Loki - Review @ Gamespot

magerette

Hedgewitch
Gamespot has a review up of Cyanide's recently released action rpg Loki. On the whole, it's a positive take of the mythogically inspired game, with a final score of 7.0 :
Even though the Diablo formula may seem awfully ho-hum these days--especially in this case, since Titan Quest covered the mythological-heroes shtick over a year ago--good mechanics and great atmosphere make up for the lack of innovation...
Despite the overall difficulty, everything moves along pretty quickly. Even though you have to repeat yourself a little too often, you still easily get into a killing groove balanced just about perfectly between addiction and monotony... As with every other good action RPG ever made, you know that you're just clicking mouse buttons over and over again, but the pace of combat and the collection of magical weapons and other goodies (the usual assortment of swords, armor, and potions, with some cultural characteristics tossed in mainly to differentiate one style of clothing from another) is so speedy that you can barely bring yourself to stop playing...
All told, Loki is one of those rare, totally derivative pleasures. A game that will inspire a lot of déjà vu but very little boredom.
More information.

I must have missed something. I played the game for 3 hours and put it away. The graphics I played looked nothing like the screen shots. Game play was to clear the square and go to the next grid. Are there 2 Loki games? Since I haven't finished it I won't score it but a 7 out of ten seems high. The new patch may be the Grail though.

Gamespot readers are ADD-kiddies.

Well, 'user score' doesn't encourage me.

Yeah, and ES4:Oblivion got 9.4 that makes it the best CRPG of all time. *roll eyes*

No, really. Most of the Gamespot readers opinions are no indication for the quality of a CRPG.

BTW: Loki is better than Titan Quest. By far.

Why?

I've tried out Loki, actually: my main gripe was with the camera, namely, I couldn't zoom out enough. Yes, it might sound minor but I feel almost claustrophobic if I can't see well around me, and in Loki you certainly couldn't. In any case, that and a fairly mediocre first impression had me uninstalling it; apparently, it does have some redeeming features (according to some of the reviews I've read), but is on the whole... just mediocre.

I'd personally recommend Silverfall over this if you really must play some hack and slash - also not a perfect game, but at least you can zoom out a lot!

Yeah, and ES4:Oblivion got 9.4 that makes it the best CRPG of all time. *roll eyes*

No, really. Most of the Gamespot readers opinions are no indication for the quality of a CRPG.

Maybe..Anyone more played this? I don't expect sth spectacular but a little fun for at least one weak would be nice.

I played the Loki demo( first one-Nordic warrior) and it wasn't anything special for me--I had a pretty massive Titan Quest addiction though and got used to that level of graphics and interface. Just going by the demo, Loki seemed pretty average to me. I liked TQ, The Chosen:Well of Souls and Depths of Peril quite a bit better.

The reviews I've read say this game is totally in the middle range.

Not too good, and not too bad either.

Back
Top Bottom