THQ dissolves Who Bought What

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Who’s getting what? Read bleow.

Company of Heroes and Warhammer 40,000 developer Relic Entertainment is going to Sega.

Saints Row developer Volition, Inc. and the Metro series are going to Koch Media (Deep Silver).

The Homefront franchise is going to Crytek.

THQ Montreal and the South Park license are going to Ubisoft.

Evolve, a game in development by Turtle Rock Studios (which worked on Left 4 Dead), is going to Take-Two Interactive.

THQ will “make every effort to find appropriate buyers” for its remaining assets, such as Darksiders developer Vigil Games.

Earlier there was news about the South Park license but it looks like it was resolved, or still might end up in legal trouble. Who knows.

As for me I like were some of the series and studios went but am worried about a few of them. I predicated Sega would get Relic so they have both Warhammer licenses now.

So whats your opinion and reaction on the sales?

Link-http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/24/thq-dissolves-auctions-off-properties-heres-who-got-what/

Last edited:
It also looks like Nordic games bought the majority that wasn't previously bought.
“A very important point for us is not to dash into several self-financed multi-million dollar projects right away, but rather to continue our in-depth analysis of all titles and carefully selecting different financing models for developing new instalments of acquired IPs.”

“In the long term, we either want to cooperate with the original creators or best possible developers in order to work on sequels or additional content for these titles.”

• Titan Quest
  • Darksiders
  • Red Faction
  • MX vs. ATV
  • Frontlines
  • Juiced
  • Stuntman
  • Destroy All Humans
  • Deadly Creatures
  • The Outfit
  • Summoner
  • Full Spectrum Warrior
  • Supreme Commander

Last edited:
Who was Gearbox again ?

hmm... the only title I'm somewhat interested is South Park.

Hmm, I guess the Titan Quest IP must be still of some value.

What was the game that splinter group of employees from the old Titan Quest team are making? I don't recall hearing from them for a while now.

Hmm, I guess the Titan Quest IP must be still of some value.

What was the game that splinter group of employees from the old Titan Quest team are making? I don't recall hearing from them for a while now.

Lead designer of TQ is making Grim dawn in same engine as TQ(they had kickstarter year ago which raised around 500k nearly double of initial goal).They post updates fairly regularly which are covered in news.

I'm still trying to comprehend the title of this thread. :)

Of the titles mentioned, the Metro series is the only one I have any significant interest in.

I loved Homeworld. I'm not exactly thrilled Gearbox got the license after what they did with Aliens.

That said, we can pray that didn't represent their standard approach to game making.

It also looks like Nordic games the sister company that was once part of Jowood bought the majority that wasn't previously bought.

Nordic was never a part of JoWooD. They bought JoWooD's old licenses.

Looks like they are stacking up licences.I wonder will they make big move or got them "just in case" since they could get them very cheaply.I am guessing it's latter.

My guess is they will lease the ip's to other studios to make games. It's easy to do and they don't have to fund the games just collect royalties.

Back
Top Bottom