Dragon Age 2 - Interview @ Strategy Informer

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Strategy Informer had a quick Q&A session with Robyn Theberge, Development Manager, about Dragon Age II. They discussed the art style, setting, the console version and more:

Strategy Informer: Why did you choose to have such a focused experience this time around? Not only have you broken away from the main DA story line, but you've also restricted things so that you can only be either a human male or female.

Robyn Theberge: Well we wanted to tell a specific story, we wanted to broaden the Dragon Age world, and we wanted to introduce you to another part of that. So the Champion of Kirkwall, we wanted to frame that story and help you define that - so you get to define who that champion is - are they a good guy, are hey diplomatic - given the confines of that experience yeah we did narrow the scope of what you could play as. You can't be an elf or a dwarf, but you do have that iconic story and that 'rise to power', and that's why that decision was made.

Strategy Informer: Obviously not everyone was as impressed with the console version of DAO as the PC version - have you done anything to improve things there this time?

Robyn Theberge: The combat system is much faster, the PC is still quick, but on the console the changes to the combat are much more evident. The art style too is pretty consistent between the two, I don't know if you were at GamesCom but it's pretty close. And honestly I've heard some of our artists say that they prefer it on the PC, some prefer it on the console. Everybody has their own opinion.

Strategy Informer: I assume Bioware will want to return to the story started in Dragon Age: Origins, and obviously you have this separate thread here now. Are you setting these up to be two different franchise? How is it going to work from here?

Robyn Theberge: It's all within the same franchise, it's all within the same world - we're just telling a different element of the story. These are Feraldens that you didn't encounter, but they're escaping the blight much like everyone you encounter in DAO is. It's been said that you can import over some of the decisions you made in DAO so it will have an effect for those that have played it but it's also a new entry point for those who haven't played DAO.
More information.

Robyn Theberge: The combat system is much faster, the PC is still quick, but on the console the changes to the combat are much more evident.

I liked the combat as it was. It was quick enough! Now you want to make it so I can kill everything if I just give them a nasty stare.

They really need to shut up about how they are "improving" this game.

I liked the combat as it was. It was quick enough! Now you want to make it so I can kill everything if I just give them a nasty stare.

They really need to shut up about how they are "improving" this game.

They wont you know in there own words every sequel has to be different why would you want it the same.I have never seen a company or press journalist bash a game that was successful and won a game of the year award.Every article I always see dragonage jibes on how it failed.Even on the pc.Congratulations on the feedback given to bioware now were stuck with what we get.

'You press a button and something awesome happens'

Sickens me.

This game is off my list . Dungeon Lords is a better RPG than the way DA2 is sounding .I always thought we could depend on Bioware for a good game, Man i hate console mentality .

I will wait and see. ME 1 and 2 were entertaining (if not very unique story-wise) so I might buy it to experience a nice story.

Personally I found the battles in DA to be pretty dull after a short while. There were simply way too few types of enemies.

Back
Top Bottom