Skyrim - Mounted Combat in v1.6

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Bethblog announces Skyrim v1.6 will feature mounted combat along with a number of fixes (including several crash fixes). As usual, PC players can opt into the Steam beta:
The team at Bethesda Game Studios is excited to announce another new feature making its way into Skyrim… Mounted Combat! Like the recently added Kinect support (360) and new kill cameras, this highly-requested feature that was seen in the Skyrim Game Jam video is arriving for free. In fact, by opting into the latest Steam Beta Update, PC users can check out the feature today. As far as release on other platforms, we’ll let you know when we have more information.
Thanks again to all our fans, we remain committed to supporting the game through our free updates, mod tools, and more. And yes, we’re still working on our first add-on, Dawnguard – some great stuff to show you soon, stay tuned!
Read the current 1.6 release notes below…
1.6 Update (all platforms unless specified)
NEW FEATURES
  • Mounted Combat - Skyrim now allows you to do melee and ranged combat while riding a horse
BUG FIXES
  • General stability and memory optimizations
  • General AI pathfinding optimizations and bug fixes
  • Optimizations and crash fixes for data leaks
  • Fixed rare crash with lighting
  • Fixed crashes related to loading and saving games
  • Fixed crash with summoned creatures/NPCs
  • Fixed rare issue where saves would be corrupted
  • Improved logic for when ranged kill cams are played
  • Fixed issue with ranged kill cams while killing a dragon
  • Fixed rare issue with certain ranged kill cams not playing properly
  • Fixed issue with nirnroot lighting not properly cleaning up
  • Fixed issue where bow damage was being calculated incorrectly
  • Fixed rare problem with werewolf kill moves would not finish animating properly
  • In “The Break of Dawn” fixed rare issue where Meridia’s Beacon would disappear from player’s inventory
  • Fixed occasional issue where followers would disappear after player pays off a bounty after committing a crime
  • Fixed issue where certain creatures and NPCs would fail to respawn properly
  • Fixed rare issue with dialogue subtitles not displaying properly
  • Fixed issue with water appearing blurry when loading a saved game after creating a save underwater
  • Fixed issue where map cursor would occasionally disappear after closing a message box with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)
  • Fixed rare issue with shouts only performing the first level and not other unlocked levels with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)
  • Fixed issue where the shout buttons would stop working properly if users mashed LB and RB during cooldown with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)
Thanks to everyone who wrote in about this!
More information.

That's great but for the love of god put in a dodge. Am I the only one who wants this I can't believe its not highly requested.

I like that a lot of 'crash' causing bugs are being squashed in 1.6. But holy cow are they ever going to get to fixing quests.

•Fixed issue with nirnroot lighting not properly cleaning up
About time! Those things can turn into novas over the course of the game.

That's great but for the love of god put in a dodge. Am I the only one who wants this I can't believe its not highly requested.
I think that would mean completely re-inventing the whole combat system. This isn't an action RPG. You want Dragon Knight Saga just down the hall.

I like that a lot of 'crash' causing bugs are being squashed in 1.6. But holy cow are they ever going to get to fixing quests.
Meh. The unofficial patch fixes that stuff. At least for the PC gamers.

Hopefully the next patch will roll up a lot of the remaining quest bugs - though I think fixing the navmesh bugs (yes, that's what the pathfinding fix appears to be - finally) actually takes care of one or two of them at least. Still quite a few potential bugs particularly dependent on quest/exploration order in some key places.

It is nice to see them still patching pretty regularly and also adding new features for free; have to admit it's a nice shift from the Oblivion model.

About time! Those things can turn into novas over the course of the game.

I think that would mean completely re-inventing the whole combat system. This isn't an action RPG. You want Dragon Knight Saga just down the hall.

Meh. The unofficial patch fixes that stuff. At least for the PC gamers.

I would definitely consider skyrim an ARPG, besides they already have the silent roll animation. Just make it usable all the time.

Why wouldn't you consider skyrim an ARPG?

try Duke Patrick's combat mod for FAR better combat. best ive seen in any game. Must have mod for me since OB

While TES games definitely have their share of action, I think many people consider them to be more simulation.

I guess simulation never crossed my mind. I've always thought of it as action because player reflexes determines whether or not you hit rather than stats.

whether or not it's seen as action or not I still believe the ability to dodge would not be out of place with the combat system.

@SonOfCapiz that mod sounds great is it stable I noticed it says it's beta?

Off topic -- I purchased risen 2 when I heard they added Dodge. I just think it really adds to the combat systems.

Mounted combat?

Yeah. It's... surprisingly fun. It's clunky and clearly primitive; it's still in beta but I don't imagine they'll do much more than polish it slightly if at all for the final patch. It is still a fun addition - it will get old just as combat always does in elder scrolls games though.

@SonOfCapiz that mod sounds great is it stable I noticed it says it's beta?

It's not causing any more crashing, if that's what you mean. It still has lots of features to be implemented and those that are already in, Duke is still tweaking. Some of it can be quirky at times (and not for all users) but most of it is due to the weird way (so modders say) the new system handles scripts and stuff. Still nothing nearly big enough to make me choose Skyrim without it. If you want a better idea of what the mod aims to do, you can check out his OB one.

@xSamhainx
check out Duke's mod as well. He handles 2weapons differently. He was in the SCA (they do medieval-style fighting in real equipment and stuff) so knows his stuff better than most. Basically, the 2W don't make you attack faster but it helps you catch the enemy off guard and unable to defend effectively.

One of the main reasons I enjoy Skyrim is because it's one of the VERY few RPGs with active combat that doesn't have your character rolling around in the dirt in full plate armor. How on earth did a ROLL become standard to the move set of a sword and armor based fighting system? It's ridiculous. Maybe a slight backwards dodge mechanic might be welcome, but that's about it.

I think it’s because most of the gamers (like myself) playing Elder Scroll games in first person view. But, I think if I were playing the game in third person, no dodging would be a problem for me. It was a real problem in Risen 2 before the patch, for ex.

Back
Top Bottom