Risen 2 - Review Roundup

So which is the most *enjoyable* path? Guns or voodoo? I need some fun right now.

From the reviews so far:

- Voodoo = Underused - Seems like there is only a dozen or so occasions throughout the course of the game where it makes sense to use it. It's also buggy as could be seen in one of the review videos where someone tried to make two monkeys fight each other and they did nothing but play tag.

- Guns = Overpowered - A lot of reviews mentioned that guns are unbalanced and overpowered which I find easy to believe from experience with the beta. Guns deal a lot of damage at close range and it should be possible to one-shot a lot of enemies at higher levels after hitting them once or twice with the melee weapon, i.e. whack - whack - BOOM - over.

So which is the most *enjoyable* path? Guns or voodoo? I need some fun right now.

Guns if you want combat to be quick and over easy, voodoo if you want to do some more interesting stuff.

My one teeny-tiny criticism would be that there were a number of what I'd consider small spoilers that I would have rather not known about. But after reading a few of them early on in your article, I do acknowlege it was my choice to keep on reading so I take some of the blame myself.

Sorry! I try to avoid the worse, but I find it very difficult to talk this indepth about a game with offering solid examples. I think I avoided the worst kinds of spoilers (there's a bunch of nice little twists, some predictable, some less so), but I do need some story examples to illustrate what I'm talking about, rather than dwelling on vagueries throughout the review.

I'm told the new beta Geforce drivers help with Risen 2 performance, so be sure to grab those if you're an NVIDIA user.

Found another review:
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/4/23/2968303/risen-2-dark-waters-review

7/10 and a quote that made my day:
What other game lets you learn a skill called "‘Nuff Said" that allows you to end the occasional conversation by pulling a pistol on your co-converser and sending them to Davy Jones' Locker?
Honestly can't wait to play this game... Um... To grab that skill. :)
Would be worth also here on the forum, right Dartagnan? ;)

That's too funny…

I already had my mind made up to go the Voodoo route because it sounded more interesting, but now I'm thinking I might do guns instead.

"Cleverest bastard gnome! Fuck yes!"

Sold.

I actually hate the gnomes with their baby language and retarded looks :cm: .

It's too bad PB got rid of destruction magic or I'd sink their entire stupid little island. I do hope there's other means to commit proper genocide on the gnome population though and you bet that Mr. Jaffar Binks is going to have the special honor of being the first to walk the plank in my game :devilish:

Would be worth also here on the forum, right Dartagnan? ;)

I might make good use of it - which is what you meant, right? ;)

After watching the zeitgeist review, I'm back to buying the game.

But I'm mighty disappointed they're talking about ~30 hours. PB specifically promised it would be 50% bigger than Risen.

As much as I am a fan of PB - and as much as this is a lame answer - my understanding from looking through the Deep Silver forums is this "50% bigger" thing might include the water.

I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure I remember them speaking about landmass.

If they deliberately meant to include non-explorable water - then I'll have to force them into cyclical multi-page pointless debates - until they make a proper Gothic sequel!

I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure I remember them speaking about landmass.

If they deliberately meant to include non-explorable water - then I'll have to force them into cyclical multi-page pointless debates - until they make a proper Gothic sequel!

Poor, poor PB! ;)

Dunno if anyone already noticed, but Risen2 is available for preload on Steam - I've just started it.

But I'm mighty disappointed they're talking about ~30 hours. PB specifically promised it would be 50% bigger than Risen.

There's an easy solution for all those people complaining about the 30 hours: Just don't use quick travel. The 10 hours more walking will for sure greatly enhance your fun greatly! ;)

Do you have any source on that? I mean, from what I remember they weren´t exactly clear about it.
What I remember is me posting this:).
I don´t remember them claiming it´ll be 50% longer either.
I´m not arguing, just interested.

Holy crap guys. I just realized I forgot to talk about one thing in both my preview and review: you can't swim. Much more than the climbing mechanic, that to me was a huge deal in exploration. There's no swimming underwater to enter ruins or caves. If you hit deep water, you're teleported back to shore. No explanation or anything, it just fades to black and fades back in with you on the shore.

In explorable landmass? That's simply not true.

gorath said:
Just don't use quick travel.

There is almost no quick travel in this game. There's occasional little dinghies you can use to travel from one beach to the other (only a few islands have these), and obv you take your main boat from islands to island, but otherwise, no quick travel.

Last edited:
There is almost no quick travel in this game. There's occasional little dinghies you can use to travel from one beach to the other (only a few islands have these), and obv you take your main boat from islands to island, but otherwise, no quick travel.

Uhh...bring up map, click any previously visited location, quick travel. You can also return to your ship from anywhere and go to any island and then quick travel between any previous location on that island. There couldn't be more quick travel.

Back
Top Bottom