Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition for iPad Announced and More

the inherent differences in tastes between the average PC user and tablet users, and the differences in U.I.s compared to a standard PC is alarming.
Your argument doesn't add up. If the audiences have such inherent differences and if the games are different due to to the UIs, then your logical conclusion should be that there will be no crossing over, not the opposite.

You guys should read this thread:
http://www.grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79

Not everyone can afford to haves a gaming PC or wants one, ESP if they already invested a lot of money into Aapple products like a macs and iPads.

So saying price is the reason is irrelevant really when both cost allot.Lets see you spend between $350 -$1,500 if you buy all the overpriced accessories. I can build a good pc on a budget of $1,000.

First of all, quit being a Windows/PC elitist. Because you can build PCs on a tight budget doesn't make anyone who can't or doesn't want to learn or spend the time to do it any less worthy of playing Baldur's Gate. Some people enjoy PC games without all the other bullshet involved in getting them running. Secondly, why would I want to build a PC when I already have a fully functioning iMac that I don't have to worry about getting viruses or having to update Direct X and other Windows settings every three days (and having it restart automatically)?

Oh, and your prices totally off. I own a first gen iPad of only 16Gb, so I have the entry model of every entry model. You could probably get one for like $150 used right now and never worry about hardware like hard drives faltering, software/hardware incompatibility, and viruses. You also don't have to worry about upgrading it every three months and spending an additional $300 which you obviously didn't factor in. Nor do you have to worry about noisy fans or bulkyness (I don't even own a monitor anymore outside my iMac and large HDTV screen).

And before you say anything, I know what your reply will be: you don't have to upgrade every few months if you don't want to and anyway it's like buying a new iPad every year. My answer to you is you are wrong and here is why:

Most iOS developers care to older iPad owners like myself, and make compatibility across three generations old. Even this Baldur's Gate will be compatible with the first generation. Many OC games on the other hand force you to use medium or low settings after only a year (meaning the system and GPU was a year old and was mid even then not top mind you because that would have set you back probably two grand at start).

Also, read the bottom of this thread where they are talking about Baldur's Gtr compatibility issues and tinkering to get better frame rates:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434118&page=6

I rest my case.

I rest my case.
Finally.
I'm hearing the same shitty arguments as I hear constantly the console retards saying. Touchscreeens, just like joypads have done, will induce dumbing down elements in the games. And it's not only because of the UI. Don't forget that they are also couch players.
But that's Ok, we are living after all in the age of retards.

Most iOS developers care to older iPad owners like myself, and make compatibility across three generations old. Even this Baldur's Gate will be compatible with the first generation. Many OC games on the other hand force you to use medium or low settings after only a year (meaning the system and GPU was a year old and was mid even then not top mind you because that would have set you back probably two grand at start).
I think it's pretty safe to say that you don't know much about pcs. ;)

First of all, quit being a Windows/PC elitist. Because you can build PCs on a tight budget doesn't make anyone who can't or doesn't want to learn or spend the time to do it any less worthy of playing Baldur's Gate. Some people enjoy PC games without all the other bullshet involved in getting them running. Secondly, why would I want to build a PC when I already have a fully functioning iMac that I don't have to worry about getting viruses or having to update Direct X and other Windows settings every three days (and having it restart automatically)?

Oh, and your prices totally off. I own a first gen iPad of only 16Gb, so I have the entry model of every entry model. You could probably get one for like $150 used right now and never worry about hardware like hard drives faltering, software/hardware incompatibility, and viruses. You also don't have to worry about upgrading it every three months and spending an additional $300 which you obviously didn't factor in. Nor do you have to worry about noisy fans or bulkyness (I don't even own a monitor anymore outside my iMac and large HDTV screen).

First off, Macs do get viruses so you do need to worry about them. Apple doesn't have as many but they also don't have the install base of the pc. You can't compare a first generation ipad with a real computer. It's a toy to play apps and surf the web and stuff.

If your talking cost to play BG then I can go down to a used pc shop and buy a $75 pc that will play it. You would never have to upgrade to play BG. That is what we are talking about right!!!, to play BG or to push your apple elitism.

I built my first pc in the late 80's and I have never had a virus. EVER. Stay on trusted sites, don't pirate software and don't open attachments and that will keep you 90% safe. I never even ran anti-virus software until last year. If I did get a nasty virus I Just reload my disk image and reinstall steam and all my games on a separate ssd. Less than a 1/2 hour and i'm gaming again.

I built a computer for the wife in 2008. It runs just as good today as it did then. I put a $150 video card and $40 of ram and now it can run skyrim. That's hardly upgrading every 3 months. Also no hardware failures , not even the hard drive you seem to be so worried about. You said in another thread your 2009 mac won't even run morrowind. Bootcamp and crashes and stuff.

If I had a Mac I'd need a whole new computer to run skyrim. Oh wait I couldn't run skyrim not without bootcamp or wrappers and drivers ( that you don't want to deal with).

As far as drivers I update my video drivers once or twice a year otherwise I do the rest yearly. Hardly troublesome.

My brother ran a large region for geeksquad (bestbuy). He said he see's more ipods,iphone and ipads in there service center than anything else. That's right ipods, iphones and ipads. They are not unbreakable modern marvels of technology they break just like everything else. He and his wife both own Iphones and ipads as well. So it's not pc bias on his part.

This is a thread about BG coming to ipad. You should just be happy about that. I wouldn't have even posted but I got tired of reading your constant, pc's need to be upgraded all the time, get viruses all the time, break all the time, need constant driver upgrades, etc., etc and nothing bad can every penetrate the veil of protection around a mighty apple product. All of that is Just not true.

I would question what your real intent here is but I guess I should know by your screen name. You know there aren't just pc elitists, there are also apple elitists. You already know that though don't you, AppleIntemidation.

I bought both my kids iphones becuase thats what they wanted. Apple makes some good products. That doesn't mean that pc's aren't just as good. The main difference is that pc 's give you more freedom to mess them up. So, yes you need to know what you are doing and use some common sense to keep them running smoothly, but it's far from hard or tedious.

Your argument doesn't add up. If the audiences have such inherent differences and if the games are different due to to the UIs, then your logical conclusion should be that there will be no crossing over, not the opposite.

No, my conclusion is that when a game is made for two divergent audiences and platforms, this means that there must be sacrifices to make both work - especially when we are talking about small development teams with limited resources/time/manpower. Of course there can be crossing over - just as a game can exist on consoles and PC. But which version inevitably gets the most attention? If there was a way for the majority of games developed with multiple platforms in mind to fully take advantage of their strengths/hardware/interfaces, then great! Everybody wins. This is rarely the case, however, as there is almost always a "lead" platform or sacrifices in the design to ensure that a game will work on every intended platform without having to essentially build each version from the ground up.

Am I overreacting? Perhaps a little bit, but I've seen what happened when the console market became more popular and larger than the PC market, and the drop-off in quality for the PC version of most games as a result. With projects like BG: Enhanced Edition (and several others), I can't help but wonder how much better the results would be if the focus was on making one great, definitive version instead of spreading out limited resources and manpower to make it work on separate platforms.

With projects like BG: Enhanced Edition (and several others), I can't help but wonder how much better the results would be if the focus was on making one great, definitive version instead of spreading out limited resources and manpower to make it work on separate platforms.
The issue is that they aren't interested in making the best game, but only interested in making the best selling game. With this type of devs, it's sell numbers that only matters. They are just AAA lackeys.

First off, Macs do get viruses so you do need to worry about them. Apple doesn't have as many but they also don't have the install base of the pc. You can't compare a first generation ipad with a real computer. It's a toy to play apps and surf the web and stuff.

If your talking cost to play BG then I can go down to a used pc shop and buy a $75 pc that will play it. You would never have to upgrade to play BG. That is what we are talking about right!!!, to play BG or to push your apple elitism.

I built my first pc in the late 80's and I have never had a virus. EVER. Stay on trusted sites, don't pirate software and don't open attachments and that will keep you 90% safe. I never even ran anti-virus software until last year. If I did get a nasty virus I Just reload my disk image and reinstall steam and all my games on a separate ssd. Less than a 1/2 hour and i'm gaming again.

I built a computer for the wife in 2008. It runs just as good today as it did then. I put a $150 video card and $40 of ram and now it can run skyrim. That's hardly upgrading every 3 months. Also no hardware failures , not even the hard drive you seem to be so worried about. You said in another thread your 2009 mac won't even run morrowind. Bootcamp and crashes and stuff.

If I had a Mac I'd need a whole new computer to run skyrim. Oh wait I couldn't run skyrim not without bootcamp or wrappers and drivers ( that you don't want to deal with).

As far as drivers I update my video drivers once or twice a year otherwise I do the rest yearly. Hardly troublesome.

My brother ran a large region for geeksquad (bestbuy). He said he see's more ipods,iphone and ipads in there service center than anything else. That's right ipods, iphones and ipads. They are not unbreakable modern marvels of technology they break just like everything else. He and his wife both own Iphones and ipads as well. So it's not pc bias on his part.

This is a thread about BG coming to ipad. You should just be happy about that. I wouldn't have even posted but I got tired of reading your constant, pc's need to be upgraded all the time, get viruses all the time, break all the time, need constant driver upgrades, etc., etc and nothing bad can every penetrate the veil of protection around a mighty apple product. All of that is Just not true.

I would question what your real intent here is but I guess I should know by your screen name. You know there aren't just pc elitists, there are also apple elitists. You already know that though don't you, AppleIntemidation.

I bought both my kids iphones becuase thats what they wanted. Apple makes some good products. That doesn't mean that pc's aren't just as good. The main difference is that pc 's give you more freedom to mess them up. So, yes you need to know what you are doing and use some common sense to keep them running smoothly, but it's far from hard or tedious.

My experience is totally different or you sir are dilusional. Remember this?
http://www.geek.com/articles/news/avg-update-causes-windows-bsod-2010122/

Yes, virus software is so reliable and it is so difficult catching malware on a PC.:rolleyes:

Also you claim you built a computer that can run Elder Scrolls V cheaply, how is the experience compared to other PC owners who have a top of the line? DO they cater to you or do you have to constantly tinker with settings and deal with frame rate issues in particular parts of the game where you have to change settings again just to pass those areas? WHat resolutions do you use, etc. You see the point I'm getting at and why I gave up PC gaming?

And there is no reason the iPad shouldnt have good games just like any other platform. How come you people werent so mad or vocal when a Baldurs Gate spinoff was made for consoles or when a game comes out on the 3DS?

By the way, have you tried playing Bully or GTA IV on your pC?

The issue is that they aren't interested in making the best game, but only interested in making the best selling game. With this type of devs, it's sell numbers that only matters. They are just AAA lackeys.

Most PC games are point and click mouse games. You really think those are the best types of games to begin with? A lot of 3DS and Vita owners would disagree with you for one. They will say that Mario is better than any PC game ever.

Here are a few more reasons why I'm excited about real good and lengthy games coming to iPad:

Here are a few reasons:

1. My desk is really uncomfortable and I cant afford a huge leather chair (my current desktop has no back on my chair).

2. I have a 2009 iMac and when I try playing games in bootcamp I get often compatibility issues and crashes (morrowind is almost unplayable with mods).

3. I often go to coffee shops and sit there all day with my iPad as I am a freelance writer.

4. I hate tinkering with settings and GPU/other hardware driver issues. I originally purchased the first Baldur's Gate at $50 when I was a kid and it first came out and couldnt even play it for months because I didnt know how to update DirectX at the time to play it.

5. I dont get why people can play their PSP and 3DS systems for hours and cant the iPad with its better battery life and nicer screen?

I thought you've already rested your case.

You're filled with clichés about PCs that you have read in a console or Mac user forum. You don't know nothing about PC gaming world.

Macs are only good for writing text. Everybody knows that.
And Ipads are just good to show to your neighbor next door that you have one.
They have never, and will never be, good gaming machines. Well, unless if you like Angry Birds.

Actually some iPad games are better than PC versions or versions from other systems with the same port. Take plants vs zombies and that puzzle game with those green blobs that was ported from Wii and steam. Everyone on any gaming blog agrees the iPad version is the definite version. Explain to me why there are so many users on TouchArcade and why the site gets so much daily traffic if there is not a huge demand for iPad gaming and if people don't enjoy it?

A full blown wargame was recently released on iPad called Battle Academy. Just read the comments on TouchArcade -- everyone agrees its a full PC game and just as good for cheaper:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=125758

iPad games are often just as good and much cheaper than PC games so I get to save a lot of money that you have to spend, plus you have to upgrade all the time and pay for anti virus software. Also the experience is much more personal and intimate. Playing with the lights out and headphones on in bed in the middle of the night when o one can bother you is much more intimate than on a desk in the middle of the night with loud fans and keyboard clicks.

Actually some iPad games are better than PC versions or versions from other systems with the same port.

How many is "some"? I'm guessing less than 5%.

Also the experience is much more personal and intimate. Playing with the lights out and headphones on in bed in the middle of the night when o one can bother you is much more intimate than on a desk in the middle of the night with loud fans and keyboard clicks.

Dude… just stop.

A full blown wargame was recently released on iPad called Battle Academy. Just read the comments on TouchArcade — everyone agrees its a full PC game and just as good for cheaper:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=125758
Right. That wasn't just a "port". They have adapted the master PC version UI to the iPad. Battle Academy is a PC wargame that was released in 2010, and in 2011 ported to Mac.. The PC version is not crippled by concessions to the touch screen and it was created with PC in mind. It's a pure PC game. It's one of the wargames that I play.
I have nothing against such type of ports.

Dude… just stop.

He wont the whole news post is comprised of his posts. He prefers tablets and hate pc's that much we can tell. He is like a politician forcing there agenda on you with propaganda.

There is no reason Baldur's Gate can't be ported just as well. I imagine it would work in a similar manner, and most mouse intensive games would work well on a tablet.

My experience is totally different or you sir are dilusional. Remember this?
http://www.geek.com/articles/news/avg-update-causes-windows-bsod-2010122/

Yes, virus software is so reliable and it is so difficult catching malware on a PC.:rolleyes:

No I don't remember that. If you would have read my post you'd see I wasn't using anti-virus then. My point was that in 20+ years using a pc I've never gotten a virus and most of those were without antivirus protection.

Your reply also doesn't change the fact that macs get viruses too. I'm sure you don't want to talk about that though.So, macs and pc both get viruses albeit pc get them easier but i'm living proof if your careful they are more than avoidable.

Also you claim you built a computer that can run Elder Scrolls V cheaply, how is the experience compared to other PC owners who have a top of the line?

I never claimed that. Again read my post. I wrote that I built my wife a computer in 2008 and with a couple cheap upgrades it can now run skyrim. Something you can't do with your beloved Mac I would assume since you said you couldn't get morrowind to run.

Why would I compare the experience to a top of the line computer? Your 2009 mac is also slower than a top of the line new mac. You want to make it seem like it's hard to game on a pc. I installed the game clicked medium settings and ran it. It looks fine. I own a top of the line gaming computer 4.8 ghz cpu, 2 480 gtx's in sli overclocked, 8gb of ram running at 2133mhz, multiple ssd's, 1 raptor and all water cooled connected to a 27" 120hz 3d monitor. Skyrim runs better on it than it does on my wife's pc, what's your point?

DO they cater to you or do you have to constantly tinker with settings and deal with frame rate issues in particular parts of the game where you have to change settings again just to pass those areas? WHat resolutions do you use, etc. You see the point I'm getting at and why I gave up PC gaming?

They absolutely don't cater to me and anyone that's ever read any of my posts on the subject will know that I don't want them catering to the low end. As far as changing settings if you've gamed on a pc for a while or have the ability to use google it's very easy to know what setting will get you the biggest performance gain if you need it. You obviously don't know the in's and out's of pc gaming. I guess that's why I find your post so offensive. Alot of what you are saying is just false. You openly admit you don't game on pc but speak as though you are an authority on it.

And there is no reason the iPad shouldnt have good games just like any other platform. How come you people werent so mad or vocal when a Baldurs Gate spinoff was made for consoles or when a game comes out on the 3DS?

I'm not sure who "you people" are but please show me the post where I said the ipad shouldn't have good games. I really don't think you read post thoroughly. I had a lot of fun with bG dark alliance. It was a spinoff as you say. Had it been BG3 I would have been irate. As for consoles most everyone hear knows how I feel on that subject so I wont go in to it. Let's just say i'm not a big fan because they promote making games for the lowest common denominator of hardware.

By the way, have you tried playing Bully or GTA IV on your pC?

I don't play those games but i'm sure my computer would have no problems with them. Nor would my wifes.

It's funny people buy stuff all the time and learn how to maintain it. Then they go out buy a pc and never bother to learn anything about it and blame it when it breaks. My wife for instance has tons of ceramic bells. Dust them and cleans them alll the time but has never so much as defragged her hard drive much less opened it up and cleaned it out. Fortunately I have, point is pc's do require maintenance and a little common sense to own. If you don't have that in then yes, it's good you got out of pc gaming.

Back
Top Bottom