Monitor dying?

dteowner

Shoegazer
Turning on my monitor is becoming an adventure. Most of the time, it won't turn on, although the power light will shine. If I get persistent with the power button, the power light will go solid and then the whole thing locks up. The light won't turn off for anything short of pulling the power cable. It seems to be getting worse, and the only way I can get it going the past couple days is to keep pulling the power cable, hitting the button to discharge everything, plugging it back in and giving it a go. Today it only took 10 iterations.

Internal power supply going boink, y'all think? Not that it should make any difference, but it's a BenQ FP93GX and about 4 years old. Haven't had a single problem with it until the past week or so. I'm tempted to blame the Wild Dogs, but I think they're just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Only 4 years old? I'm not familiar with BenQ, but that seems like a very short lifespan for a monitor. My old monitor, a Viewsonic 19" CRT, lasted me 10 years before I finally upgraded in January.

I think 19" is too small by todays standards anyways. Look at this as an excuse to upgrade. :)

Sure sounds like it's on it's last legs, had a CRT monitor way back that went out in a similar way iirc. And yeah, like JDR13 said; 4 years is pretty fast to break down for a monitor, guess you just ran into some bad luck.

Yup. Another reason to rant about Chinese manufacturing...

I think 19" is too small by todays standards anyways. Look at this as an excuse to upgrade. :)

Yepp. Always look for that kind of excuses. Improves the WAF.

Fortunately, since I develop software and software integration solutions for a living, I can always refer to work.

Use the opportunity to buy 2 new TFTs. ;)

Sounds like new one time. And a fire hazzard I would guess. If you have to pull on cables to get it going something is messed up and might short out on you. Wouldn't walk off with it plugged in.

Sounds like new one time. And a fire hazzard I would guess. If you have to pull on cables to get it going something is messed up and might short out on you. Wouldn't walk off with it plugged in.

That way he could get new stuff from the insurrance company instead of paying for it....... so it might not be a bad idea....

Wrong time to go shopping, unfortunately. Shouldn't really spend more than a couple hundred if that, which means I'll probably end up spending about $250. The "hole" in my desk/cabinet is only 21.5" wide, so I think I'm topped out around a 22" widescreen. Any recommendations? I did some looking around and got overwhelmed in a hurry. Too many brands, too many models.

I was planning on using NewEgg if they had what I wanted. That's where I got my BenQ, and NewEgg handled that transaction flawlessly for a great price. My question is more about brand and model numbers. Samsung, for instance, has about 20 different model numbers in my screen size and many of them don't appear to have any distinguishing characteristics to help me decide exactly which one I want.

Yep. Research has proven more difficult than I expected. Good info is hard to find and the number of choices is just ridiculous. Thanks for the link--anything helps.

Just my 2 cents worth (apparently a side effect of "Benadryl" is increased desire for social interaction - or at least feeding the ego by expressing an opinion)

I agree with Rills concerning the Samsung brand. I have purchased 9 monitors from them (not just for me - I would like to have a wall of monitors, but the closest I've come so far are the 2 aquariums of lizards my bf had at one point) and haven't had a single problem - not even a burned out pixel.

This is the link to the monitor both my bf and I are currently using on our computers:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4420150&CatId=2775

You can see quite a few customer reviews at the bottom of the page (if those matter to you) - mostly very positive.

BTW - I really enjoy all the Muppet avatar pics you keep coming up with :)

I am also a Samsung user. Never disappointed me.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom