VtM: Bloodlines - Unofficial Patch v8.1 Released

What you heard from fans is that the later levels feel "rushed", and that is true to a degree, and also has absolutely nothing to do with what we were talking about. KotOR is not as "interactive" as VtM:B. Which game has better/worse level design might be subjective, but the level of interactivity is not.

I'm not going to waste anymore time on this though. Imo you should reintall VtM:B and give it a full playthough. You can talk all you want about how it's not worth your time, but you're obviously in the minority when it comes to your opinion on this game.

I know i'm in the minority, and i've already given my view of why i think people are overly forgiving to its shortcomings. About the interactivity we'll have to agree to disagree, they felt pretty similar when it came to interactivity. Could you even set traps or repair broken things (doors, terminals?) in vtm:b?

I know i'm in the minority, and i've already given my view of why i think people are overly forgiving to its shortcomings. About the interactivity we'll have to agree to disagree, they felt pretty similar when it came to interactivity. Could you even set traps or repair broken things (doors, terminals?) in vtm:b?

Because you don't like VtM you're likely a terrible person and everything you say is completely suspect...

Just kidding...Mostly :)

Tragos: Sunrise? I'm pretty sure you're confusing it with being a vampire in some other game (TES?) There's just night time in VtM:B, in Oblivion for example you actually have to avoid sunrise and crawl into some undergrorund area or house during the day to not get hurt. Maybe i misunderstod and you mean you pretend you have to be quick? I dont see how that is very immersive though, i think i prefer when i actually dont have to pretend there's cars or day/night cycles etc.

As much as I loved VTMB, I must admit it was a bit disappointing that there was never any need to hide from the sun, which I imagine should be an important aspect of any vampire game.

I like that the game takes place at night only - it´s one of the defining aspects of the setting and part of the game´s "atmospheric" charm.
One timed quest that would take place right before the sunrise would be cool though.

Also, Bloodlines rulez.
It does have a fair share of shortcomings, but it also does some things exceptionally well and that´s, as in the case of a lot of other games, what it´s a classic for :).

Day/night cycles would probably only have made sense if it was less linear. The game is far from the worst i've played, i just happen to think its overrated. Hope to see more Vampire RPG's, something open world like GTA but with vampires and RPG elements, that's something i'd love to see.

Hope to see more Vampire RPG's, something open world like GTA but with vampires and RPG elements, that's something i'd love to see.

Agree there.

I also felt that VtMBL was a bit cluncky at the beginning with not so good combat, but I was very impressed once I progressed deeper and started to experience the freedom of choices and consequences, the stories and the atmosphere. Unique and distinct, not the best but one of the few games with memorable events and characters (like New Vegas).

I don't see what day/night cycles have to do with a game being linear, which VtM:B wasn't anyways.

I think DeepO hit the nail on the head though. VtM:B was more about atmosphere than simulation/realism.

In a open world game like TES it makes more sense because you can go treasure hunting in some dungeon or whatever during the day hours. Not sure what you would do in VtM:B during the days. Doesnt sound too fun laying in a coffin or reading emails ;) The game world is pretty linear and cramped, for example the second city doesnt open up until you get to that part in the main story line, AFAIK.

What does that have to do with VtM:B? ;)

Sure you can compare it to TES, which is an entirely different kind of game, but pretty much everything is linear compared to TES.

What it has to do with Vtm:B? It was a comparison, and yes TES is entirely different indeed, like i said, it makes more sense in those types of games than in more linear games. If you think i'm wrong maybe you can give examples of how day/night cycles would enhance the more linear and non-simulation like games.

Except that every game is more linear when using TES as a benchmark. My point is that VtM:B isn't a very linear game on its own.

It's worked out just fine for me. Thanks for your concern though. ;)

Just not in the mood to continue a useless debate.

Bloodlines is about the decadent and seedy night life atmosphere; it has no need for a day/night cycle in my opinion. To speak of one demonstrates a critical failure in understanding what makes Bloodlines so great. ;) The night atmosphere is just exemplary. Simulationism; this isn't.

I'll admit the combat heavy nature of the second half of the game grated on me slightly for my first character, but I don't recall the game overall being particularly linear. Not that I think that idea is a valid criticism by itself anyway, since linearity can be a good thing. :)

Back
Top Bottom