Elemental: War of Magic - Development Update

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Brad Wardell gives us another update on the current state of affairs for Elemental. He will be stepping down as project manager now that, as he explains it, most of the technical issues have largely been resolved. Tomorrow he will be announcing who will be taking over as project manager. Brad hints that it's someone who is well known and respected within the PC gaming community and who has a great deal of project management experience:
After careful internal consideration, it was decided that we needed to bring in someone with a great deal of project management experience. This way, Elemental and our future games would have a dedicated, experienced, full-time Producer and I would be able to get back to running Stardock as a whole.
Tomorrow, we'll be announcing the new Producer for Elemental and, in all likelihood, Stardock's subsequent games that we develop. This is a person that is already well known and well respected in the PC gaming community and we're very excited to be able to hire someone with his talent, experience, and qualifications to succeed me as the Producer on Elemental.
We are going to have Elemental: War of Magic v1.1 be the transition between he and I. After that, we'll begin work on the first expansion pack for Elemental which will be given to all people who currently own Elemental: War of Magic. I won't go into any details on that expansion since our new Producer will be heavily involved in the specifics of the design.
Our goal for Elemental to become a worthy successor to classic games like Master of Magic has not changed and we will be continuing to endeavor to make that a reality. Stay tuned!
More information.

You know, I'm really thinking of buying this.. i tried it, and it sure does have some great idea's.. Anyone have any opinions on this since the 1.09 patch?

I'd be curious to hear folks' thoughts, too, although I'll likely wait until at least ver. 1.1, as someone advised me earlier.

Besides, I'm quite enjoying Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic right now, which is new to me and 1/5 the price. =P

State of the game

1.09 is, for me at least, relatively bug free and pretty good performance wise as well. It's also quite a bit more fun than previous versions. However, 1.1 will introduce really significant changes in gameplay. I plan on relearning the game entirely, and although Elemental is now in a state where I can tentatively recommend it, I'd recommend holding off until that update is released.

He did the most excellent Fall From Heaven mod for Civ IV, one of those rare mods it is entirely worth buying the original game to play.

(Not that Civ IV ain't an excellent game in its own right.)

Based on what I've heard about the FFH mod, I suspect this will mean great things for Elemental's future. Time will tell though...

Producer = designer?

If so, then there's hope - at least.

Obviously, project management is only part of the problem with Elemental. The real issue is the utter lack of a game design, which I find somewhat troubling. It's as if someone came from outer space with absolutely no knowledge of what a game is about, and just "designed" Elemental on a whim - after looking at a few screenshots of Master of Magic and Civilization.

It's strange how things work out sometimes. The poor guy gets sacked from making a retail Fall From Heaven and then gets picked right back up by Stardock.

Talk about your lucky breaks for both him and us. I believe this guy can pull a few tricks out of his magic bag to make Elemental great. If anyone has played FF2 you know how good it is. It's absolutely amazing what he did with only modding tools for Civ IV.

I've been playing 1.09 for awhile and the pacing and feel of the game is close to the original Gal Civ. It's fun, no troubles except for one showstopper bug (negotiating when your opponent's bank is in negative numbers causes huge floating point math errors... like "now I have -2478543958 gildar" errors) that popped up once. If I didn't run into that one, I'd expect review scores ranging between 65%-90% with one or two above that.

DArtagnon, your hyperbole is way over the top.

I've been playing 1.09 for awhile and the pacing and feel of the game is close to the original Gal Civ. It's fun, no troubles except for one showstopper bug (negotiating when your opponent's bank is in negative numbers causes huge floating point math errors… like "now I have -2478543958 gildar" errors) that popped up once. If I didn't run into that one, I'd expect review scores ranging between 65%-90% with one or two above that.

DArtagnon, your hyperbole is way over the top.

Get back to me when you've opened your eyes :)

There's a saying out there that goues like this :

"People try to point out the bar of wood [from the Bible] people have before their eyes -
- but they don't see the huge wood truss they have before their eyes themselves."

Back
Top Bottom