The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Update 5 became available yesterday. It's a big update and will take some time to download.

Right now the servers are down because Turbine are installing a hotfix. Several bugs were introduced yesterday and it's good they fix them so soon. I guess the hotfix will also take some time to download once the servers are online again.

I'll try to do a download later today when I get back home.

The hotfix was quite a bit smaller and quicker than the V5 update. Seems to run fine so far.

I'm struggling a little bit right now. My 3 toons are all level 7 and have completed most of the same quests and aren't really tremendously viable for solo efforts on the quests in front of them. I'm thinking about building that 4th character so I can do some different quests for a change, but I just don't know what to make.

I kinda want to try a monk, but I'm very leery of spending the turbine points only to find that it isn't as fun as I thought. Other options would be a cleric or paladin, which would be well-suited for solo work. There just don't seem to be enough stat points to build a proper paladin—you need fair scores across the board and good scores in STR, WIS, and CHR. Even with 32 points, I wasn't satisfied when I tinkered a while back. I suppose cleric would be the best choice, but I always seem to play clerics (BG, NWN1, NWN2) and I've got a bad attitude about it. I've heard all sorts of horror stories about soloing rogues, so that appears to be a bad choice. And, just to forestall Corwin, it would be pretty pointless for me to run a squishy—bad for solo and really bad for Mr. Sumo here.

What to do, what to do?

Edit- the other thing I need to do is come up with a better way to plan my character development. My approach of having a "general direction" and then picking feats, enhancements, and skills that seem apprpriate and fun just isn't getting it done. I need to sit down with Peter for an hour and map it out click by click from level 1 to level 20. Are there any online character planners out there that might help? I think that might be part of my growing malaise as well--as a dedicated spreadsheet gamer, it's becoming clear to me that I'm failing dismally in my min/max duties. I really enjoy playing with Peter due to his skill, but a session with him always leaves me a little frustrated since it highlights for me what "proper" character development looks like.

My apologies for the whiny novel.

Last edited:
How do you guys get so high so fast. 2 of my chars are still only level 6 (and just there) and I've had them WAY longer than some of yours!! I'm terrible at solo play, but what else is new. When you're my age you're lucky just to find the keyboard!! :)

There's a character builder you can use to plan out a character's entire 1-20 advancement available.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=87799

I knew there was a hotfix coming soon, as there were a metric ton of bugs introduced. One of which made all XP bonuses act in reverse; a 10% pot gave you a 90% penalty, Radiant Servant Aura not working as intended etc...

Whats bad is that these same bugs have been prevalent on the test server, and were utterly ignored. As a whole, the forum community is not happy with the update, and those who went to the test server were largely negative on much of the changes. About the only good stuff was the guild stuff (which was borked and disabled shortly after launch), new quests, and the new Cleric PrE... which doesn't work right and is rather expensive, though most of the cost is stuff most clerics will have anyway.

I would wait until the full extent of the combat changes are noted before buying a Monk. It's a clickie combat class, reliant on spamming several special attacks in sequence to unlock finishers. Used to be very fast, but we'll have to see how they handle in the new update.

One of the worst introductions to Update 5 is that several items require a certain guild level to be used. E. g. I got 2 items (one required guild level 25 and the other guild level 45). Getting so high will take a lot of time. I would hate to e. g. get a +4 wis item for my cleric only to realize I can't use it since I would need guild level 40 to use it.

I think the hotfix added something so we can acquire more guild points to advance in level. We get some from solving quest parts (more on higher difficulties), but we can now find in chests and select at end rewards heroic loot that will add guild points. Joe and I did Proof is in the poison yesterday and acquired several hundred guild points and got us to level 2. So we might be able to advance a little faster after the hotfix.

You can purchase a level 32 character build from the DDO store. You can even buy a veteran build (starting at level 4). I've done that and it means I can start with better characters. It's quite important to have a proper build. I can certainly help you with character planning, especially with cleric and paladin builds.

Here is the build for my two weapon fighting paladin, Karl Peter Aspenstein (level 14 now):

Code:
[u][b]Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.34[/b][/u]
[url=http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO]DDO Character Planner Home Page[/url]

[B][U]Karl Peter Aspensten[/U][/B]
Level 20 Lawful Good Human Male
(20 Paladin) 
Hit Points: 342
Spell Points: 275 
BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
Fortitude: 23
Reflex: 17
Will: 14

[B]                  Starting          Feat/Enhancement
Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
[U](32 Point)[/U]       [U](Level 1)[/U]             [U](Level 20)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]Strength             15                    21
Dexterity            15                    17
Constitution         14                    16
Intelligence          8                    10
Wisdom                8                    10
Charisma             16                    22[/COLOR]

[B][U]Tomes Used[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]+1 Tome of Strength used at level 1
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 1
+1 Tome of Charisma used at level 2
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7
[/COLOR]
                 Base Skills         Modified Skills
[U]Skills[/U]           [U](Level 1)[/U]            [U](Level 20)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]Balance               5                    14
Bluff                 3                     6
Concentration         2                    18
Diplomacy             3                     6
Disable Device       n/a                    n/a
Haggle                3                     6
Heal                 -1                     0
Hide                  3                     3
Intimidate            3                     6
Jump                  5                    16
Listen               -1                     0
Move Silently         3                     3
Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
Perform               n/a                   n/a
Repair               -1                     0
Search               -1                     0
Spot                 -1                     0
Swim                  3                     5
Tumble                n/a                   n/a
Use Magic Device      n/a                   n/a
[/COLOR]
[B][U]Level 1 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Balance (+2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Jump (+2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Toughness[/COLOR]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Human Bonus) Two Weapon Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Follower of the Sovereign Host[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Extra Smite Evil I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Toughness I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 2 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Balance (+0.5)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Jump (+0.5)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Human Improved Recovery I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Charisma I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 3 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Courage of Good I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Bulwark of Good I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Extra Lay on Hands I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Racial Toughness I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 4 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=red]Ability Raise: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]STR[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Extra Smite Evil II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Toughness II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 5 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Human Adaptability Strength I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Divine Sacrifice I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Divine Might I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 6 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Power Attack[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Resistance of Good I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Racial Toughness II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Energy of the Templar I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 7 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Knight of the Chalice I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 8 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Concentration (+1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Extra Lay on Hands II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 9 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Bulwark of Good II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Charisma II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 10 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Energy of the Templar II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Divine Might II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 11 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Extra Smite Evil III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 12 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Courage of Good II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Divine Sacrifice II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 13 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Extra Lay on Hands III[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Knight of the Chalice II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 14 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Unyielding Sovereignty[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 15 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Exalted Smite I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Divine Might III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 16 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=red]Ability Raise: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]CHA[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Bulwark of Good III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 17 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Exalted Smite II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 18 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Concentration (+2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Oversized Two Weapon Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Extra Smite Evil IV[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Knight of the Chalice III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 19 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Divine Sacrifice III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 20 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=red]Ability Raise: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]CHA[/COLOR]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Concentration (+2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Weapons of Good[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Divine Might IV[/COLOR]

Last edited:
You can get a +2 superior tome for about 1500 turbine points at level 7. That gives you +2 to all stats. You gain items who give you additions to stats as well.

Right now I have +5 con, +4 wis, +4 str, +4 cha, +3 dex items, This brings my paladin to wisdom 14 so he can cast level 4 spells. I have enough mana to do what I want.

Many who plan a paladin build makes the mistake of placing points in wisdom. In regular DnD it was important, but in DDO it's a dump stat. The reason is that you can bump the wisdom from 8 to 10 with a +2 time and further with a good item. All you need is 14, but in the end game you will have +6 items. Then you have wis 16. Having a very high wisdom won't help the paladin much. Bumping it from 14 to 16 will give him +1 will save and maybe 30 or so more mana points.

Intelligence is also a dump stat. The skills you need the most are jump and balance. If you buy a +2 int tome you get another skill point from level 8. I used that for concentration, but it can be used for another skill (use magic device for example).

My shown build is for a two weapon fighting paladin. That's the build that will give the most DPS (damage per second) especially at higher levels. Turbine nerfed TWF a bit in update 5, but once you get all of the TWF feats you will spawn an offhand attack 80% of the time. So about level 12 you will have almost the same DPS as before.

I selected to spend a feat on Khopesh because it's the best martial single hand weapon in the game due to the x3 critical modifier instead of the x2 for the longsword. So you will get many more criticals with a khopesh.

I made my build so I can get divine might 4. DM4 will add +8 damage to every hit each for one minute by spending one turn undead attempt. With a TWF build it will significantly add to the DPS. DM3 will only give a +6 damage bonus. The stat requirements are hard for divine might. DM1 requires a natural cha 14, DM2 needs cha 16, dm3 needs cha 18 and dm4 needs cha 20.

In order to get cha 20 at level 20 you need to start with cha 16 at level 1, buy a +2 cha tome and use the ability increase at level 16 and 20 to increase cha instead of strength. With items you can have a cha of 26 and higher. That will give you incredible saves and great power to lay on hands.

I went with knight of the chalice for the TWF because the defender of siberys is based upon a shield using paladin. Knight of the chalice is great in the high level quests where most of the bosses are devils and demons.

The feat oversized two weapon fighting can be changed to something else. It depends on whether I want to have a khopesh in my offhand without penalty or not. I will make the decision once I see which weapons I have at that level. Alternatives can be Force of Personality to get cha modifier as bonus to will saves instead of wis modifider or extra turning to have +4 more chances to use divine might etc. between rests.

With my paladin build you simply can't go wrong. You need to gather a nice khopesh (e. g. holy) and a short sword or similar and collect stat enhancing items. For the build to work you should get the 32pt build and buy +2 tomes. But if you do then you have a really powerful and fun to play character. My paladin can certainly do his share even among elite players.

Here is the build for my cleric, Rolf Peter Manstein (level 14 now):

Code:

[B][U]Rolf Peter Manstein[/U][/B]
(20 Cleric) 
Hit Points: 282
Spell Points: 1681 
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 15
Reflex: 6
Will: 21

[COLOR=blue]Strength             16                    18
Dexterity             8                    10
Wisdom               18                    28
Charisma              8                    10[/COLOR]

[B][U]Tomes Used[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]Balance               0.5                  11
Bluff                -1                     0
Concentration         6                    26
Diplomacy            -1                     0
Haggle               -1                     0
Heal                  4                     9
Hide                 -1                     0
Intimidate           -1                     0
Jump                  3.5                  11
Listen                4                     9
Move Silently        -1                     0
Open Lock            n/a                    n/a
Perform              n/a                    n/a
Spot                  4                     9
Swim                  3                     4
Tumble               n/a                    n/a
Use Magic Device     n/a                    n/a
[/COLOR]
[B][U]Level 1 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Balance (+1.5)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Concentration (+4)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Human Bonus) Extend Spell[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Follower of the Sovereign Host[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Life Magic I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Energy of the Zealot I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 2 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Wisdom I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 3 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Mental Toughness[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Divine Vitality I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Extra Turning I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 4 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=red]Ability Raise: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]WIS[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Life Magic II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Extra Turning II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 5 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Human Adaptability Wisdom I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Energy of the Zealot II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 6 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Heighten Spell[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Divine Vitality II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 7 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Life Magic III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 8 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Balance (+1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 9 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Quicken Spell[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Energy of the Zealot III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 10 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Life Magic IV[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 11 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Wisdom II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 12 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Empower Healing Spell[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Improved Empower Healing I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Improved Empower Healing II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 13 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Improved Spell Penetration I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 14 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Improved Empower Healing III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 15 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Spell Penetration[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Divine Vitality III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 16 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Improved Spell Penetration II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 17 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Energy of the Zealot IV[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 18 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Greater Spell Penetration[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 19 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Improved Spell Penetration III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 20 (Cleric)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Jump (+1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Divine Intervention[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery III[/COLOR]

This cleric uses dex, int and cha as dump stats to maximize wis and get decent con and str. The build is intended for a melee capable cleric who can cast offensive spells with great efficiency (improved spell penetration etc.) and being an excellent healbot.

The build is based upon a 32pt build and buying +2 tomes.

At level 8 or 9 you should replace the feat Mental Toughness with Maximize
At level 12 or 12 you should replace the feat Extend with Empower.

You get enough spellpoints at level 8 or so to do without mental toughness. With maximize your offensive spells like flame strike, holy strike, blade barrier etc. will do more damage. You don't need extend anymore at level 12 or so because the duration will be long enough for buffs without the extend. By changing to empower you get 50% more damage from your damage spells. A blade barrier with both maximize and empower will give HUGE damage to the monsters moving through it.

Here is the build for my paladin, Peter Stauffenberg (level 8 now)

Code:

[B][U]P Stauffenberg[/U][/B]
(2 Fighter \ 18 Paladin) 
Hit Points: 342
Spell Points: 225 
BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
Fortitude: 26
Reflex: 17
Will: 15

[COLOR=blue]Strength             15                    24
Dexterity            12                    14
Intelligence         12                    14
Wisdom                8                    10
Charisma             16                    20[/COLOR]

[B][U]Tomes Used[/U][/B]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]Balance               1                    12
Bluff                 3                     5
Concentration         2                     8
Diplomacy             3                     5
Disable Device        n/a                   n/a
Haggle                3                     5
Heal                 -1                     0
Hide                  1                     2
Intimidate            7                    29
Jump                  6                    19
Listen               -1                     0
Move Silently         1                     2
Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
Repair                1                     2
Search                1                     2
Spot                 -1                     0
Swim                  2                     7
Tumble                3                     4
Use Magic Device      5                    16
[/COLOR]
[B][U]Level 1 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Intimidate (+4)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Jump (+4)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Tumble (+2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Use Magic Device (+2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Fighter Bonus) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh[/COLOR]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Power Attack[/COLOR]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Human Bonus) Toughness[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Fighter Haste Boost I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 2 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Intimidate (+1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Use Magic Device (+0.5)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Armor Class Boost I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Focus of Good I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Extra Smite Evil I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Toughness I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 3 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Two Handed Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Charisma I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 4 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Courage of Good I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Bulwark of Good I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Resistance of Good I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Extra Lay on Hands I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 5 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Human Adaptability Strength I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Energy of the Templar I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 6 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Extend Spell[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Divine Sacrifice I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Extra Smite Evil II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Divine Might I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 7 (Paladin)[/U][/B]

[B][U]Level 8 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Intimidate (+3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Jump (+2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Exalted Smite I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Defender of Siberys I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 9 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=orange]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Use Magic Device (+1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Combat Expertise[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Fighter Strength I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 10 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Bulwark of Good II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Extra Lay on Hands II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 11 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Resistance of Good II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Toughness II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 12 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Divine Righteousness I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Divine Might II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 13 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Human Improved Recovery II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 14 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Extra Smite Evil III[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Defender of Siberys II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 15 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Greater Two Handed Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Extra Lay on Hands III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 16 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Bulwark of Good III[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Divine Sacrifice II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 17 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Divine Might III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 18 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Dodge[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Resistance of Good III[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Exalted Smite II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 19 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Charisma II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 20 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Defender of Siberys III[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Fighter Intimidate I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Paladin Extra Turning I[/COLOR]

This build is based upon splashing fighter at level 1 and 8 to get more feats and enhancements. The sacrifice is that my paladin won't get the level 20 capstone enhancement (weapons of good which gives 1d6 / 2d6 vs evil outsiders extra holy damage to all attacks).

The build is based upon a 32pt build and buying +2 tomes at level 7.

The feats are selected so the paladin will get the entire two handed weapon feat tree. This means the paladin can swap from using a longsword + shield to a two handed weapon in fights where having a high AC is not vital. THF (two handed fighting) will have a much higher DPS and sword and shield. This means the paladin can both deal a lot of damage and be a genuine tank.

The paladin uses a lot of skill points on intimidate and use magic device. The first is needed to help getting aggro and with e. g. a +10 intimidate item the paladin can keep aggro even in high level boss fights. Use magic device is needed to be able to use high level scrolls (raise dead, heal etc.).

The paladin uses the defender of Siberys line so he will get a very high AC indeed who can withstand most fights, but the high level raid bosses.

Here is the build for my cleric, Peter Policus (level 8 now)

Code:

[B][U]Peter Policus[/U][/B]
(20 Cleric) 
Hit Points: 272
Spell Points: 1546 

[COLOR=blue]Strength             12                    14
Charisma             14                    18[/COLOR]

[B][U]Tomes Used[/U][/B]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]Balance               0.5                   9
Bluff                 2                     4
Diplomacy             2                     4
Haggle                2                     4
Heal                  4                    11
Intimidate            2                     4
Jump                  1.5                  11
Swim                  1                     2
Use Magic Device      n/a                   n/a
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Energy of the Zealot I[/COLOR]

[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Extra Turning[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Heal I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Prayer of Life I[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Heal II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Charisma I[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Energy of the Zealot II[/COLOR]

[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Empower Healing Spell[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Radiant Servant I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Improved Turning I[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Human Adaptability Wisdom I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery I[/COLOR]

[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Maximize Spell[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Divine Vitality III[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery II[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Radiant Servant II[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Improved Empower Healing I[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Improved Empower Healing II[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Improved Spell Penetration I[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Improved Empower Healing III[/COLOR]

[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Greater Spell Penetration[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Charisma II[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Energy of the Zealot III[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Divine Intervention[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery III[/COLOR]

This build is based upon a 32pt build and with buying +2 tomes at level 7.

In order to use the new Radiant servant enchancement (great vs undead etc.) the build has a good charisma and less strength. So this cleric is the super healbot with some offensive firepower later on (increased spell penetration, maximize etc.). He can do some support fighting as well with a good armor, shield and mace.

In order to increase the damage from holy strike, flame strike, cometfall, blade barrier etc. it's a good idea to replace the feat Extend with Empower at level 12 or so.

This cleric build is a great build for clerics who like to primarily do the typical cleric jobs, i. e. heal and buff the others. He won't do as much damage due to lower strength, but will have incredible heals to keep the group alive. The radiant servant ability will both be useful for healing and damaging undead.

Since the number of turn undead attempts (used e. g. for radiant servant) is based upon charisma it's advised to start with 14 charisma and get extra turning feat for +4 turn attempts. If you memorize the spell seek eternal rest (+4 level when turning) and get a sacred item (+2 level when turning) you can destroy quite powerful indead. The radiant servant will destroy undead instead of turning them.

If you haven't played a cleric before or don't want a battle cleric then this build will make sure you can perform both at low level and high level.

Last edited:
Well, I see two major differences right off the top. I haven't planned anything around buying tomes, which makes a big difference on how you'd distribute ability points in the beginning, me thinks. Also, since my characters are designed with solo in mind, I can't help but dump points into spot and search--the thought of missing all those secret doors pains me greatly.

Really, my ranger is probably the best match to my desired skill set and ability to solo, but she frustrates the hell out of me in quests where there isn't room for kiting (like the final battle of catacombs) since she simply can't handle toe-to-toe melee.

After doing the reincarnation, I'm pretty happy with my barbarian, but he's not nearly as suited to solo play as I expected. Might be better if I find him a spell resistance item, but ultimately he needs some sort of healer to patch him up regularly.

I suggest getting a secret door detection item. That helps instead of having to use skills for search.

My clerics and paladins are great at solo play at lower levels. A good build is a good build. :) So I haven't designed them specifically for group play. If I only played solo I would probably not have bothered with divine vitality, but that's about it.

Divine vitality is very nice to have in a group because you can replenish mana for a character who is low on mana. Corwin's wizard has become used to having my cleric in the group because he gets so many spell points back from my divine vitality (can cast it 12+ times between rests). So he likes to be quite aggressive with casting fireballs, haste etc. When he plays with CM as a cleric (without divine vitality) he tends to run out of mana quite early and if a shrine is not nearby then we're in trouble.

I respecced Rolf Peter Manstein to be using Radiant Servant

Code:

[B][U]Rolf Peter Manstein[/U][/B]
(20 Cleric) 
Hit Points: 282
Spell Points: 1651 

[COLOR=blue]Strength             16                    18
Charisma              8                    10[/COLOR]

[B][U]Tomes Used[/U][/B]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]Balance               0.5                  11
Bluff                -1                     0
Diplomacy            -1                     0
Haggle               -1                     0
Heal                  4                    11
Intimidate           -1                     0
Jump                  3.5                  11
Perform              n/a                    n/a
Swim                  3                     4
Use Magic Device     n/a                    n/a
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Heal I[/COLOR]

[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Mental Toughness[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Prayer of Life I[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Heal II[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Improved Turning I[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Divine Cleansing I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Divine Cleansing II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Divine Light I[/COLOR]

[COLOR=violet]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue](Selected) Heighten Spell[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Divine Light II[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Extra Turning II[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Extra Turning III[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Improved Spell Penetration II[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Improved Spell Penetration III[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Cleric Prayer of Life II[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Why the dedication to points in balance? I've only seen 2 monsters so far that use knockdown much, well, 3 if you count minotaur charges.

There are quite a lot of monsters at high level who can knock you down. Having a high balance won't prevent you from being knocked down, but it reduces the time you're prone. It's especially important for a cleric since the entire group depends on the cleric to heal people before they die.

The most important skill for a cleric is concentration. So I improve it every level. The usual skills of heal and diplomacy are quite useless for a cleric in DDO. It's because of the way they're implemented.

Heal will only improve the number of hitpoints you get back when you use a rest shrine. I can with a cure light wounds with lots of healing enhancements give 60+ hitpoints. So gaining a few extra will not help much. Diplomacy can be used to get rid of aggro, but clerics rarely get aggro anyway. In RPG DnD it was important for both clerics and paladins to have diplomacy because you could use it for conversations to obtain information.

So it means the cleric is left to bump skills they rarely use. Jump is nice to bump because it can make you fall down less often. You don't need balance that often, but when you need it then you're in trouble with a low balance skill. So I found the skills needed to keep my cleric in action most of the time.

Do you have suggestion to other skills the cleric would need more? I'm mostly in groups so I don't need skills to find / disarm traps etc.

Look here for info about the skill usefulness:
http://ddowiki.com/page/Skill_usefulness

Back
Top Bottom