Lost Odyssey.

mute

Sentinel
I might be tramping on som foot. Maybe offend some people.

But to the darnest. I really enjoy this game. I reckognize the zero replayability in exploring new stuff (except just re-experience the wonderful crafted game!).

I went from the Mass Effect (FINALLY FINISHED IT!) where the graphics popped in over, under, here and there - to this. An extremly polished looking JRPG game.

I know not everybody like them, but since i love adventure games, i love the view. And the dreams.

Well, wasn't going to buy it until fz.se gave it a 2/5 (they gave The Witcher 1.5/5) (same reviewer) and i thought this game must be good. And bought it. Only 4 hours into the game, but seeing what to excpect and reading the reviews i think this isn't going to much downhill from here.

Oh, i think it helps if you love the little movie Steamboy. The artdirection is, in my view very similar. Altough in that film it was steam engined creations, here it is magic.

(I detest action games disguised as RPG (MassEffect) and this was a fresh taste, altough. Its freshness comes from a flavour long time forgotten, and rewaken).

Anyone else liking this game? (I know its a XBOX360 game)

I'm diggin' this game. I usually hate JRPGs but, as you mentioned, the art direction is enough to keep me happy. I wish they did a little bit more with the steampunk type setting. So far the magicpunk(did I just make that up?) seems to be just an excuse for easy travel without using teleportation. The FF combat system can get a little tedious though. Oh, and it may be juvenile but... the boobs are nice. :p

In the start i was thinking that the battle never got to interested. But now they started to having me think. I don't really know how much i have to focus on this game, and have to really make an effort. But playing leisurly at my couch. Enjoying the cutscenes, experience the world. Reading the little storys. It really puts a smile to my face. I still haven't got lost, never felt i needed directions or the game overwhelmed me. I read some reviewer said that this was a well directed interactive movie. And in some way i agree. Not in bad way.

Never played final fantasy, or any other JRPG game so for me this take is new and interesting.

Magicpunk - i like it.
In my world, i think Boobs are juvenile, mature AND fun. :)

(Altough i don't think this game has too much of the black and white of man and woman that can usally been seen in manga or in this kind of settings (girls in school outfits with little skirts (what?). But ofcourse, the men are men and women are women. No inbetweens in this game).

This game is really big on my list. I'm still playing Eternal Sonata and enjoying that, so I'm looking forward to it. I was a little worried about reports of technical problems and long load times, although I know how reviewers can exaggerate these things.

I mean, hey. I played Final Fantasy VII and IX. I can take some abuse. ;)

This game is really big on my list. I'm still playing Eternal Sonata and enjoying that, so I'm looking forward to it. I was a little worried about reports of technical problems and long load times, although I know how reviewers can exaggerate these things.

I mean, hey. I played Final Fantasy VII and IX. I can take some abuse. ;)

I actually think it looks pretty good and I hate 90% of console RPGs. I'm kind of hoping they do a PC port so I can give it a try.

Final Fantasy VII was a good game... FF IX was as Borat would say....."not so much".

;) I did come up to some irritating aspects. I don't know if its like this, but i realy do not want to try to find out.

You have a big boss fight. You try it out forever. 1-2-3-4...8 times. I don't mind, laying on the sofa, relaxing. Its interesting trying out strategies (and using up real life luck). Then BADABING. You defeat it. You rejoice.

F-i-n-a-l-l-y.

You look at your watch. Ah, bed time. Well, i just have to save the game.

Right.

Save the game.

Hm, perhaps after this 10 min movie, i can find a room with a save buoy in. Aha! After this movie, there is a fight, a movie, a movie, a fight. a long movie, and a f*king fight.

It is now 1 hour+ after my last save, which i induced. Can i save and still pick up? I don't know. Do i have to find a buoy before i quit to be sure i do not have wathc the movies and the fights and the bossess?

Well, seeing this game is charted as a 40h+ game. I see why. In the pc business this is a 3 hour game. 10 hours into the game, i do not think i will finish it. Despite my first aweness above.

But if it soo that i can safely quit after a movie? Anybody knows? then i might dig through it. I do enjoy it in a SM way.

And think, i criticised the withcer for not letting me save after the movies and before the fight with the hellhound.

I will never again say something evil against that game! :)

Yesterday night a just got borred with the freackin movies that just moved passed them. I realized. I do not care about anyone, since the movies isn't there for enjoyment, it is there to keep up the frustration. I didn't even mind a section of steatlh which i replayed 10 times before i got through it. I don't even mind the minimovies before the fights, after the checkpoints reloads. But as soon as I see a movie aaargh. Hm, wonder if it was this kind of frustration level against FMV that killed of WingCommander.

:)

(I know, i was now trying to play for 1½ hour before work. But i only played for 30 min since i didn't know if i was able to save in the coming 1 hour... how great is that on a scale!)

Mute the frustrated.

Last edited:
Final Fantasy VII was a good game... FF IX was as Borat would say....."not so much".

I really liked FFIX for its story and twists and turns. It had less character background and was more linear, but there was a touch of pleasantness to the world, even for all the destruction and abandonment issues in it. FFVII does more with characters and side-quests. The world has more in it and there is more to do. FFVII really succeeded with its mini-games and gritty world.

You look at your watch. Ah, bed time. Well, i just have to save the game.

Right.

Save the game.

Well, seeing this game is charted as a 40h+ game. I see why. In the pc business this is a 3 hour game.

Haha, well yeah. You're absolutely right about that. I guess this is the reason that these games are so popular among the masochistic Asian people. ;) I read that Lost Odyssey has random encounters, too. How about that mechanic to lenghten a game, huh? But at least you're playing it the right way, comfortably on the couch. On a PC, you'd have thrown it out the window already. A gamepad and couch almost make all the abuse bearable. If not for the usually awesome story...

I like that in a PSX emulator you can just save the state whenever you want! If only these Japanese game designers made some sensible save points or save-whenever-you-want! (We can dream...)

Is this a 360 exclusive?

Judging from the few screenshots I just saw it looks quite nice.

But why do games have to be "exclusives" ? Do the developers get extra money [in this case: from Microsoft] for making a thing an "exclusive" ?

Yeah, it's pure marketing. There's no technical reason that I see, although I can accept that development could be easier and faster if it doesn't have to be optimized and tested for other systems right off the bat. Some people claim that exclusives look better on the system it was built for.

But mostly money. These people need their consoles to win the popularity contest. I mean, really. The Playstation 2 was a great machine, but what made it really great was the games.

I maybe biting my lip and buying one of these new god darn consoley things.

Enjoyed Steam Boy btw.

I just must stress out that its not all shiny and bright. Altough, i am looking forward spending sometime with the game this weekend. (When i am not on a limited time, having to chase save points around). The save system is the biggest drawback, and its really such a potential showstopper for people. XBOX360 has a tendency to crash with a dirty disc messages. I got it once in 8 hour of play, and i read a reviewer got it during the end, after the last fight - hence never really got the chance to "complete" the experience, without replaying a large portion of the end game. (Large portion is used from a pc player perspective where you can save all the time). I thought MassEffect on the XBOX360 had a limited save system, not allowing you to save when there was enemys round you. But that was a very forgiving approach - comparing.

Still - i will not bash this game saying stay clear. I just want to make sure that my biggest grief with the game isn't missed. Since i started the thread! :) (And was a little more amused during the first hour then the latter).

Having friends that loved the old Final Fantasy saying this is wonderfully old school. So i guess, its an aquired taste. Not worth getting a XBOX for, but definitly worth trying out if you already own an console.

The entire idea of the save state is to make the game more challanging. It is really exciting when you are almost dead and can see the place to save in front of you and a dangerous monster popup! The adrenaline starts pumping.

IMHO the every save PC system really sucks. You are encountered by a very important decision which one will you take? on PC press F5, take one,, ok F8 try the other one, looks like this one is better, ok F5, keep playing. Or on for example TW I want some money ok Poker Dice, F5, play max amount allowed, oops I lost F8, ok play again, yeah I won a lot F5, and it also takes time to save and load which makes it even more boring! BLEH I prefer the save spot, not being able to save everywhere system any day!

Of course I would like something even better like in Diablo 2, only in Diablo 2 this system is a waste since it never gives you any interestihg choices!

I do not tend to save to much in game, but in lost odyssey its truly ridicolous. In my view it is an example on extremly poor game design.

I was now forced to play through 1 hour and 14 min without the ability to save. It started with an extremly hard fight. Which had me to level alot before (by randomly ponder my time in a forest waiting for enemy to respawn). Then a plot twist occurred. Really interesting.

Movie time, which i enjoyed, the first 10 min off. Then character change, and another interesting plot twist with an easy fight. And another movie, with another character change which started a silly collect 10 items quest (without the ability to save (just to be sure something didn't happened to your console atleast). After that, i had another collect 10 items with ANOTHER character (no save, and no ability to seek out a save point i new was a Screen away). Then a movie (yep, i really started to smash the A button, the dialog was pretty uninteresting). Then finally something happened. But - more dialog, movie - and suddenly i was suppose to do something (i missed out on the instruction cause during this hour i had enjoyed a fair bit of Die Hard 4.0 or Transformers - this past hour was - diplomaticly put - a lot less interesting - its a game ... ) so my mind and heart was just waiting to find a save point. Ok, after a brief tutorial i was suppose to lit a torch. It was a frustrating event. Finished it and had to do it 4 times more. (The funny thing was you should do four movevments on time, if you miss you had to start over) - did i say no save point so far.

A movie started which i guess was suppose to be emotional - but i guess your supposed to be awake to look at it. Skipped it. A plot change (i have a new character joining my party (for some reason, don't know. 1 hour in, and my dog wants to get out). Anyway, skipped that plot movie cause - you guessed it - i didn't care.

Moved out, finally. Getting by a bell, got a flashback - got a dream (stopped to read them like wednsesday - the first few was interesting but, i am playing a game - atleast i am playing a console, so this should be a game - some sort anyway).

Smashed button A and X, went away. SAVE POINT NOW!

NOooooo PLOT MOVIE. Scrapp it, i don't f*king care.

Finally, save point.

So.

I really take my F5, F6 or F8 key. Or Mass Effects or even GRAWs (pc) frustrating few savepoints. This is just ridiculous.

If you are playing the game, make sure you have 3-4 hours infront of you. Make sure you don't get distracted. But the sad point is, the game only got downhill from the first 4 hours.

I have got me an expensive coaster. Atleast its four of them. ;)

JRPG isn't for me. Hope nobody bought the game because of my initial good post. FZ.SE is way off by the way. A crossed grade would be more suitable... with a high mark in polish and atleast effort.

A game this is not!

Mute the extremly frustrated! :)

Ok, it sounds quite horrible, I do think it is not the system as such you are against but the implementation in this game hehe, but you do know there is a pasue button right? :p

Why is it when ever i feel i love a game and want to should out loud how good it is i hate it in just about a few hours. :)

But you are correct. I am not against it, its this implementation that is poor - rubbish is the correct word. If they had put in automatic save points every 15 min, in these movie scenes they would have fixed it. But now i guess its only the die hard fans that love these kind of games thats gonna play through them.

But, truth to be told. A training session with my dog, a pizza and a cup of coffe. I am now thinking of starting it up again. The sick thing is that i would like to know whats happen with the core story. ;)

Lost Odyssey .- please spank me, spank me!

Mute the servant.

Hm, in Final Fantasy, you could at least save at any time when you were on the world map. You sure that there isn't something like that in Lost Odyssey? It was pretty much standard for Square games.

But an hour between save points isn't even that horrible in terms of these games. It sucks; you can't really play them for 30 minutes at a time in most cases, but I see it already got you since you got drawn back in already. ;)

That's the duality of Japanese RPG's...

Back
Top Bottom