

I've always wanted a "Misadventures of Ed Grimley" action RPG...

;)

Anyone taking any bets on Kim Possible? :D

That Star Wars cartoon is good. Wouldn't mind playing something like that as long as it was on the PC. Also, The Tick might be interesting to play as a video game. No way it's The Tick though. Not popular enough.

Wasn't The Simpsons just cancelled? Maybe The Simpsons is going to become a video game series now. ;)

I'd like a game based on Avatar The Last Airbender, as we are all throwing names around.

The Tick might be interesting to play as a video game. No way it's The Tick though. Not popular enough.

Funny thing, The Tick also crossed my mind and think that a parody on superheroes would be a fun setting, if done well at least. But I agree that The Tick is not exactly a leading animation franchise so it is discarded.

I grew up with Turtles and Transformers, so they would both be interesting.

I also grew up with Transformers, which had a huge impact on my childhood. So I would gladly welcome a Transformer RPG. (Unless of course it it would be based on the Michael Bay garbage :().

Futurama would be nice as well but sincerely I don't know how you can make a good RPG out of that.

Hmm...an Ice Age adenture game? It's about as close to an Icewind title as I can get with all the evidence there is to go on. :D

Has there been a D20 Transformers oriented PnP game? If so, that idea is bizarrely interesting to me as well in a "checking to see my milk hasn't gone off" kind of way.

Ahh, this is all such a tease.

Breaking news at The Speculatorist:

Irvine, California

There have been many rumors spreading from the Obsidian headquarters about a new game based on a leading animation franchise and we here at The Speculatorist are going to speculate to the bottom of this. We have sent investigators all around the city of Irvine, asking the citizens what they think is going on inside the offices of the creators of such RPG hits as Top Fighter – To the Post Office and Back, Stop Senile Grandma From Murdering the Cat, and Netflix Envelop Sealer III.

Our sources have as yet only provided small clues as to what animation franchise Obsidian may be working on. A former classmate of Feargus Urguhart claims he was known for his obsession with both He-Man and the Masters of the Universe and Care Bears. This has not yet been verified, and probably won't be, because it's true. Could they be working on an RPG from one of these two franchises?

We asked an employee at a local comic book shop who said, “I totally think so! He-Man has so many opportunities for the choices-and-consequences that Obsidian is known for but Care Bears offers a lot of character customization with the limitless variety of Care Bear stares!”

One man who works for Obsidian gave us hints on the condition of anonymity. “It's not Avatar and it's not a Disney franchise. Those are the big two that I've seen on the internet. Idiots. What I can tell you is that the code name is Big Pink Bow on A Feline, or as we call it around the office BPBOAF.”

So with this information we can only speculate, which just happens to be our specialty. The experts in the offices here at The Speculatorist have made a list of the top five possibilities:
1. Thunder Cats (The feline reference in the code name is a big indicator)
2. GI Joe (Again, the feline reference)
3. Felix the Cat (Due to the pink bow reference)
4. Care Bears
5. He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

My money is still on Beavis and Butthead.

Nobody knows Care Bears and Thinder Cats here.
Felix The Cat - yes, but not bby tbe youth.
GI Joe - sounds reasonable, but no-one knows GI Joe here, too. To Germans, the sold action figures are nondescript, as far as I know. I don't even know whether GI Joe is here on TV at all - but a) I don't look children's programmes and b) it would be frowned upon by Germny's dislike of violence anyway.

The only thing I believe to be reasonable from my european/german point of View is He-Man (What a stupid name, by the way !). I don't know whether the youth knows this, but I do know that my generation very much knows it. There has even been a stir among Star Wars collectors because they recently released re-made "vintage"-style "He-Man" action figures.

So, all in all, my bet is on that he-man.

And can someone please explain to me what's "feline" within GI Joe ? And I must say that I don't remember anything in that direction for he-man, too ...

And last : For the NA sector, things might look entirely different.

Animation IP and Obsidian have close tie to publisher Sega and SquareEnix now, hmmm.

Sonic the hedgehog ? Could be fitting, after Bioware doing this "Dark Brotherhood" RPG ...

Hey now! Thunder Cats are awesome, Alrik. They had the most annoying sidekick EVAR!!!, but still loved the little guy when I was a kid. Also had odd dreams about Cheetara :)

Care Bears were ok, but they had nothing on the Thunder Cats.

THUNDER CATS, HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Come on. That's awesome :p

I have no idea what he is talking about with feline references in G.I. JOE. They had reptillian references with Snake Eyes and those guys who changed color, but no cats as far as I know. Cool jets and tanks.

Actually G.I. Joe wouldn't make for a bad game. I played the C64 one to death when I was younger. Hell, I might load her up just for nostalgia's sake.

If they're going retro then count me in. I wouldn't mind at all playing a game based in the world of one of my favorite cartoons growing up.

I kind of like the thundercats idea (the original series though… which is unlikely I suppose)
I always felt that their setting, which blended fantasy with science fiction, was pretty intriguing. Also I want to play Tygra!

If there was a vote though, I'd want Futurama.

Also had odd dreams about Cheetara :)
Back then I found that Cheetara had an uncanny resemblance to one of my grandmother's friends... To this day I simply can't find her sexy!

Futurama has all kinds of possibilities like someone mentioned earlier. That would be one I would buy as well. Even if it was an action game.

Still would prefer Ugly Americans. All those monsters. The possibilites for that one are endless as well, but I'm not sure how popular it is.

So G.I. Joe, Futurama, Ugly Americans, Thundercats and I wouldn't mind He-Man either.

Smurfs could also be a possibility. I think they are a huge hit right now on iOS. I've seen people gushing over that dang thing. I downloaded it and played it for about twenty minutes and then deleted it, but other people seem to like it.

"Ugly Americans" ? Never heard off them, either (just saw the Wikipedia page on them).
I guess there's quite a lot of stuff that would sell very well in the U.S. but not here ?

Ugly Americans is great. It's set in an alternate New York City were monsters of all types are part of society. You have wizards, demons, zombies, vampires, birdmen, etc. Pretty much anything the writers can steal from B movies or think up is in UA.

@JDR If they made it when I was 8 they would be a god, but now....not so much :)

Here's an idea: Inspector Gadget.
You control Inspector Gadget and you get to go to various missions. You get to choose new gadgets for him when he levels up, and you can even design your own unique gadgets! The catch is that they of course never work when you need them so every mission can only eventually be successfully completed by Penny and Brain who are controlled by the computer and keep saving you whenever you, unavoidably, mess up.

Back
Top Bottom