Shroud of the Avatar - Update #12, Art Direction

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In update number 12 of the Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter the art direction is discussed.
SotA_mountainPass-1024x512.jpg

When we first started discussing Art Direction for Shroud of the Avatar, we felt it was critical that the virtual world be steeped in a traditional medieval fantasy feel, but have added a modern twist that we think will be a real treat for players to experience, taking them into something fresh.
There are an abundance of medieval fantasy games out there—so we asked ourselves how do we set the game apart, how do we create a unique and marketable identity in an oversaturated market? The answer came in Richard’s natural storytelling ability. Over the last few months, Richard developed a complex, rich story in which two worlds collide, the ancient world melding with the modern, and the world art we’re creating will reflect that in a fresh and unique way.
We started with traditional medieval elements and layered in elements of a primitive electro-mechanical future. Our objective is to create a visual aesthetic that is both familiar and unique. And now with the addition of Tracy Hickman to the team, his vision for the story will continue to evolve that world, and in turn, evolve our depiction of that world.
Richard’s attention to detail and sense of direction demands that all characters, weapons, objects, and buildings need to “make sense” and not just exist as eye-candy. We are creating a world that sets Shroud of the Avatar apart from the pack-- but also one where form always follows function. We believe this design process will create believable, fascinating worlds and our art will follow that vision.
More information.

What original art..... I wish Peter Jackson had thought of art direction like that when filming LOTR.... oh, wait.....

I was expecting more from the only team in game design that doesn't suck.

:) Heh.

I actually like the art, and the idea of an electropunk look could be interesting.

I like RG's maxim that everything in the game has a place in the game world and is not just cosmetic. That was one of the good points he made in the PC gamer interview, I think.

To be fair there are only so many ways to present a giant gate blocking a valley, the concept is not unique to LOTR. This gate looks about 40 feet tall, and is something that could reasonably be built in real life, at least it's only a little bit exaggerated, I'd expect a palisade (wood spiky bits) since bordering a territory with masoned stone would be prohibitively expensive. But you could build it, if the gate had to be intimidating and slow someone down long enough for troops to get there. The Peter Jackson gate was OMG Huge, like 80 feet tall and an eight of a mile wide at least. An epic gate found only in fiction and even then only when you have trolls (Bigger than this piss-ant little gate) to operate it. RG you need a bigger gate!

I like RG's maxim that everything in the game has a place in the game world and is not just cosmetic. That was one of the good points he made in the PC gamer interview, I think.

See that is what he does though, this isn't new. The two hooded figures remind me of the shadow lords in ultima 5, I know they are not though don't worry.

After all Origin's mission statement: We create worlds was no lie.

Same here. Too many games designed with the idea of making a scene without meaning. Just as long as it looks pretty, mission accomplished. I hope he makes this message a reality with SotA.

Back
Top Bottom